Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, im 17 years old, I drive a 1983 Celica Supra, The car was the best car in the world in my eyes when I first got it. As I drove the car, the novelty in MKII's wore off. Now im looking at something in the MKIV area.

Once I have my car sold, I'll have 3-4 grand. Once I can get my loan with the 3-4 grand down payment, Where would the best place to look for a good deal on a preferably stock MKIV be, as close to Saskatchewan as possible, but I will drive half way across the country for one or even in to the states.
The only reason I want it stock because I want to know what is going in the car, who did it, and its always more fun to build your own car.

Opinions! For an almost street legal but drift car, sisnce Saskatchewans laws are not very hard on vehicle condition.
Some down the road plans for the MKIV:
Definately a 2JZ-GE or a 2JZ-GTE
A 6-Speed Tranny: The V160 or V161 or a 4-Speed A341E

What do you think the best combination would be for the MKIV?
Of course there are going to be other parts put on but the engine and tranny are first priorities.

Thanks
~Travis.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I'm a little confused. You're talking about buying a Mk4, but mention down the road plans for a 2J engine. The Mk4 comes with a 2J... unless you find one of the rather rare ones that have been swapped for something else, usually even crazier than the 2J.

One other thing... if you are at all concerned with the money you're going to sink into this, consider buying a car that's already built. You'll always save money buying someone else's completed project, cars are never a good investment.

As for where to buy them, that comes down to 3 real options.
1. Buy a Canadian spec car. This is the most expensive option, but it's also the most hassle free.
2. Buy a US spec car from the USA. This will be cheaper by a fair bit, and you still get the North American spec big brakes, etc. However, it's significantly more hassle to import into Canada, and you have to deal with imperial measurements on the cabin readouts. Not insurmountable by any stretch.
3. Buy a Japanese spec car from an importer. This will be a RHD version, even cheaper than a US market car, and this has it's own challenges. Smaller brakes than North American cars, headlights and mirrors set up for driving on the other side of the road, and so on. On the other hand, many of these are really low mileage cars.

PS: If you decide to consider a car that's already built, and you're not opposed to right hand drive, I'd seriously consider zazzn's car, his for sale thread is here: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?637334-Supra-93-RZ-and-Aristo-for-sale-IMMEDIATELY

·
Registered
163 Posts
How come I have never seen you around town before? It's not like weyburn is that big lol. I would suggest going with a Jap car, simply cheaper. What 18 year old wants to be paying off a $30,000 car loan? Also, it's Canada we can have all the RHD shit we want.

On another note, if you're thinking you're going to make mad stacks by working in the patch good luck. This rain has basically fucked it. It really sucks to be in it right now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The hard part is getting the loan not to be a dream killer but no bank will give you a loan for a car older than 12 years for the kind of money at least not in Canada. Build up your credit work on some credit cars maybe get a small loan for 3 grand to get your FICO score and credit rating high have a good relationship with the bank open up a tax free savings account maybe invest a couple grand in a GIC and then you might be able to get a line of credit and an personal loan to cover 30k... but i don't see that happening anytime soon. If you're talking about a drift car a Mark 4 Supra is probably your worse option I would get a 240sx, 350z, RX7 or even a Miata. A good MARK 4 Supra that's accident free which is really hard to come by will be around 30k unless you're looking for Right Hand Drive but to be honest i would never buy a RHD Supra why? They make them LHD the price of admission is more but you're driving on the wrong side of the car if i was in Japan then of course but in North America I don't think so. The only RHD cars i would buy is a EVO 4-6 or a Nissan Skyline GTR R34 when they become eligible to import just because they never made those LHD. But in the end its up to you who am i to tell you what to do. '

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Grim, If Im going to get one, Im probably going to import it, RHD doesnt bother me, are there and web sites/companies you would recomend going through to import?

Gordon, We have probably seen each other we just havent been formally introduced, oddly enough lol Thank god we are getting some sunlight and warmth right now, all we need is a little wind to blow the evaporation away.

I agree, the most difficult part is the loan, not to be contradicting or anything, but I like to think I have a few friends at the bank, I hope they might concider, even a high intrest rate, My hopes arent high right now, but sooner or later in my life, I wil lget one of these, Maybe not now, but someday. I have driven my friends automatic skyline ( I know what your thinking, why would it be automatic, I dont know, we bug him about it every day! lol) And I think its worth it in my opinion anyways.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I can't really speak to importers, never had any experience there. I vaguely recall one of the members who posts here - garagefujimoto? - something like that, anyway, either does imports or knows someone who does. And of course, our Canadian mod, Zazzn owns an imported Mk4, so there's a fair to good chance he knows something about it as well.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Always double your budget for a Supra. You will have your Supra which is a good start yeah but trust me.. you will always want to invest and buy things for your Supra. So you really need to double your budget in my opinion if you dont want to be dissapointed ahh ^^.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I imported my supra last year. I did countless hours of research for importers. Your best bet is JDMConnection. William (owner) is a great guy to deal with. We must of exchanged hundreds of e-mails trying to find the right supra for me. I believe he is located out west, as well... Good prices, too. They have a website too, send him an e-mail.

·
Ahh GODZIRA!
790 Posts
The hard part is getting the loan not to be a dream killer but no bank will give you a loan for a car older than 12 years for the kind of money at least not in Canada. Build up your credit work on some credit cars maybe get a small loan for 3 grand to get your FICO score and credit rating high have a good relationship with the bank open up a tax free savings account maybe invest a couple grand in a GIC and then you might be able to get a line of credit and an personal loan to cover 30k... but i don't see that happening anytime soon.
Really? I just walked into my bank and asked for 15k to buy a 20 year old car... 3 days later I was rolling like a boss.

·
Registered
110 Posts
you are too young for a mkiv and based on your description are a little confused about what you want with your car... maybe get into a mkiii? but that's just my opinion

·
Registered
110 Posts
you are too young for a mkiv and based on your description are confused about what you want with your car. keep reading the forums and learning, eventually after a few years when you can actually (not some sketch high interest loan in your teens) afford it then pounce on one... kmaybe get into a mkiii for now. but that's just my opinion wth do i know

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
get a 6 speed twin turbo mk4 or bust.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts