Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tested a supra turbo this weekend. It was pretty nice, only 1800 dollars. Ran perfect, but It had 187 thousand miles. No sign of a bhg though. I drove it kinda hard trying to get the temp to rise and it did not. When I shifted into second, it did not chirp though, and that was around 6 grand, I am wondering if this is normal. Thanx

·
wha huh?
952 Posts
I don't think a stock turbo will chirp second, cause I running about 14 psi and i just get a little squeak outta second (unless its raining, then the whole ass comes out ), is it building boost at all? does it start easy? does the turbo spool decently quick? how about compressoin...does it have some off boost power?

·
MUDKIP FARMER
2,709 Posts
Your running 14psi and you only get a chirp outta second?

On 9psi with intake, dp, and exhaust I totally slide out if I redline in 1st and punch into second...and I have Goodyear GT4's on...

Must be the dense Minnesota air for ya.

·
wha huh?
952 Posts
well, my turbo was alittle defunct...265 width yoko es100's

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
My car cherped going into 2nd on the saw blades stock.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Yea, mine will chirp into second, maybe a slipping clutch? is this a turbo or not?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
Yeah, my clutch was slipping pretty bad at around 120k kms, though only under a lot of accel.

After doing all the upgrades last winter (intake/downpipe/afm/injectors/mhg/clutch) chirping in second was extremely easy, after changing to some new Bridgestone S-03's it's a lot harder to do (which is good IMO), but it's still possible.

I'm guessing it's either the clutch, a clogged cat or something, or maybe he's got some real grippy tires on there combined with something else maybe... dunno

·
Registered
590 Posts
drjonez said:
stock MKIIIs are slow, deal w/it.
He's right.
I can chirp second in my N/A, easily. I can get more than a chirp as a matter of fact. Now a turbo should be able to spin them on the shift for sure. Only thing preventing it would be worn clutch or bad driving.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Not nessisarily! Turbos have to spool to make power, so, right after a shift, thier isnt a lot of power...

·
Registered
590 Posts
True, but id say when it drops back to 4000 RPM( rough estimate) in second its still pretty well spooled. Idk, my turbo is automatic;)

·
Registered
523 Posts
C'mon fellas, I can't beleive someone hasn't said....

"It's because you were granny shifting and not double-clutchin' like you are supposed to!!"

·
Registered
961 Posts
Hmm i could put my 86.5 NA sidways on the 1 --> 2 shift:D

I can easily chirp into 2nd and 3rd on my stock 91 T.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
ma71supraturbo said:
You don't need power to chirp the tires shifting gears, just a heavy stock flywheel, a quick shift, and a strong clutch
thats it right there...strong clutch is definately needed. when me and brysta89 were at about the same power level(~280 whp) him with a spec stage 3 and me with the stock turbo, he could chirp through 4th and i could only manage 2nd...after that you could feel the clutch slip. so yeah i would say clutch, and it probably has good tires too...with worn out tires my first supra could spin in second....at 4psi and chipped turbo fins...

adam

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
i could chirp 2nd in my old NA...id say check the cat...had a similiar praw and after the cat was replaced was a whole new ball game...as for it being slow...{shrug} decently quick to beat out alotta cars round here in hicktown usa....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts