Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright so I started my 87 turbo today and it was running like pure shit and kept dying if I didn't give it gas. Since then I replaced the spark plugs, wires, iacv, afm and o2 sensor. Now it won't die but it runs super rough still with the idle going sporadic between 500-900 rpms and wants to die. The CEL stays on until I rev up to 2000 rpms and then the CEL goes away until I let up off the gas and it starts to do the same thing over again. It's running super rich with a bit of black smoke coming out of the exhaust. My next guesses are the ignitor or the distributor which I'm prob gonna change out now. Has anyone had similar problems or have a good guess??? Any input helps and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spark plug gap is on spec, I changed out the igniter and the ground is good, I changed out the cps. Weird thing is I hit the afm body with a screwdriver and it started running better lol so I just switched the body with another one and it started doing better, I think I just need to mess around with the timing its running super rich. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checked the timing and the last guy who did it put the cams facing down instead of aligning them with the cam cover knotches, what an idiot. So that fixed it perfectly lastnight but when I was driving to work this morning it started messing up again... Back to the lab. I checked everything on the afm and it's all good. If anything I'm givin in and taking it to a mechanic to see what's wrong with it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Checked the belt and it's still good. The symptoms seem to be that of a bad knock sensor? Runs fine till it gets warm then feels like there's no power and semi rough idle. I replaced the easier knock sensor but the one behind the starter is a bitch. Last but not least my ac fans seem to be constantly on now. Thanks for the input fellas, lets see if I can fix this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.