Supra Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It's easy not to go fast. It's not so easy to avoid spinning and sliding, however. At 35mph up a lengthy hill, my A4 V6 Mustang began spinning the rear tires like I've never seen before. My actual speed dropped to probably about 20mph before I finally got past the ice patch. No car is safe in the winter, but some are less dangerous than others. Don't drive a RWD car that has more than 250hp in the winter, because you're just asking for trouble. Besides, Supra's are very hard to replace, and you'd hate yourself incredibly if you wrecked it driving in bad weather.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Rain

I live in rainy old WA, and I took a ride in a 500 HP stick supra with a friend and it handled fine? Maybe it was his driving exp. (we live in WA, the rain doesnt bother us, its when its sunny when we think somethins wrong :) ) Maybe special tires would help?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
A lot of it does come down to experience. Last year I was driving home in 2" of snow (the school superintendent refused to let us out early) in my tiny FWD Capri. Going through an s-turn, a Chevy truck w/ 4WD went sliding right off the road in front of me. I started sliding as well, but I recovered and kept going. This comes partly from my practice doing stupid things like that in a controlled setting. Find a big empty parking lot some time and throw your car into a spin or a nasty slide and learn how it handles. It's better to find out what to do (theory means nothing until you DO it) on dry pavement than when you're heading towards the side of a bridge or into oncoming traffic. I have had a few near misses that I can credit my coming out unharmed to practicing things like that. But all the experience in the world can't always save you. Nor can having a car like the WRX save you all the time. AWD coupled with experience will keep you safe most of the time, but other drivers might not be so helpful. Either way, I wouldn't drive a Supra in the winter.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
heck, last week it snowed and i was going to school in the morning, went arond a bend. . .not on the gas, and my back end starts bust'n loose, put the clutch in, no breaks, countersteared. . .over corrected. . .countersteared again. . .and again and again. . .finall came out of it-cars fine-didn't hit anything. . .but man it's wicked

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Rain is OK with the right tires, but don't use it in ice and snow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There's really no reason not to have a beater winter car if you can afford a TT Supra. Without even really trying, I found about a half dozen AWD cars for sale in the Chicago area (used 60452 for the zip to search). Couple of AWD turbo DSMs, few Subarus and a couple Audi AWD's. All for under $3k.

I agree with the general consensus - high hp + RWD (or FWD for that matter) don't mix.

Safe driving.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts