Supra Forums banner

Supra A/C question

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Johnny Dangerously 
#1 ·
Just making sure...but isn't the low pressure port on the 87 supra a.c. the one on the compressor? I seem to remember it is...but...need to be sure...I hate exploding cans of R12...

#7 ·
noboostsucks said:
figgie are you sure the lines arent the other way around? I thought i read here before the thick line was the high pressure.
^ YES, Figgie is correct.
Suction (low side) are ALWAYS the larger diameter lines/hoses than the discharge (high side) are. ALSO, the high side access port is smaller than the low side port on the compressor, you'd need an adapter to hook up a gauge manifold set to the high side. < done for an obvious reason. (people using the old 12 oz tap-a-cans of R-12, hooking up wrong to the high side port and exploding in their face)

~ mike

#9 · (Edited)
noboostsucks said:
Thanks for the confirmation mike I was confused on the issue.

" Why is the 134 so expensive now? WTF happened?
"

R-134a is a HFC refrigerant where as R-12 was an CFC. Scientists believe that CFC's causes holes in the ozone layer that's why they were phased out for the newer HFC refrigerants.
Now get this: It was recently discovered and reported in the major national newspapers ( I saw it in the New York Times & USA Today) that the "newer" HFCs which R-134a is are a major cause of global warming. Holes in the ozone layer with R-12 or global warming with R-134a. So it looks like R-134a will be going the way of R-12 in the future. The price is already climbing because of its future ban. So stock up if you converted and can still buy it as new cars will be switching to a different refrigerant by 2010.
~ mike

EDIT: Walmart was selling out their stock of R-134a for $2 a can over a year ago. I bought 6 cans as my 93 Legend uses it. I don't even see it in Walmart anymore.

#11 ·
claytonio disastro said:
global warming is a myth, and it factually isnt happening. i dont care who says it is. $$$

right..i mean they ONLY have fuckin digrams of the damn hole in the o-zone layer and the EPA on their ass.... :rolleyes:

and yes, what SupraMikeCT said is correct...R-134A is becoming the new R-12 in terms of extinction and price. which fuckin blows because i just converted my shit to R-134A before this whole thing began.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.