Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who is talking of fitting a supercharger on his MKIV TT that has already undergone a single turbo conversion. His theory is that the supercharger will allow max boost to be produced instantly by the supercharger before allowing the turbo to take over. Unfortunately, I am not that technically minded and therefore that brief description may sound preety dumb but that was how I understood it.

My question is, does thsi sound a feasible project? If so, what do you think of the idea? Isn't it the perfect amswer to the lag issues we single turbo converts face?

BTW, please be gentle and dont hit too hard - as I say, I am not a technical genious :)
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
13,395 Posts
You're talking about a Roots-style blower. No thanks. They run out of breath on the top end. Totally different type of experience. I prefer the way the Supra's powerband is setup.

You can eliminate lag with a properly sized turbo.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
quick said:
You're talking about a Roots-style blower. No thanks. They run out of breath on the top end. Totally different type of experience. I prefer the way the Supra's powerband is setup.

You can eliminate lag with a properly sized turbo.
I think my description may have been a bit sketchy. What he is hoping to do is to have the Supercharger work from rev 1 (or as low as poss) and use that up to x revs before the single turbo then kicks in.

He is looking at using the set up for drag use so that he gets immediate power from the first push of the throttle thereby eliminating the need to hig rev it to launch. He is hoping that will give him a much better launch as there will not be the wheelspin associated with high revs.

Does that make sense? :dunno:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,665 Posts
quick said:
You're talking about a Roots-style blower. No thanks. They run out of breath on the top end. Totally different type of experience. I prefer the way the Supra's powerband is setup.

You can eliminate lag with a properly sized turbo.
Actually - Arnout will be clutching his with a magnetic clutch and it will be bypassed as flow overcomes the supercharger. It will be used for a low-end boost and pre-spool only on his car. Don't know yet how well it will work but the theory is sound...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,665 Posts
Honestly - I'd wait to see how Arnout likes it. He's going to be drag racing the car with it so I'm not sure that it will do much for him but I'm sure he'll give some driving impressions. BTW - it'll be in a MKII Supra with a solid axle that will have a spool locked up via air I think. Pretty wild and it appears to have dropped right in :eek:
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
13,395 Posts
BLKMGK said:
Actually - Arnout will be clutching his with a magnetic clutch and it will be bypassed as flow overcomes the supercharger. It will be used for a low-end boost and pre-spool only on his car. Don't know yet how well it will work but the theory is sound...
Sounds like a lot of complexity when the same effect could be acheived more easily with nitrous or some such... ?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,665 Posts
Arnout has a pretty good plan for this and in the class he's racing Nitrous may not be allowed or it may be too expensive - dunno. The AEM will be controlling the activation of the clutch, the blower came off of a Mercedes, and the valve is a mechanical device. He seems to have it planned out pretty well and it'll be interesting to hear how it works out.

BTW - did anyone catch the pics form the Tokyo Auto Show? Apparently HKS displayed a variable vane turbocharger, hopefully designed for gas. No really good details on it but given a choice I'd want to run something like that if it could be controlled! VROOM!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,665 Posts
ScrewDrvr said:
nitrous, stall, 2 step.

take you pick for instant boost.
You willing to trigger nitrous at 1500RPMs rolling into the gas? Live with a slipping stall moving in parking lots and backing into parking spaces? High stall converters aren't all fun and games and they slip at anything below their flashpoint. A 2step will only function for launch. Anti-Lag, which you didn't mention, feels like ass on the street until you spool - been there, done that. This may not be a great solution so it will be interesting to hear from Arnout on his driving impressions when it's done.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
13,395 Posts
BLKMGK said:
You willing to trigger nitrous at 1500RPMs rolling into the gas? Live with a slipping stall moving in parking lots and backing into parking spaces? High stall converters aren't all fun and games and they slip at anything below their flashpoint. A 2step will only function for launch. Anti-Lag, which you didn't mention, feels like ass on the street until you spool - been there, done that. This may not be a great solution so it will be interesting to hear from Arnout on his driving impressions when it's done.
It's a solid rear axle MkII? You really think he'll be daily-driving it?
:stickpoke
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,665 Posts
quick said:
It's a solid rear axle MkII? You really think he'll be daily-driving it?
:stickpoke
Arnout's car is racing in a street series but no I do not think he'll be daily driving it. Other's who may wish to duplicate this and learn from his experience MAY want to daily drive it. His setup will teach us something :stickpoke :hug:

BTW - it's not a 9inch or anything and he could put a reasonable solid axle in it :p The setup he's going with is a bit whacky - open rear with an air locker out of a truck. Mounts for the rear axle came out of a Celica of the same vintage. Neat stuff IMO, I'd love to have a 2JZ MKII!
 

· troll.
Joined
·
246 Posts
Back in the mid 80's, Toyota toyed with something similar; I saw a prototype at the Chicago Auto Show in 1986 in an MR2 engine IIRC, but it obviously never saw production.

Cheers
Rich B
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,665 Posts
Rich B said:
I thought the twincharger was not a Toyota thing, but an HKS product - As far as I know, it didn't make Toyota's production line, or did it?

Rich
Been trying to remember all night actually. I know they had a clutched supercharger but am not sure on the turbo :( I could swear I've seen twincharger on the back of an MR2 before but boy is my memory fuzzy. It would've been a GEN1 MR2 though, of that I'm pretty sure... <shrug> Been done a bunch and there was even a mag that did this with good results blowing through the blower but on a much smaller displacement motor and a far smaller turbo than I think we normally use. I don't think Arnout wants anything more than low end boost from his setup...
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top