Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone I am having the biggest problems with my brakes. here it goes. About 2 weeks ago I went to NTB and they resurfaced my rotors and changed pads. The pads were called wagoneers, something I didnt want , but the guy swore I would love them. Well about 1 week later they are squealing pretty bad. I take it in and the guy replaces them with the stock OEM pads. 1 day later they are squealing so damn loud I cant hear my self think, and the rear brakes by the way are the only ones squealing. So i just bite my lip and go buy new rotors, I just got them on today, they are the stock replacments. I am just curious if there is like a grace period for the brake pads or rotors to wear in or else i have no idea. please write back and tell me if anyone has any clue to what is goin on. thanks guys appreciate it. thanks guys.

·
Unchained
633 Posts
Squealing brakes.......

Most of the time, brake squeal is not caused by bad rotors or pads. Now, before I get corrected, yes, the brakes will squeal when worn as they reach the wear indicators. That is the squealing you want to hear. But, many times the brakes will squeal when, obviously, there is sufficient material on the pad, as you have discovered. The squealing is caused by the vibration of the pad. During braking the pad will vibrate at an extremely high rate causing the squeal. The best solution is to apply a small amount of brake pad adhesive to the BACK of the pad and backing shim before installing the brake pad. Many shops will not do this. It's an extremely simple cure and an easy do-it-yourself even for a first time do-it-yourselfer.

Set aside some time on the weekend or during a nice day, pull the wheels and fix the brake squeal. You'll like getting your hands a little dirty and the terrific satisfaction you will feel when you've done a job well. Good luck, have fun and enjoy!

Got a drink in my, got my toes in the sand.
Scott

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where can i get brake pad adhesive, how much is it and what is abrand name, etc. thanks

·
Unchained
633 Posts
Ucntcachme said:
where can i get brake pad adhesive, how much is it and what is abrand name, etc. thanks
I can't think of any particular brands off hand, but there are a couple different types. Some are a spray type others will come in a tube or small packet. Just about any auto parts store will carry a brake pad replacement kit. This kit would contain would contain (possibly) a cleaner, a packet or two of the adhesive and a couple popsicle type of applicator sticks.

NAPA, Pep Boys, Advance, Auto Zone; all would have this stuff available I imagine. If you can't find it in the store, ask a clerk, they are there to help you.

Squealing can also be caused by brake dust build-up. But, since you have new pads I doubt that is the case. Use the adhesive every time the pads are changed.

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
Scott

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
brakes again

I called the place and they said that they used the adhesive, and that the always do, on every car. so what else could be the problem???

·
Registered
785 Posts
I was having the same problem with the new rotors I bought and they resurfaced them and now everything is fine ! I didnt know that new rotors should be turned before applying them and also sand the brake pad with some 240 grit , just to clean them

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
"I am just curious if there is like a grace period for the brake pads or rotors to wear in..."

I remember reading on this forum a thread discussing the squealing problem and, to my best recollection, yes there's a 'grace period' of somewhere around 500 miles or so.

You may wana' run a search for the last 4 months.

Jay :cool:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VENEMOUS TT said:
I was having the same problem with the new rotors I bought and they resurfaced them and now everything is fine ! I didnt know that new rotors should be turned before applying them and also sand the brake pad with some 240 grit , just to clean them
I've never heard that new rotors need to be turned before use. They need to be cleaned, then heat cycled. Has anyone else heard of of turning new rotors?? Just curious - sounds like a shop scam to me.

Jeff

·
DitchByTheSideOfTheRoad
485 Posts
The turning of the new rotors I think is a shop scam IMHO...

As far as break in period...I have heard 100 miles... I have also read/heard that you can do a cycle of heating them up...I dunno which is correct or not...I though 500 miles was the break in period for tires.

Lates,
Brent

·
Very Senior Member
9,964 Posts
Re: brakes again

Ucntcachme said:
I called the place and they said that they used the adhesive, and that the always do, on every car. so what else could be the problem???
I bet if you pull the front pads (they are the easiest), you'll find they didn't do it.
I use a product called "Brake Quiet". It's kinda like permatex and you squeeze it out of a packet to the BACK of the pad (where it touches the caliper/pistons). Don't get it between the pad and rotor.
It only takes like 20 seconds when you are replacing the pads but is a pain later since you have to pull the wheels and pads.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the same problem last month. The Toyota factory shim kit is key. Without it my brakes would not stop squeeling. With it the work great with no noise. It is a shim kit with a small amount of brake grease. I promise that will fix your problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts