Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally can't seem to figure out what's wrong with a Supra and it just happens to be my own.
The car starts, but runs like shit and throws the gool ol' code 14 (IGF)...
- all the harness clips to the coilpacks are brand new
- all spark plugs fire
- all grounds are proper
- cam and crank sensors check out fine all the way to ECU
- trigger wheel and airgaps all check out
- reading from ECU to igniter is correct
- I have a spare ECU & igniter that I've swapped all combos in w/ no change (all used worked previously)
- even swapped in a new igniter just to be sure

so my mind is quite boggled ATM, and I welcome anyone's ideas on possible solutions...
I know it's probably something stupid and simple. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
seems like your having problems with the flex capacitor

:dunno:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I think he meant Flux Capacitor... wish I had one right now to go back to the future where my Supra was running.

So anyone else have any better ideas than running diagnostics on my flux capacitor?

·
Registered
907 Posts
check everything else, maf sensor, intercooler pipeing off. loose vacume line somewhere.

also are you sure its 14 and not 41 (throttle possition). or 13 and you added the 1 to it. just go over the entire bay, and make sure everything is together. its almost always something stupid.

good luck with it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, it definitely reads out the 14 IGF code. And after it's cleared it returns only when you have it run long enough to get the required revs to make it return.

The car runs just like it should with the IGF code, really nasty, and you have to apply throttle to keep it running.

A lot has been changed since the last time it ran... since it had a rod knock I redid the whole thing:
- new shortblock
- head totally redone, hks 264s, ferrea valvetrain, bowl and chamber work
- single turbo
- TRD twin disk, engine/tranny mounts

I wanted to get it running and break it in on stock ecu, maf, stock boost. Then put in the AEM, CDI, and fuel.

Everything like Harness, sensors, ECU, acc., etc. was from when it ran before... it needed new clips for coilpacks as expected and other various new pieces. Plus I have spare ecu, harness, coilpacks, igniter, etc. from a wrecked supra that ran fine for these troubleshooting purposes...

·
Sooooooo JDM
1,221 Posts
theman said:
Yep, it definitely reads out the 14 IGF code. And after it's cleared it returns only when you have it run long enough to get the required revs to make it return.

The car runs just like it should with the IGF code, really nasty, and you have to apply throttle to keep it running.

A lot has been changed since the last time it ran... since it had a rod knock I redid the whole thing:
- new shortblock
- head totally redone, hks 264s, ferrea valvetrain, bowl and chamber work
- single turbo
- TRD twin disk, engine/tranny mounts

I wanted to get it running and break it in on stock ecu, maf, stock boost. Then put in the AEM, CDI, and fuel.

Everything like Harness, sensors, ECU, acc., etc. was from when it ran before... it needed new clips for coilpacks as expected and other various new pieces. Plus I have spare ecu, harness, coilpacks, igniter, etc. from a wrecked supra that ran fine for these troubleshooting purposes...
You said you checked all grounds, was that both of the ECM grounds, one at the rear (lower) of the intake and one towards the front as well? Not sure where in MD you are, but if you need another set of eyes, let me know.

Ryan

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you said it needed new clips for the coilpack and you changed them.... check and make sure each one of the clip has the pins on the correct side of the clip... as if you were to flip them while changing them over it would cause a code 14... few of mine is gone completely so I have to make sure what side they go on otherwise it sets off that code everytime...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I do think I have the pins right, was very aware of that possibility since it's a common mishap, will check it again probably with looking at everything over though...

Ryan, thanks, I appreciate the offer.
I believe both are grounded correctly, but will check that again as well...
If you'd like to PM me your # I'll give you a call this evening, I'm just out in millersville so you're not far at all. I'm always glad to have someone else's view, it always helps.
BTW I believe you're the same Ryan that knows Joe doing the LS1FD3 correct?
Just a guess... I play with FD's too. :bigthumb:

BTW Blitz - you'll notice the darker larger wire goes one the same side of each clip, and the clips alternate facing front and back... just some hints in keeping them correct.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I checked the wires to the coil pack clips, they're correct.
Also rechecked the grounds that attach to the lower intake manifold. One I had towards the front, the other towards the rear I had actually put on the manifold stay since it fit nicely there and seemed to be as good or better for ground since the metal stay connects from lower IM to block. Anyway moved it to lower IM and no change there...

·
Registered
240 Posts
theman said:
BTW Blitz - you'll notice the darker larger wire goes one the same side of each clip, and the clips alternate facing front and back... just some hints in keeping them correct.

yes you are correct.... just like the white and blue tabs where they insert into the clip alternate too thats how I keep them in order...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts