Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 twin turbo supra which has been sitting in my garage for a month now.
The battery is dead but I need to get it into neutral to push it out of the garage so I can jump start it. how do I do that ?

It wont go into neutral until I start the car.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Uh, put key in ignition, turn to the ON position, depress brake pedal, press button on shifter, pull back to Neutral.

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
?????
I assume the car is an auto. When the key is in the 3rd position the shifter should be able to slide into N as long as you're on the brake and the steering wheel isnt locked. If the steering wheel is locked, just move it from side to side and it'll free up.

There's also a way to make the car go into N by pushing in that little tab piece near the upper left hand side of the shifter. I think you may need to take it off 1st but I don't recall.

·
rockin the two tone
191 Posts
Pop the tab off and then push down on the plastic lever, or if you just pull the shifter trim off it's quite easy to push it down.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I had the same damn problem FRI nite when my alternator died.... the battery would drain and I had to pull over so my father would give more juice to the battery.... well one time I stopped right in front of a damn exit and when I wanted to push the car clear of it, I couldn't just hold the brake with the key to the on position and throw it into N.
From what I been told, you definately need to press down the tab at the top of the shifter to get it into N.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Why not just buy a trickle charger from the auto parts store. I purchased one since my car is driven only on weekends if it is nice. You can keep a slow charge on it when you are not driving it so it won't die. Or just disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
23 Posts
is the battery suppose to die like that in a month? I also don't think not turning on your car for a whole month isn't a very good thing either. At least with small engines, the gas eats away at the gaskets and turns all nasty. Not quite sure about car engines but i suppose it's the same thing

·
Hardtopper Once Again!
1,709 Posts
PeaceOut said:
is the battery suppose to die like that in a month? I also don't think not turning on your car for a whole month isn't a very good thing either. At least with small engines, the gas eats away at the gaskets and turns all nasty. Not quite sure about car engines but i suppose it's the same thing
There are people that will let there cars sit in storage for years, furthermore there are people that let there cars sit for a few months every year during the winter season. As far as the battery, you may have something that is draining it or it may be old and can't hold the charge.

·
DTM/JDM Enthusiast
699 Posts
james said:
Pop the tab off and then push down on the plastic lever, or if you just pull the shifter trim off it's quite easy to push it down.
:iwdumbass

The drain test you guys are probably talking about it a parasitic drain test... Disconnect the neg. cable and put a meter on the neg. cable and on the neg. post on the battery. Forgot what the spec is but I think it was less than 1v

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
well if it's an auto
next to where your shift should be a little slot. little bit north of the P stick in your supra key matter fact any key then drag it down to N. i had to do this when my car i had to tow my car

·
Registered
23 Posts
TT TRD said:
There are people that will let there cars sit in storage for years, furthermore there are people that let there cars sit for a few months every year during the winter season. As far as the battery, you may have something that is draining it or it may be old and can't hold the charge.

This is with gas and everything in it? Doesn't gas rot after a couple months?

·
Hardtopper Once Again!
1,709 Posts
PeaceOut said:
This is with gas and everything in it? Doesn't gas rot after a couple months?
This a a quote taken off of a Corvette site I have posted on here many times when people have asked about storing cars;

"Another important step is to make sure you top off the fuel in the tank and add a fuel stabilizer. Some owners prefer to completely drain the fuel tank and lines, but this may be an open invitation for condensation to build within the fuel system causing premature corrosion. Most fuel stabilizers, such as Stabil, can be purchased at any mainstream automotive parts store."

The link to the site is; http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/care/storage.html

Also do a search here on supraforums and you will see this topic has been discussed many times.

Dave

1 - 20 of 26 Posts