Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Supersonic Potato
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an interisting one. strongly considdering putting a supercharger on my n/a 86.5 . I know I know swap to a gte but i want to be different and have a chalenge. any recomendations on what blower to use. has anyone done this before? PLEASE i am open to ideas on making this work. I do have someone who is realy good with a mandrel bender

·
0 Posts
vortech, pro-charger or paxtons are really good and well known as far as i know.

·
Supersonic Potato
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I heard a rumor the other day that vortec has or had an electric supercharger. anyone heard of this? that sounds ideal (no belt drag on motor) please let me know.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have heard of an electric supercharger but as i remember it made maybe 3 pounds of boost MAX..

And doing the math (i didn't do it) it wasn't really worth having it from the amount of power it used.

Supercharged supra.... This i gotta see.... can it be done?

·
Supersonic Potato
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope it can be done. Anyone with ideas and comments would be good we will see how this one ends up. Hopefully with 1 sweet ride, any sugestions on a fuel controller? I imagine i will need one with this. Hopefully standalone.

·
0 Posts
heres something to think bout... build a 7m-GTE with the best parts you can bye. bigger turbo, 8:1 c.r., rods, pistons, heads, etc, etc, etc. than add a vortech supercharger and a 100shot of laughing gas. any ideas???:devil:

Y

·
0 Posts
NaturalBreather:

I thought of putting an Eaton M45 or M62 on my 86.5. The problem is getting the mountings, which no one makes. I don't have access to a machine shop, but since there are Eatons mounted on a whole raft of production cars, you probably could do some creative welding if you had the tools. I thought I would probably have to give up the AC to drive the blower because it would mount it in the compressor's spot. Let us know if you go ahead.

·
Supersonic Potato
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah i was planning on dropping the ac , no prob there. I am going to start working on it as soon as i find the blower that i like (dont even know what it is yet) I have no problem with fabing up some mounting brackets, any turbo guys what intercooler do you use?

Y

·
0 Posts
NaturalBreather,

Let me know if you are successful, and if you are and want to make a second bracket, consider an asking price: obviously the type of blower determines the bracket.

I have done some research, as I am sure you have. It appears there are three basic types; 1) The traditional Roots-type produces a constant pressure at all blower speeds; 2) The Twin-screw, which is also a positive displacement type similar to Roots, but uses (as you might guess) twin screws instead of lobed rotors to compress air; and 3) The Centrifugal, which appears to be the most popular for fuel injected engines, producing pressure proportional to blower rpm. There are a lot of manufacturers, and one may have a bracket that "almost" fits. You might try Accessible Technologies, B&M, Nelson, Paxton, Eaton, or Vortech which you mentioned, amongst others. Good luck, and Happy 2002.

S

·
0 Posts
There isn't much reason to go with a supercharger other than to be "cool" because nobody else has it.

While I dont understand it, my friend has an 82 supra w/ 6MGE that he has an EATON (i'm thinking M60) sitting on the side and it's the coolest shit I've seen.

With that in mind it can be done without too much effort, but you HAVE to have welding and fabrication skills. Nobody is going to make a kit so you can forget that. You just have a bracket fabricated to put a supercharger in the A/C location so that it can use the belt that would have been for the A/C.

This would be using a vortec type setup (the one that looks like a turbo). If you want a setup like what the TRD ones use, you must fabricate an intake manifold that will bolt to the EATON supercharger that includes the throttle body as part of it. This could be done as well, then move your alternator down to the A/C location.

If you are wondering why IS300 has theirs on the exhaust side, that is because there is space there. There is no distributor that is in the way, so there is plenty of space for a supercharger there.

I have seen one guy that used a large EATON hanging over the exhaust manifold. He moved the throttle body to the EATON, then had a pressure pipe that ran from the EATON to the intake manifold, w/ no IC. This worked, but what funky setup.

Bolt on a turbo and blow past the guy with the silly supercharger.

·
Supersonic Potato
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah planning on fabricating the brackets. I have a turbo mk3 also but want to see how this ends up for a fun project as much as anything else. i am getting a vortech v-5. vortech says its good for the six cyl motors and up to 540 hp. I will not be running it that hard though. And yes I am putting in the MHG

Y

·
0 Posts
SoCalSupras:

I think the advantage of a blower is that, depending on the model, you can turn them on and off as you like (like the AC) and you still have relatively high compression for around town use. Also you get quicker response than with a turbo. For those of us who are not after the 8.9 second 440's, a supercharger is a (arguably) better way to go.

B

·
0 Posts
if it works out ill buy the blower also. If you want to make another set of brackets ill buy one.
-Ben

·
Registered
191 Posts
count me in too, been looking around a long time and this is probably the closest ive seen anyone come. I have acces to fabricate and weld, but design issues are the problem.

[email protected]

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
The easiest way to supercharge is to just get a SC-14 from a 1g-gze and stick it on. It's a roots-type gear driven SC.

It bolts up to the A/C pump brackets, uses the same belt, and even has an electric clutch you can use to turn the charger off.

I believe they make around 14 PSI of boost.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sounds like an interesting project. How much $$ are you looking to put into this? I have an 1986.5 too, so i'm curious.

·
deadbeat extraordinaire
449 Posts
just a thought but if you are actually going to go through all the work of supercharging a 7m i wouldn't bother witha centrifugal unit because they build boost with rpm e.g if your goal was say 10 #'s at 6000rpm you mignt only be making 5 lbs at 3000 rpm,. i would look into lysholm (screw) type superchargers, they are a positive displacement type and they are very efficient, up to 80%. whipple sells head units for reasonable prices. the problem with screw type chargers is size and if high boost is your goal intercooling pipe routing could be difficult.

and you cannot turn aftermarket supercharger's off because they are direct drive. the only way to turn it off would be to clutch the driven pulley or set up some kind of intake bypass.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts