Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks..i was always wondering..due to the fact that mine has one and it a 87...so i guess the previous owners (sob's) cut the top

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
was installed by the dealer more than likely

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
they dont suck!..its better if ur lazy like me...u just press a button and they slide back...want to come back...then press it again..by the way damn you Bishop!..when i baught my 92 the bumper paint look like it just got out of iraq..did u repaint urs?

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
No, my front and rear bumpers are fading. The teal apparently didn't get a clear coat or not a very good clear coat on the bumpers.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Bishop92T said:
No, my front and rear bumpers are fading. The teal apparently didn't get a clear coat or not a very good clear coat on the bumpers.
mine too. actually the roof is the worst, clearcoat is almost gone. good thing i have hookups in the bodywork industry, should have it repainted this summer or the spring afterwards.

back on topic: my 92 has the sliding sunroof. opens up 75% as much as a targa with 1% of the hassle.

·
DFWSupras
1,627 Posts
yeah my old 87 NA had a sunroof. Took it appart and found some BMW parts liek relays and the motor so I don't knwo what to make of it. I'v seen other mk3s with the same sunroof. As for the thin clear coat. I think I must have been a 92 thing because Kevin's (Mello) red 92 has some fadeing on the hood.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Originally posted by Nocheez back on topic: my 92 has the sliding sunroof. opens up 75% as much as a targa with 1% of the hassle. [/B]
It's not even close to 75% as much. It's more like 50% at best. The roof section that opens is somewhat large but that frame on the inside blocks off a few inches on each side greatly reducing your view.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
{shrug} i love my sunroof.. i was dead set on a targa but the hastle of taking it off and all... im w/wu_tang..press 1 button to open 1 to close...no need to even stop and its a 1 person job. plus being 6'1 the extra inch when its closed over the hardtop (had that first and kinda miss it actually) is nice {shrug} my 02 sorry bishop gonna have to disagree w/ u on this one

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
1 person job? I don't know how weak or short you are, but I'm 6'1" and have no problems taking my targa off solo in less then 60 seconds.

Now before anyone calls me out on the Targa vs sunroof surface area I went ahead and measured. Targa is 42" x 24", sunroof is 25" x 16".

Targa surface area 1008in^2
Sunroof surface area 400in^2

edit: Wet noodle effect goes away with bracing, this has been discussed many times. Water leaks go away with new seals/rubber treatment.

·
Boost Creep.
432 Posts
Okay, okay Alan. Chill. I think it's just a case of liking what you happen to have better.

There are advantages and disadvantages on either side. I know for a fact that I wouldn't use a targa top nearly as often as I use my sunroof. I open it at 80mph on the freeway all the time. When I get tired of it, I close it just as easily.

Targa does have a far larger opening, and provides a feel that is more akin to a real convertible... If you like convertibles, this is a good thing. (I happen to hate convertibles)

Regarding the chassis flex issue... I must differ. My car has bone stock swaybars, and no strut braces, etc... Larry's car (Larry_A to people here) has big swaybars, strut tower braces front and rear, the do luck RXB, and the targa top... We've swapped cars back to back, and we both agreed that even with the disparity in aftermarket components, my car had a far stiffer chassis.

-B

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Okay, okay Alan. Chill. I think it's just a case of liking what you happen to have better.
See the username, see the signature? The name is Bishop.

Regarding the chassis flex issue... I must differ. My car has bone stock swaybars, and no strut braces, etc... Larry's car (Larry_A to people here) has big swaybars, strut tower braces front and rear, the do luck RXB, and the targa top... We've swapped cars back to back, and we both agreed that even with the disparity in aftermarket components, my car had a far stiffer chassis.
Well of course the targa will never be as stiff as the hardtop. My point was merely that the sunroof is no match for the targa. If you want to race get a hardtop, if you want to have the convertible experience and look good doing it get the targa.

·
Boost Creep.
432 Posts
Bishop92T said:
See the username, see the signature? The name is Bishop.

Sorry bout that. I hate using handles or usernames, so I try to use a person's real name. I got your username mixed up with someone else's.

-B

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
reread my post... im 6'1 also...but rather than stop the car, get out, open the hatch, pull out the targa, put it on, screw it down, close the hatch, get in the car, and get back to boosting :) seems like a bit more work than pushing a button {shurg} didnt mean to bash targas..i still want to find one jsut happens i currently have a sunroof model i think i can accurately talk bout my own personal experience..sorry bishop didnt mean to flame

1 - 20 of 28 Posts