Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sounds crazy.. I know. But I was wondering if I was to chop the roof off of H/T here in Japan, would anyone ever swap it with their targa? How much work would be requied? For the drag race machine.. Just kicking around new ideas..

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
hehe.. good idea.. but it might be easier just to weld up a targa top. Arent there chassis differences in the HT's that really make the difference in performance?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MK3, shhh don't give them any ideas.. haha. It wouldn't be original.. :)

·
Useless Member
717 Posts
just sell your HT, and get a targa. your resale on the HT would be a little higher anyways. well, at least here in the US.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I didn't see this post this earlier, but I had a post a few weeks ago about something like this, but it was by someone doing it in the states. With two wrecked supras MKIV, and he was taking the hardtop roof off of a na automatic hardtop, and was putting it on a 6-speed targa... but I was trying to talk him out of it... but I didn't really get too many responses... so if you want to check out that thread here it is:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=154266

but if I were you I'd keep your car the way it is, JDMSUPRA. If you're unhappy with your hardtop, just sell it and buy one with a targa top. Or unless your car was completely totaled, and you could only salvage the hardtop of your supra ^__~

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts

·
2014 E63 S
2,517 Posts
lol I was waiting for the hardtop lovers to pop up. But you're absolutely right, this is a horrible idea. This can be considered a sin in the Supra world.

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
didn't see this post this earlier, but I had a post a few weeks ago about something like this, but it was by someone doing it in the states. With two wrecked supras MKIV, and he was taking the hardtop roof off of a na automatic hardtop, and was putting it on a 6-speed targa... but I was trying to talk him out of it... but I didn't really get too many responses... so if you want to check out that thread here it is:
why didn't he just spend the time to swap everything over instead of just the roof? that way you have a full hardtop chassis, without the extra reinforcement? the chassis are identical between the na and tt, though it would be a REAL BIG project, i would imagine it to have better results done correctly.

oh nevermind, i just noticed "wrecked" in that first sentence.

·
Old School
4,051 Posts
Hardtops are common as dirt in Japan (in so far as any Supra is common in Japan). It's the Targa that is hard to find outside of the USA.

It's a waste of time, but it's his time. :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually, I think you guys were assuming that I was going to chop the roof off of my car, hell no!! I'm keeping it! I beleive that Supra's can be found here kinda easy, but not the 6 speed ones. If that was the case, I wouldn't have swapped mine over!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts