Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Supra members my 94 Supra battery went bad so I had them switch for a new one. Once I plugged it back in it cranks but won’t start. It makes the dududu noise like it wants to start but can’t. I tried jumping it with another car and still won’t start.. went to get the new battery tested and they say it’s good.

I would appreciate any help or recommendations for me to try next.

I been reading that I may need new spark plugs, starter, or could be my fuel pumps.

Everything was working fine until my battery went bad and I swap for a new one.

Appreciate the inputs

·
iSPOOL
1,181 Posts
It doesn't sound like your battery or your starter.
How long did the car sit with a dead battery? Have you checked your coilpacks & spark plugs? See if your fuel pumps are priming? Was anything tampered with while the car was down?

·
iSPOOL
1,181 Posts
Also are you on stock ECU or aftermarket? More info on your setup would help the others point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks for the replies, I am on stock ECU, my car did sit about 5-7 days with the dead battery because I was out of town. Since it was winter I didn’t take my car out much the last 5-6 months. About once a week for 20-30 mins. Nothing was tampered when the car was down. Only went to switch the battery out and install a new one. Made sure all connections are good.

I’m still learning about checking other parts of the cars and Would appreciate it if you guys can send me a link or advice on checking the spark plugs, coil packs, and fuel pumps.

I can’t tow it to the shop at the moment so really appreciate you guys helping out. Thanks

·
iSPOOL
1,181 Posts
Like @signalpuke said, check your fuses if its only been a week. Something could have went out when you connected the new battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey I checked the starter fuses and it seems okay. Any recommendation of what other fuses I should check ?

Anyone got a link or input on how I can check the fuel pumps. Thank you

·
Registered
561 Posts
1. Check the EFI fuse
2. Pull the spark plugs and take a look - if there is fuel flow, the plugs will be wet - this is an indicator of fuel flooding your cylinders - doing this will also confirm your pump is pressurising.
3. To check your coil packs, the simplest way would be to simply take one spark plug out, with the coil pack connected, and have someone else crank the car to see if there is visible spark on the spark plug.

These are the most basic, albeit not the most comprehensive, steps I could think of without you having to buy any other equipment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thanks for the inputs, turns out to be my fuel pumps. Is it something we can work on ourselves or should I get it towed to the shop.

Any recommendations on what fuel pumps part I should get? Thank you

·
iSPOOL
1,181 Posts
Hey thanks for the inputs, turns out to be my fuel pumps. Is it something we can work on ourselves or should I get it towed to the shop.

Any recommendations on what fuel pumps part I should get? Thank you
Glad you found it. Its not that hard to remove the in tank fuel pump, there plenty of write ups on here. Check them out and see if its something you want to tackle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, after reading through many threads and what others say about fuel pumps then would the

Walbro GSS342 255LPH

be a good idea to purchase and replace with? I’m on 2jz 3000gt and haven’t don’t much performances upgrades.

Replacing it seems doable ourselves but I did read that some solidering might be required during the fuel pump change. I’m not great with solidering so is there a process without that?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'm unfamiliar with changing out dead fuel pumps so I can't say for certain if soldering is involved, BUT... if there is, please don't do that near an open fuel tank full of fuel vapor. Nobody likes a car-b-que, or worse, death by explosion. I mean, it makes for a cool story, but...

Another way you can test to see if an engine will start, and diagnose a fuel system fault, is to spray a bit of ether (starting fluid) into a vacuum port on the intake manifold. Just a few seconds of spray, connect the line back up, attempt to start. It should fire up and run for a moment, but will die out if the car's fuel system has an issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts