Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost sold my Supra...but im having a hard time letting it go. With that being said, something I saw on a forum on another website had my interests go up. I know there was a TRD supercharger made for the IS300 (vvti). I have been googling like a monster this morning trying to get some info on a Supercharger for my NA. Yes I know Turbos more effecient, 2jzgte swap or im a noob etc etc. This is different and kind of cool to me so thats just that I guess. I searched the forums here found a few threads found out some of the companies that made them had died off and some threads saying its possible, some saying its impossible. I did find this -http://www.superchargertuning.com/shopping_cart/addProduct?id=1

Fake?
Anyways Im not looking for a monster build, I just thought this would be kind of cool and fun to do for the time being and its unique.
Possible?
Where to find one?
Anyone has done this?
If you think its stupid fine, I already know your opinion on turbo thats ok this is just something that im researching at the moment. If anyone has any knowledge on the subject it would be appreciated.

·
Band on the Run
1,043 Posts
There is a reason its not really documented on this website, because its probably more expensive then it would even be to just buy a jdmtt setup(which is only 2-3k) the supercharger kit alone looks to be 5-6k(and its discontinued) and then needs to be installed and tuned(to be done right) . The other problem with this, these were made for a vvti ge like you said so an even smaller subset of people would have tried to install this on a non vvti n/a supra. No problem with trying to be different , Theres a person on this forum LRG soup who was an awesome ITB N/A supra who spent probably more then what a TT motor costs. But overall when it comes to the supra its been documented time and time again cost vs goals a TT setup is always the easiest/cheapest way to go in the long run. Hell if you dont know ANYTHING about motors in general if you buy a TT motorset you can then learn exactly how to change parts on the supra and see how everything works. The supra is one of the easiest motors ive ever worked on and when its out of the car especially every part is only 2-4 10/12/14 mm bolts away from being off the motor.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I heard its impossible to do though. Looking around NA-T.
How could it be impossible to supercharge any internal combustion engine? It isn't. It can be done to any motor. The cost and complexity and results are variable but it is never impossible.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Supercharging is DEFINITELY feasible. However after all is said and done your going to spend a lot more for a lot less hp if you were to just turbo.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It's been done. A friend of mine has a supercharger on his NA and has spent the past few years (and a lot of money) trying to get it to work without problems. I'll try to point him to this thread but as what most others have said, it is a lot more expensive than going TT and a big thing for me is being able to find resources and help if anything does go wrong. With such a rare build it's been hard to get help since not many people have gone the S/C route. But yes, it is a rare and unique build so if you go with that route, that's awesome, you will stand out and be different. Good luck and be fully prepared with what you're getting in to.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wait, if you heard its impossible and think it is, why do you want to do it?
Thats what made me interested. The fact no one else has really done it and its a rare thing. In essence mounting a Supercharger would be more low maintenance then a turbo set up but the thing is there are no superchargers for the the Supra making the install /setup difficult.

·
Registered
839 Posts
more low maint? like turbo's are sooooo much maint. What are you even talking about? pretty much what everyone has been trying to tell you is sure you can make one but there is no point. There are so many cheap turbo alternatives it would never justify spending 3k$+ for something sub-par in comparison.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i have a supercharger on my 98 sc300, vvti engines dont have distributor so plenty of room there. No way it would fit with the distributor, maybe if u used a 7m cps u could

·
Raising the BAR
3,325 Posts
Just do a rear mount turbo set up on the NA. I'm willing to bet no one has done it so you will be the first. It's cheap, almost anyone can do it and you won't have a clunky IC in your engine bay.

·
Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
4,587 Posts
There is a MKIV N/A in california with a supercharger, it is jade green

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Just do a rear mount turbo set up on the NA. I'm willing to bet no one has done it so you will be the first. It's cheap, almost anyone can do it and you won't have a clunky IC in your engine bay.
That would be different but what would you do with all that space on the passenger side of the engine bay..? Would prob look odd. Super charger would be different n ok to some ppl, but jus to be different and stand out you are spending a lot for a lil. Let us know what you decide

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a custom supercharger kit installed on my 2001 GS300 that I've since taken off due to selling the car. OP, if you're interested, I'll let it go for a cheap cheap price. PM me.

·
Super Moderator
10,059 Posts
I haven't done much with superchargers, but the best Supercharger setup I've seen in a MK4 was this one - it's an HKS Rotrex Centrifugal from a 350Z kit retrofitted rather nicely to a JDM SZ:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?660972-HKS-GT-Supercharger-Project
Though, somehow a bypass valve wasn't included in the setup. That was a learning experience for myself and a LOT of other people. One hell of a nice kit though - but with the HKS Rotrex SC topping almost 5k just by itself, that build would cost more than comprehensive and high quality NA-T setup. It'd be a very fun powerband and deliver a solid ~400whp though.

Rear mount turbocharging is for cars that have large engines (5.0L+) and such insane packaging issues that a traditional exhaust manifold mount is impossible or impractical. When there's $125 NA-T manifolds on E-bay you'd have to be a particular brand of crazy to go for a rear mount turbo just for the sake of being a unique snowflake.
The pumping losses in a rear mount turbo setup make a 61mm laggy on a LS1 with smaller hotsides - with a turbo of any decent size on a 2JZ-GE rear mount setup, the lag would probably make that 61mm spool like a 76mm, or thereabouts.

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
... you'd have to be a particular brand of crazy to go for a rear mount turbo just for the sake of being a unique snowflake...
:lol:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts