Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey you guys how long do you think a supra engine will live for if its well maintained, the reason for this question is because im looking for a supra 97 or 98 and my budget is $30,000 and im seeing alot of supra with the milleage in the 80k's. well any info will be appreciated thanks

Anthony

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
No telling how long an engine will last when properly maintained. Its a Toyota so its pretty reliable.

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
I've not yet see a factory installed motor fail by any cause other than lack of tuning or failure of aftermarket parts.

J

·
0 Posts
94 TT 6 SPD 30K ORIGINAL MILES
[IM ON MY THIRD MOTOR] "2JZGTE" [TIME BOMB IS TICKING]....YOU WILL GET:urowned:

·
Registered
658 Posts
As long as the oil has been changed and the comrpession is good the engine will last a long time. The thing you might be more concerned with is other things that break on an older car. Starter motors ac interior stuff. A good percentage of these cars have been owned by enthusist drivers who knew what they had and took car of their cars. Mine at 80000 literaly drives like a new car.

·
Super Duper Moderator
616 Posts
Stranger said:
hey you guys how long do you think a supra engine will live for if its well maintained, the reason for this question is because im looking for a supra 97 or 98 and my budget is $30,000 and im seeing alot of supra with the milleage in the 80k's. well any info will be appreciated thanks

Anthony
Supra, 80k miles = blown motor. ;)

·
Kancho Battle Garage
850 Posts
jkisneffect said:
94 TT 6 SPD 30K ORIGINAL MILES
[IM ON MY THIRD MOTOR] "2JZGTE" [TIME BOMB IS TICKING]....YOU WILL GET:urowned:
On your 3rd engine? What the hell did you do? Not change the oil?

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
TE27Levin said:
On your 3rd engine? What the hell did you do? Not change the oil?
It would have lasted that long even on the original oil but what did you expect from a guy who can't find the caps lock ;)

J

·
0 Posts
UACats said:
JKS how many miles do you have on the body then?
MY CAR HAS 30,000 ORIGINAL MILES NOT A MISPRINT
IE "THE WHOLE CAR"

I HAD THE BEST SPEED SHOP IN MASS CALLED "PRIME SPEED"
DO ALL THE WORK WHEN MY CAR WAS BONE STOCK

HE BOLTED ON THE T78 SINGLE UPGRADED FUEL SETUP ETC
THEN HE WENT TO TUNE IT/DYNO IT RESULT= BLEW THE MOTOR

SO I PAID HIM TO BUILD ME A 2ND MOTOR AFTER 500 MILES
RESULT CRANK WALK....... I PAID HIM TO BUILD ME A 3D MOTOR
I DROVE THE CAR TO A CAR SHOW IN BOSTON AND ON THE WAY
HOME THE CAR DIED

MY SUPRA IS AT A SHOP IN CT www.pruvenperformance.com
MEMBERS ON THIS BOARD CAN BACK UP THIS STORY
{THEY ARE TRYING TO FIGURE THE CAR OUT] "FINGERS CROSSED THE MOTOR IS OK~ JOHNNY

·
0 Posts
jkisneffect said:
MY CAR HAS 30,000 ORIGINAL MILES NOT A MISPRINT
IE "THE WHOLE CAR"

I HAD THE BEST SPEED SHOP IN MASS CALLED "PRIME SPEED"
DO ALL THE WORK WHEN MY CAR WAS BONE STOCK

HE BOLTED ON THE T78 SINGLE UPGRADED FUEL SETUP ETC
THEN HE WENT TO TUNE IT/DYNO IT RESULT= BLEW THE MOTOR

SO I PAID HIM TO BUILD ME A 2ND MOTOR AFTER 500 MILES
RESULT CRANK WALK....... I PAID HIM TO BUILD ME A 3D MOTOR
I DROVE THE CAR TO A CAR SHOW IN BOSTON AND ON THE WAY
HOME THE CAR DIED

MY SUPRA IS AT A SHOP IN CT www.pruvenperformance.com
MEMBERS ON THIS BOARD CAN BACK UP THIS STORY
{THEY ARE TRYING TO FIGURE THE CAR OUT] "FINGERS CROSSED THE MOTOR IS OK~ JOHNNY
sounds the first shop are just dumbasses who dont know what they were doing, you paid for their mistakes.

S

·
0 Posts
Stranger said:

Anthony
If it's taken care of it who knows how long. Mine has over 130K miles and the compression in all 6 cyls are within 5 and the leakdown results were from 4% to 10%. :)

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
Its a toyota and if you do the regular maintainence it will literally run forever. Hell, there arenumerous 100k miled MKIV's on this website. Just find one with service records. I did and I have all of them all since the original owner( I'm the thrid). 80k is nothing. Peter Blach layed 958rwhp threw the stock short blockwith 75k and Eric did it with 175k on the stock short block. Miles on the car is just a number and tells you where the car has been. Mine has just over 70k on it and will plenty more miles on it in the next 5+ years.

Just look around and you will find one.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Many of you from MKIV may remember Karli...or Kars4me2 who was probably the first hot chick to race a Supra well, we sold her 94TT auto with 130K miles and a few months prior to selling it she went [email protected] with very few mods on pump gas so, the motor will last a very long time! The key is keeping up with the maintenance and properly tuning your car.
Also, don't beat it every chance you get...good luck!

·
I CAN HAS WELFARE
3,413 Posts
Supra motors are very reliable :)

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
You can figure 150K + on a well maintained / not abused motor.
I have seen several hit that mark.

·
Big Member
707 Posts
i always heard of these horror stories of this "whistling" sound coming aroun 2500 rpms, and a big "whoosh" when you let of the gas, is that true?

T

·
0 Posts
Boon said:
i always heard of these horror stories of this "whistling" sound coming aroun 2500 rpms, and a big "whoosh" when you let of the gas, is that true?
My moms car doesent do that, that sounds like an exhaust leak to me.... usually happens when you let your cat out.

·
127 Posts
trilabs said:
My moms car doesent do that, that sounds like an exhaust leak to me.... usually happens when you let your cat out.
I belive he is talking about a turbo spooling, then the BOV venting.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts