Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an na..and im just going to replace the engine this summer...i was wanting to replace the head gasket and break just about everythig down to get some stuff painted and cleaned...ill be getting a jdm engine with low miles of course....but my question is...im really new to doing this...what tools would i exactly need to break down the entire engine....install a metal headgastket...clean the hell out of it...and put it all back together again???

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
If you are just going to replace the block, then you should only need a regular set of common tools. For the headbolts you'll need the 10mm allen socket deal. Whereabout in DFW are you? A few of us are getting together tomorrow and you can ask more detail with them.... sounds easy enuff tho. Look at all the how-to lists and tech-tips that are out there for engine removal/replacement. Good luck!

·
slower than a turtle
1,096 Posts
if you go to a metal head gasket you need to get the block deck and head resurfaced. you dont really need any special tools i am basically finished rebuilding my na engine. the big question is are you going to replace the valve seals and take the head apart. then you need a valve spring compresser and a little bit of skill. the head job took us a couple hours its easy just very very lengthy

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well im going to order a jdm engine...so the headgasket is going to be fine...i just wanted to upgrade to a metal headgasket because they tend to work better with the 7m....they dont blow as easy and what not...i want this to be a summer project for me...im about to graduate high school...and im new to cars in general...but it should be to hard having some labeling skills and a digital camera....i plan to take it all apart...learn it up nice....re lub it here and there...put here all back together...and install it

·
Registered
552 Posts
DrumnBassBBoy said:
.i just wanted to upgrade to a metal headgasket because they tend to work better with the 7m....they dont blow as easy and what not...i
is that true? :kekegay:

Your still going to need to get the head resurfaced atleast, and most likely the block...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is it possible i could replace it with a reg. head gasket and not get a metal one and not have to have it resurfaced?....would it still hold up better than the stock...i dont feel like blowin a hg

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
DrumnBassBBoy said:
is it possible i could replace it with a reg. head gasket and not get a metal one and not have to have it resurfaced?....would it still hold up better than the stock...i dont feel like blowin a hg

Well it seems as though your interested in going turbo later on, so I would just install a MHG now rather then install the stocker only to have to replace it later with a MHG when you go turbo. Later.

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
Not really sure as I have never had to have it done, I bought a fully rebuilt engine so the surfaces were already good. If you search I am sure you can find something with an estimate. Later.

·
I wanna go fast!
166 Posts
its usually around 40 bucks...it depends where you go

1 - 11 of 11 Posts