Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Wheel Fitment Guru
4,007 Posts
A local guy imported a rhd na supra with a HKS supercharger bolted to it. I think it made close to 350 whp. I am not sure on the size of pulley or boost he was running. Bang for buck, it would be cheaper to go NA-T than find another supercharger kit.

R.K.

·
Raising the BAR
3,325 Posts
I haven't done much with superchargers, but the best Supercharger setup I've seen in a MK4 was this one - it's an HKS Rotrex Centrifugal from a 350Z kit retrofitted rather nicely to a JDM SZ:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?660972-HKS-GT-Supercharger-Project
Though, somehow a bypass valve wasn't included in the setup. That was a learning experience for myself and a LOT of other people. One hell of a nice kit though - but with the HKS Rotrex SC topping almost 5k just by itself, that build would cost more than comprehensive and high quality NA-T setup. It'd be a very fun powerband and deliver a solid ~400whp though.

Rear mount turbocharging is for cars that have large engines (5.0L+) and such insane packaging issues that a traditional exhaust manifold mount is impossible or impractical. When there's $125 NA-T manifolds on E-bay you'd have to be a particular brand of crazy to go for a rear mount turbo just for the sake of being a unique snowflake.
The pumping losses in a rear mount turbo setup make a 61mm laggy on a LS1 with smaller hotsides - with a turbo of any decent size on a 2JZ-GE rear mount setup, the lag would probably make that 61mm spool like a 76mm, or thereabouts.
I agree and disagree. I have seen some Integras with rear mounts and they made awesome power with little lag, but you are right about the typical application of them. I was merely offering OP a ridiculous cure to his need to be unique and by no way am I endorsing that a rear mount on our cars is a good idea.

·
7M Fanatic
3,266 Posts
The one mistake I see repeated on supercharger applications to Supras, is too small of supercharger being used.
If your thinking of trying this, Summit Racing, and others have a good book that you should read first, called 'Street Supercharging'.
I have an Eaton M90 on my set-up, that is the minimum that should be used, and I wish years ago, when I had this brain fart, I would have waited until I found an M112.
I have a whole lot of machine work into a system, that on it's best day will only do 15 psi, and to get there will cause me to be running the blower at it's max rpm, and my engine less than it's max.

I have seen M60s stuck on 7Ms that are totally useless, as they are just too small, or if really overdriven, will far exceed the blower's ratings leading to rear bearing failure (a weak point on the Eaton).

I sell smaller superchargers to people with small displacement car & bike engines (500cc/rev), so I have been through a thousand calculations. You must do your home work first, and not just pick up a blower somewhere, and try to build around it.
I have one customer who is building a 2JZ with 3 of the little blowers mounted on a single manifold (and people think I get some wild-ass ideas!).
I haven't heard from him in a while, so I have no idea how it's coming.
If I get a chance later, I'll find the picture he sent me, and load it into photobucket.

In the mean time, here is my (what, 13-14 year old project ?) for my 7M.

·
Raising the BAR
3,325 Posts
As promissed, 3 Aisin AMR500 superchargers on 2JZ (my customer's project).

They will all be drivin via a jackshaft.
What is he going to do to make that fit? Cut out the driver fender and strut?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Wow this thread actually had a ton of cool stuff posted in it. I have been busy, sold off my celica working like crazy but im glad I came back. To the guy with the GS supercharger you would have to let me know the custom specifics. Most people are saying its not going to work on the ge for various reasons. To make it work would cost some $$. Id be interested though let me know! PM**
Also to the guy who knew the guy who imported the HKS supercharged NA does he still have it? Was it pretty functional?

·
Wheel Fitment Guru
4,007 Posts
Wow this thread actually had a ton of cool stuff posted in it. I have been busy, sold off my celica working like crazy but im glad I came back. To the guy with the GS supercharger you would have to let me know the custom specifics. Most people are saying its not going to work on the ge for various reasons. To make it work would cost some $$. Id be interested though let me know! PM**
Also to the guy who knew the guy who imported the HKS supercharged NA does he still have it? Was it pretty functional?
As far as I know, he still has it. Its functional as it gets. Its a supercharger.

R.K.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Everyone happy new years!

Just to shed some light on this thread and bringing it back from the dead. To answer everyone's question, yes there is a supercharger kit for the supra! However, the company that created the supercharger kit for me has said that because I was the prototype project for this setup it would be the only one they would sell. I did spend a pretty penny on this setup. It is NOT cheap! Ideally I didn't want the same setup as all the supra's that you usually see out on the streets (Big singles or TT's) and I wanted something unique. I wasn't too crazy about the power either as I aimed towards tracking the car so I wanted low end quick spool. Anyways, here's the specs and the story for the setup. I will post pictures of it as well as the dyno sheet later on!

I started this project running into a lot of issues as it was all unique and no one had any information on this. I had worked on it with my buddy who now owns a shop in town. At first, I decided to buy just the supercharger without the added intercooler, fuelpump, metal head gasket, injectors, intake, and header (this was dumb I spent twice as much doing this). To give some numbers into perspective. I dropped $10,000 on the HKS GT Supercharger itself with the bracket and HKS FCon that it came with. The whole kit would have costed me $13,000. I was just a student at that time working part time and I didn't want to spend the extra $3,000. I RECOMMEND ANYONE WHO BUYS THEIR SETUPS TO GET EVERYTHING TOGETHER AND NOT CHEAP OUT! Unless you know your stuff, don't piece things together and trial it! Also, thanks to all the supra forum community here that helped me on my problems with the s/c. Shoutout goes to Wreckless initially identifying the problem.

So, I pieced together everything and here is the list of mods:
HKS GT Supercharger
HKS Custom intake
HKS Fcon Vpro tuned by Justin Nenni
MK3 440cc injectors (I need to up this still)
Denso 255 lph fuel pump
Boost logic Intercooler/piping
HKS Hipower exhaust
Xerd header
Cometic 1.2 mm hg
Supertech Titanium valves oversized
Port and polished 2JZ GE Head
2JZ GTE Short block
Koyo Rad
Mishimoto dual electric fan

Initially we had installed everything and hoped it would start up with no problems but it ran super rich. Later figured that FCon IS does not configure and change the reading of low impedence injectors to high impedence injectors. With that said, I had to pick up new injectors (I wish I kept my high impedence 850cc's). I thought it was because my injectors were too big so I switched from 850cc to 440cc high impedence injectors not knowing that the IS couldn't read high impedence. So I then spent more money on an HKS Vpro $2000 later and after initial tune, I hear a feedback from the supercharger like turbo fluttering. It sounded like a wood chipper. The first shop which I will not name had installed an HKS Blowoff valve on my supercharger setup thinking it would solve the problem. That was dumb, superchargers use bypass valves NOT blow off valves! So I picked up a Vortech bypass valve and fixed the flutter issue. I will no longer deal with that shop ever again they charged me an arm and a leg for nothing. I then thought I blew a headgasket after 5 months of driving at an initial tune of 270whp. It was detuned because the shop "recommended" an exhaust header to be installed before reaching higher HP.

So, after thinking I blew my head gasket, I had to really think about whether I wanted to continue with this project. I loved my supra and I wanted to keep going and prove everyone that the supercharger will work! I bought a new head gasket (cometic 1.2mm for a 9.2 compression ratio), bought a 2JZ GTE Short block from MVP who shipped it directly from Japan's factory. I then went to a different shop in town to have everything put together. This shop in town did a GREAT job! kudos to Raymond on his knowledge of supras! After everything was installed, the car started up and ran the base map needing just a tune. During that year, Justin Nenni was in town and it was a great opportunity to have him tune my car. After $5000 from the install and $1200 more for the tune my car was finally complete!

The car currently runs at 360 whp at 300 tq. Absolutely no isses and I have 5000 km's on the car right now.
Thanks to First Gear, Invision and Silverzinc Motorsports for all their support!

Have a happy new years! Pics to come

Jong

·
Wheel Fitment Guru
4,007 Posts
Hey Everyone happy new years!

Just to shed some light on this thread and bringing it back from the dead. To answer everyone's question, yes there is a supercharger kit for the supra! However, the company that created the supercharger kit for me has said that because I was the prototype project for this setup it would be the only one they would sell. I did spend a pretty penny on this setup. It is NOT cheap! Ideally I didn't want the same setup as all the supra's that you usually see out on the streets (Big singles or TT's) and I wanted something unique. I wasn't too crazy about the power either as I aimed towards tracking the car so I wanted low end quick spool. Anyways, here's the specs and the story for the setup. I will post pictures of it as well as the dyno sheet later on!

I started this project running into a lot of issues as it was all unique and no one had any information on this. I had worked on it with my buddy who now owns a shop in town. At first, I decided to buy just the supercharger without the added intercooler, fuelpump, metal head gasket, injectors, intake, and header (this was dumb I spent twice as much doing this). To give some numbers into perspective. I dropped $10,000 on the HKS GT Supercharger itself with the bracket and HKS FCon that it came with. The whole kit would have costed me $13,000. I was just a student at that time working part time and I didn't want to spend the extra $3,000. I RECOMMEND ANYONE WHO BUYS THEIR SETUPS TO GET EVERYTHING TOGETHER AND NOT CHEAP OUT! Unless you know your stuff, don't piece things together and trial it! Also, thanks to all the supra forum community here that helped me on my problems with the s/c. Shoutout goes to Wreckless initially identifying the problem.

So, I pieced together everything and here is the list of mods:
HKS GT Supercharger
HKS Custom intake
HKS Fcon Vpro tuned by Justin Nenni
MK3 440cc injectors (I need to up this still)
Denso 255 lph fuel pump
Boost logic Intercooler/piping
HKS Hipower exhaust
Xerd header
Cometic 1.2 mm hg
Supertech Titanium valves oversized
Port and polished 2JZ GE Head
2JZ GTE Short block
Koyo Rad
Mishimoto dual electric fan

Initially we had installed everything and hoped it would start up with no problems but it ran super rich. Later figured that FCon IS does not configure and change the reading of low impedence injectors to high impedence injectors. With that said, I had to pick up new injectors (I wish I kept my high impedence 850cc's). I thought it was because my injectors were too big so I switched from 850cc to 440cc high impedence injectors not knowing that the IS couldn't read high impedence. So I then spent more money on an HKS Vpro $2000 later and after initial tune, I hear a feedback from the supercharger like turbo fluttering. It sounded like a wood chipper. The first shop which I will not name had installed an HKS Blowoff valve on my supercharger setup thinking it would solve the problem. That was dumb, superchargers use bypass valves NOT blow off valves! So I picked up a Vortech bypass valve and fixed the flutter issue. I will no longer deal with that shop ever again they charged me an arm and a leg for nothing. I then thought I blew a headgasket after 5 months of driving at an initial tune of 270whp. It was detuned because the shop "recommended" an exhaust header to be installed before reaching higher HP.

So, after thinking I blew my head gasket, I had to really think about whether I wanted to continue with this project. I loved my supra and I wanted to keep going and prove everyone that the supercharger will work! I bought a new head gasket (cometic 1.2mm for a 9.2 compression ratio), bought a 2JZ GTE Short block from MVP who shipped it directly from Japan's factory. I then went to a different shop in town to have everything put together. This shop in town did a GREAT job! kudos to Raymond on his knowledge of supras! After everything was installed, the car started up and ran the base map needing just a tune. During that year, Justin Nenni was in town and it was a great opportunity to have him tune my car. After $5000 from the install and $1200 more for the tune my car was finally complete!

The car currently runs at 360 whp at 300 tq. Absolutely no isses and I have 5000 km's on the car right now.
Thanks to First Gear, Invision and Silverzinc Motorsports for all their support!

Have a happy new years! Pics to come

Jong
Raymond built your supra? ROFL. Goodluck on your motor lasting.

R.K.

·
Registered
524 Posts
wow, just stumbled onto this, awesome info. jong can we get some pictures? also theres a bloke in the uk with a supercharged setup and a hybrid paddleshift auto of some sort.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
...The car currently runs at 360 whp at 300 tq....
Jong,

Congratulations for trying something unique but this is sort of like discovering a longer route to the New World that takes twice as long as the other route. At basic BPU with a few hundred bucks invested a MkIV TT does way over 400whp and 400tq.

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Wow.. 15k in the engine bay just to be unique is just stupid to me..
When you look at it at 360hp you are still getting smacked up by 200hp Hondas, holding even with a stock non turbo 3 series bmw, and don't stand a chance against anything in the amg series from Mercedes ..

Smh.. More power to you though for taking a different route.. I'm sure if you could do it all over again your probably would opt for a turbo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Raymond built your supra? ROFL. Goodluck on your motor lasting.

R.K.
Well it's been lasting so I have no problems with Raymond building my car. I watched him work on it daily and that man puts effort into his builds. Only time he doesn't is if he doesn't believe the car is worth his time or he just plain doesn't like you.

Jong,

Congratulations for trying something unique but this is sort of like discovering a longer route to the New World that takes twice as long as the other route. At basic BPU with a few hundred bucks invested a MkIV TT does way over 400whp and 400tq.

Happy New Year!
Wow.. 15k in the engine bay just to be unique is just stupid to me..
When you look at it at 360hp you are still getting smacked up by 200hp Hondas, holding even with a stock non turbo 3 series bmw, and don't stand a chance against anything in the amg series from Mercedes ..

Smh.. More power to you though for taking a different route.. I'm sure if you could do it all over again your probably would opt for a turbo
Yeahhhh I figured someone would say something like this. I completely understand where your opinion on this is. However, as stated I wasn't in for big HP as I do admit I'm a fairly new driver and I don't think I could handle the massive 1khp supras at this point. When Esprit Japan explained this to me, they said that if I wanted to up the HP for this, I would be able to increase the psi and reduce the pulley size. This was proven on their own supra in Japan that it ran 500whp. If you don't believe me, there are articles up of it around the net. I know i know... it's still ONLY 500whp. I honestly think that it's not about the numbers, it's about useable power. Having a supra that spins tires all day or rides on drag radials 24/7 is not my ideal setup for a supra.

Thanks,

Jong

·
Super Moderator
10,059 Posts
Personally, I love seeing Supras built with quality parts and any kind of outside-the-box thinking. I've loved your Supra's setup since you first posted it here, and I just wish you'd post more pictures of it!

I've gotten to drive a 350Z with a centrifugal supercharger on a few occasions, and while it's not top HP beast, it's a very enjoyable powerband and it was nice to have a faster car that was responsive, and could be enjoyed around town without needing a 1/2 mile of open road to find full throttle. I can only imagine your Supra is much like that, and would be a blast to drive.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts