Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so after she warms up to temp (my car) and say i stop at a stop light and just sit there and wait for the light, my car will slowly drop in rpm's to about 400 till she just dies. THis only hapens when it's warmed up and have been driving it for a while. I posted this befor (the thread seems to have disappeared) and one member said it was my sparkpklug wires. They were old, so i replace them, but it did not do the trick. Anyone else have any other bright ideas??

-thanks

·
Jessica Alba.. mmmmmm....
571 Posts
Can you turn the up the RPM's at idle?
My 1991 Celica used to struggle in the cold weather and die out at idle, so I turned up the RPM's at idle and that solved the problem.

There's my two cents.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check Idle Control and check for small boost leaks.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ok guys, i'v replaced :
Plugs
Wires
Cap
& Rotor

and i still have the problem. . . and it's an N/A
any other bright ideas.??

Hua said:
K Diggy of Beavercreek, OH says that it's an end user error.
. . .I might be stupid, but i don't have the slightes clue what you are talking about. Care to explain??

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wife's 93 Supra has just started to try to die occasionally at stop lights. I am not a toyota tech but am a gold certified Jeep technician and this is a common problem. Rarely do I see a defective idle air control motor, rather it is usually caused by a dirty throttle body. The port to the IAC motor gets gummed up and the computer can only compensate so much. I will be trying this on my wife's car as soon as I can get it away from her. Make sure to purchase a new t-body gasket. Remove t-body and remove all sensors. Take some combustion chamber or t-body cleaner with a toothbrush (do not use a wire brush or anything harsh, this will scar the walls and cause it to get dirty very fast) and go to work. Make sure the port to the IAC motor is clean as well as the IAC plunger. Note that if you don't reset the steps in the computer, it can take many trips before the computer relearns its values. I get an hour diagnoses and an hour for the t-body service at work, that'll be $180 please (he-he). I hope this helps your problem.

Note: This also cured the sticky gas pedal problem in my 94 toyota truck--throttle blade was all gummed up.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BlitzTT said:
just turn up ur idle on the car.....
i don't want to make the problem "go away" by Ignoring it and just turning up the idle, i want to fix the problme so it is the way it was befor this happened.

Flounder said:
My wife's 93 Supra has just started to try to die occasionally at stop lights. I am not a toyota tech . . . . I hope this helps your problem.
hmm. . .hey, i'll try it, i've tried everything else.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When was the last time you had your battery tested? I drove myself insane trying to figure out why my car would die at stop lights after it got warmed up.

I finally replaed the battery. It died one more time at the next stop light 5 minutes after I installed it, but then it never ever did it again. That was about 2-3 weeks ago. It also seems to idle a little more smoothly, if that makes any sense.

Don't ask me to explain why one had anything to do with the other, but the fresh battery fixed my car dying problem. Might be worth a free battery and alternator test at your local Advance Auto parts or Pep Boys store.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I adjusted the air idle control by unscrewing it from the trodle body and clean it. then put it back. it was dirty with bunch of stuff stuck to it. (at the tip) now the car idles at start 1300 then after a few minutes drops down to 750..

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i had the same problem. But I gave my car a tune up and it was fine after that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts