Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you manual guys know the difference in ET you made without a 2 step retard (launching with no boost) vs using a 2 step retard? A guy is making us one for our LS1 cars and I'm wondering how much this will help my et. The auto guys seem to generally be better only with their 60' and 330' times. I have a best 60' of 1.71 but launching with some boost might get me a low 1.6 and maybe aorund a .10 from getting a 10.99 et. Thanks for any info form your track experiences.

B

·
0 Posts
The best thing about the 2 step is how much easier it makes launching. You just leave it on the floor and worry about the clutch. If your tires are sticky enough to handle the power then I'm sure you'll gain some from leaving under boost.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well, first of all let me throw in a little disclaimer here… I am in no way, shape, or form an expert on drag racing! However, I do know a little about the fundamentals involved in, and the rules of thumb associated with, drag racing in general.

For instance, you probably know this already, but I’ll tell you anyways. If you were able to cut a tenth of a second off of your 60’ time that should translate into two tenths of a second in your ET. That said, the more power you can effectively put to the ground while coming off of the line, the better your 60’ times will be. However, since you already have a very good 60’ time, trying to improve upon it will not be an easy task by any means.

Additionally, I suspect that your LS1 (with forced induction power adder) already gives you substantial traction problems coming off of the line. With this in mind, I’m not sure how much having more power off of the line will benefit you. However, if you could boost off the line and manage to get traction then I would think that a 10.99 ET is right around the corner.

Try contacting Angel Robles (“angel” on surpaforums.com) from Florida… I know that he’s got a two-step in his T78 Supra and he seems to know quite a bit about drag racing! I’ll vouch for his skills too because I got lined up next to him for my very first run at Las Vegas 2001 (my first time ever at the track too). It was very ugly! :D I ran a 14.1 to his 10.x, but I attribute the 10 cars he had on me as I passed the 60’ marker to his two-step! :D

Good luck with that 10.99 ET!

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
Sorry but Angel doesn't have a two step. We were talking about it over sushi last night. He thinks it would probably work for most people but for him, it isn't his style. he leaves the line high and hard. 1.5X on MT streets. Angel never had the 2 step in his car and from the looks of it he doesn't need it.

sid

Everything else u said sound right to me..

·
Registered
171 Posts
sidwin said:
Sorry but Angel doesn't have a two step. We were talking about it over sushi last night. He thinks it would probably work for most people but for him, it isn't his style. he leaves the line high and hard. 1.5X on MT streets. Angel never had the 2 step in his car and from the looks of it he doesn't need it.

sid

Everything else u said sound right to me..
Oops! I hate when that happens.

I would've sworn that he had a 2-step in his car because of the way it sounded when he was staging next to me, but I guess that I was mistaken. He sure can work the gas pedal fast! :D

I guess that this is what happens when one assumes... Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Hopefully the rest of what I said was fairly accurate and relevant.

·
UNLIMITED !
1,411 Posts
Try contacting Angel Robles (“angel” on surpaforums.com) from Florida… I know that he’s got a two-step in his T78 Supra and he seems to know quite a bit about drag racing! I’ll vouch for his skills too because I got lined up next to him for my very first run at Las Vegas 2001 (my first time ever at the track too). It was very ugly! :D I ran a 14.1 to his 10.x, but I attribute the 10 cars he had on me as I passed the 60’ marker to his two-step! :D

Good luck with that 10.99 ET! [/B][/QUOTE] Actually, Angel does not use a 2 step, we slip it nice and fast at about 6,500-7000rpms and it works pretty good !!!! ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I have no problems with traction because I am launching with NO BOOST. 5500 rpms and dump it on et streets and away i go. No spinning or bogging so i need more launch power. Right now I consistently run 1.7 60' times. I run with a cutout (open exhaust) at the track which kills off a little lower end torque and that is hurting me too. I would love to get to a 10.99 but I dont know if I can with just the 2 step. I think I can maybe 60' 1.6 and that will get me to say 11.09ish. If I get that, you know damn well i'll have to get an underdrive pulley or seomething to get that last .10 Thanks for the lack of hostility as well.....we are all here to share info and learn!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts