Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[IMG alt="David8833"]https://www.supraforums.com/d1/avatars/m/311/311411.jpg?1617604000[/IMG]
David8833
·Registered
Joined 2 d ago
·
6 Posts
#21 4 h ago

David8833 said:
Hi dbr95
Yea the engine check light was on before this , I have had the car off the road for three years
And after new fuel and spark plugs oil and oil filter we started the supra and was running good
Took it for a few short drives around my local
And it started missing running like crap and blowing lots of black smoke ,
I pulled over and reved the car and after a few mins it suddenly reved perfect
Got a fresh tank of fuel and great .
Next few days drive it and the engine check light started to go on and the car will not rev over 4000 rpm lost a lot of drive In the auto box but if you put it In 1 and 2 it drives not normal but a lot better than d and also a lot of black smoke .
I managed to get it home ,
Dropped the fuel filter installed a new one
New platinum plugs
And now a mechinic is saying the injections may be cooked , I took them out and connected them to a can of carbie cleaner as on YouTube also a 9 v battery and they sprayed like a jet but with no mist just a strong jet
He said this is not rite
Ok so all this time from when I reved it and it came good and then after I drove it
The engine check light was on
I tried to jump the terminals with the light on
And nothing the light stays on no flash
I have the ignition off before I jump the terminals and after turn it on but don’t start it and it all ways stays on dosent blink
I’m thinking I have a issue and need an obd1 or 2 computer to read it . Done exactly the same in YouTube vids on how to jump it but no luck .
So don’t know if I need to replace the injections now and I’m really lost
Need help pleaseeee
Sorry for the rant hope it kinda makes sense
But that’s basically my story for the suora
Also the only thing we done was disconnect the battery all the time cause we weren’t driving the car but since the fuel filter replacement and injectors we have not disconnected the battery tried to take it for drives after everything we do to the car plugs fuel filter and taking the injectors out
But every time the engine check light stays on and the auto tranny won’t drive normal
It’s like it’s in safety mode or something
And every time we get it back home after a short drive try to jump the e1and te1 but nothing
The light just stays on no blinks .
Though I’d add that.

·
Just a guy who loves cars
94' Turbo, Targa, 6 spd, Ren Red.
426 Posts
I might have missed it, but what year is your supra? Have you not plugged it into a code reader? We need more info.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I might have missed it, but what year is your supra? Have you not plugged it into a code reader? We need more info.
It’s a 93 auto
I have tried to bypass it with the paper clip
But it does not flash at all the engine light just stays on
Yeah I thought the only way is to hook a obd1 reader to properly access it and get the codes , can you add or help please

·
426 Posts
Yes, you need to hook a OBD1 reader to it. Once you have done that, then put the code or codes up and we can give you some ideas. On initial read I think it is likely an air problem. MAF or leak. Your A/F is all jacked up, i.e. super rich. I am assuming you have checked all fluids? When you pulled plugs how did they look? Wet, covered in black exhaust? After you changed the plugs was it good for a while? Are you GE or GTE?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, you need to hook a OBD1 reader to it. Once you have done that, then put the code or codes up and we can give you some ideas. On initial read I think it is likely an air problem. MAF or leak. Your A/F is all jacked up, i.e. super rich. I am assuming you have checked all fluids? When you pulled plugs how did they look? Wet, covered in black exhaust? After you changed the plugs was it good for a while? Are you GE or GTE?
Hi Chappy
Yes checked all fluids
When I pulled all the spark plugs they were just black /dirty form excess fuel
And the same as the new ones cause of all the smoke it’s pouring out
The supra is a ge
And once I put the new ones in it ran a bit better but after a short drive it acts the same
Do you think it’s worth changing injectors
Or hook up the rite computer and see what codes it throws up

·
426 Posts
Get the codes, for sure. I think this is going to be a A/F issue for sure. Your injectors may be an issue but I dont think they are the big problem here. I think you are not getting the right amount or air. I would try swapping your MAF (assuming you are still a MAF car). But, get the codes first.

Reactions: David8833

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get the codes, for sure. I think this is going to be a A/F issue for sure. Your injectors may be an issue but I dont think they are the big problem here. I think you are not getting the right amount or air. I would try swapping your MAF (assuming you are still a MAF car). But, get the codes first.
Thanks so much
I will try find someone with this computer to get the codes off the car and go from there
I will sus out the maf
To see if I can do anything
But as you said pulling the codes off first is the smart bet
What would you suggest to do to play around with the maf
And is this that mass air flow sensor
Chappy

·
426 Posts
Yes, MAF is the Mass Airflow flow. I am not sure if you can do anything for diagnosing it. If you have a friend with a Supra I would borrow theirs and plug it in. If not, save your money until you read the codes. OBD1 readers are cheap. In the states you can borrow them from auto parts stores but if you cant do that where you are you can check Amazon or ebay.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, MAF is the Mass Airflow flow. I am not sure if you can do anything for diagnosing it. If you have a friend with a Supra I would borrow theirs and plug it in. If not, save your money until you read the codes. OBD1 readers are cheap. In the states you can borrow them from auto parts stores but if you cant do that where you are you can check Amazon or ebay.
Ok thanks
No I’m in Brisbane Australia
I have called a few mechanics and my local one dosent have one but he said to keep calling or try a auto electrician
They are around 400 but don’t really want
To buy that only for this
So I’m not sure I’ll just call and see if any performance shops have one .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok thanks
No I’m in Brisbane Australia
I have called a few mechanics and my local one dosent have one but he said to keep calling or try a auto electrician
They are around 400 but don’t really want
To buy that only for this
So I’m not sure I’ll just call and see if any performance shops have one .
Thank you so much Chappy
I really appreciate the advice
I was lost and was going to replace the injectors as well but thought the car had been driving perfect before all of this so I can’t understand why all is a sudden there stuffed .
I will chase the obd1 reader get the codes
And I’ll be back for help
Thanks so much my fellow supra buds!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much Chappy
I really appreciate the advice
I was lost and was going to replace the injectors as well but thought the car had been driving perfect before all of this so I can’t understand why all is a sudden there stuffed .
I will chase the obd1 reader get the codes
And I’ll be back for help
Thanks so much my fellow supra buds!!
I was thinking about cleaning the maf but don’t know if you can

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Chappy if I disconnect the sensor will it make any difference
Or you think ot will still run rich ??
I googled cleaning it but they say it will ruin it with carbie cleaner
So I dunno
But I can rember it was only till recently we actually connected the maf sensor
I rember it was not even hooked up
And after a new air filter and piping to the Manafold that is when we noticed and connected it and after a few drives started blowing black smoke
Might be stuffed ??

·
426 Posts
I have never left it unhooked. You can try it and see if it changes your symptoms. I have also heard that cleaning a maf can damage it so the risk is there it is just a thin filament with air channels to keep air moving straight. Are your OBD1's different than ours? What kind of OBD1 reader are you looking for? They are like $25 here for a basic one!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have never left it unhooked. You can try it and see if it changes your symptoms. I have also heard that cleaning a maf can damage it so the risk is there it is just a thin filament with air channels to keep air moving straight. Are your OBD1's different than ours? What kind of OBD1 reader are you looking for? They are like $25 here for a basic one!
Not too sure
I think a mate of a mate has a obd2 Reader and might be able to get a lend

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also have a 93 auto and one day it did this. By then I had done a full tune-up - cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, cleaned MAF, adjusted and cleaned IAC but the black smoke and rough, rich running was due to a bad coil and a bad ignitor. Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also have a 93 auto and one day it did this. By then I had done a full tune-up - cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, cleaned MAF, adjusted and cleaned IAC but the black smoke and rough, rich running was due to a bad coil and a bad ignitor. Good luck!
Hi thanks heaps
I just had a guy mechanic come round and see if he can jump the terminals but he bumped why it won’t flash
But I will tell him that and hopefully have a look at that
I am trying to get an adapter to connect in the port and connect to a obd2 reader
In aus it’s so hard and no one has an obd1 reader so the connector comes in a few weeks and I’ll try connect it and see if I can get the codes
But keen to see what you suggested before
It comes
So over it been changing a few things and still nothing
Will keep you all posted
Thank you 🙏

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like a bad ECU, especially if you can't get the codes to flash. They should flash if you ground the proper terminals.

Al
I kind get it but the car has run perfect to this day
I hope it’s a sensor but I’m stumped

1 - 20 of 22 Posts