Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my Supra last week, I just never ever drove the thing. I've got two small kids, one of which is still in a rear facing car seat and even if the car seats could fit, I'd have been scared they would damage the seats. I removed the AC because racecar, I was scared to bring it to work and it was just too valuable to sit in the garage and rot. I'll probably regret it later but what's done is done.

I know i'll never get Supra level performance in my budget but I'd like to get something somewhat fun that I can DD. I have an X5 but I let my wife drive that and right now I'm DDing a Sienna which is consuming my soul. I'm old and lame now, thinking about house stuff and investments and I don't think I want to blow the entire Supra nest egg on another car this time. Ideally I'd like to keep the price of this acquisition under 40k Canadian (30k usd). I'm struggling with replacement options, it seems like there is a lot of them but I'm not really getting that excited about any of them. Leaning more luxury/cruiser but with a bit of sport appeal, my hope is that once I drive the right car I'll be excited again.

I'd like something-
Reasonably comfortable for trips or DD duties.
Must be 4 doors with room for car seats.
Decent amount of cargo space (wagon's get bonus points).
AWD is ideally but will consider RWD, NO FWD.
Reliablity is a factor
Fun to drive.
Retains Value.

In no particular order, cars I have sort of considered-

Focus RS
W12 E63 AMG
ISF
F10 M5
Cayenne
Panamera
X5M
S7

Thoughts on any of the cars on this list? other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I also vote IS-F. I'm not sure what pricing is like in Canada, but I have seen used GS-F with around 20-30k on them being listed in the low $40k range.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lexus ISF
This guy I know just got one though, Kind of ruined it for me.

I also vote IS-F. I'm not sure what pricing is like in Canada, but I have seen used GS-F with around 20-30k on them being listed in the low $40k range.
I had a feeling that ISF would be popular here. I love the GSF but the cheapest I see right now is 54k.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
If reliability is a factor, there's only one real option in your list - the ISF.

If the qualifications are broadened to include "semi-reliable", you can consider the Cayenne, but good luck finding a desirable example within your budget.

Depending on the relative importance of reliability, you're really limited to Japanese cars. Maybe an RCF? But there again, budget is an issue.

Maybe a Chevy SS? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If reliability is a factor, there's only one real option in your list - the ISF.

If the qualifications are broadened to include "semi-reliable", you can consider the Cayenne, but good luck finding a desirable example within your budget.

Depending on the relative importance of reliability, you're really limited to Japanese cars. Maybe an RCF? But there again, budget is an issue.

Maybe a Chevy SS? :dunno:
In this range it would be a 2011-2012ish cayenne turbo or slightly newer cayenne s.

The ISF is likely the smart option, I'm just not sure my heart is in it. I wont argue for a minute that Japanese reliability is superior to German but the Germans just do the small details so well, I never really got it till I got my x5. It really makes me intrigued what other German vehicles offer.

I'll check out the SS but I've never really been a big American car guy.

·
Hardtopper
2,471 Posts
The allure of the IS-F is totally lost on me, especially now that they've aged.. :dunno: I was really interested in one a few years ago, and eventually checked a few out. Slim pickings and none of them were "it", so kept searching. In the interim I drove a CTS-V2 and instantly forgot all about the F. Picked up the V and enjoyed the hell out of it. The wagons still go for stupid money, but the coupes and sedans are very reasonably priced now --- awesome bang for the buck if you're interested in the performance/fun factor with practicality.

·
Boost Junkie
12,363 Posts
Reliability is # for the ISF. It also get's great gas mileage. The CTSV is also a great car, but they don't age well and get really bad gas mileage as well, if you care about that sort of thing. They can make a lot of power though.

Steve K.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I’ve owned many of the car in your original consideration list...

Cayenne - pretty fun SUV, handles great for its size and you almost forget you’re in an SUV. Was very reliable until we sold it at 100k miles. It was my wife’s daily and while I enjoyed it on weekend drives, would not be my first choice for daily for me.

Panamera - we had the GTS version. Probably the best overall sedan I’ve ever owned. It was my wife’s daily replacing the SUV and was always the keys I reached for at any opportunity. Fast, amazing sound, great interior, just an all around fun car.

M5 - loved the power and tech but was always scared of the next thing breaking on it. Never really connected with the car, probably because I lost trust in its reliability quickly. And this is coming from a hardcore BMW guy. (Mine was the v10 e60 so I realize not apples to apples, but I can only imagine the increased level of complexity in the newer model)

ISF - my daily for 6 years. I drove it HARD every single day and mile, and it just took it day after day. Incredible response to bolt-ons for NA (400+whp), solid fun car. Tech sucked, interior was small, but I still easily had 2 small kids in the back (took the front seat all the way up for a rear facing seat behind it). Highly recommended for being able to own the car and worry about nothing except tires and oil.

GSF - replaced the ISF and have had it for a year now. Feels much bigger when you drive it, more mature and refined. Tech is night and day compared to ISF and those are some of the best seats ever in it. Same response to mods as ISF.

If I had to pick one all over again, it would be Panamera as long as it was under warranty. Not that it was unreliable, but you do not want to have to pay for any of the parts out of pocket. Front air suspension failure would have cost us thousands and it’s pretty common after a few years.

Out of warranty...ISF all day long for it’s value these days. Toyota quality, some basic mods and it’s a fun daily.

Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
283 Posts
ISF is going to be a popular recommendation on this forum for obvious reasons. However, based on some of the other options you've listed it looks like you are really looking for something that will comfortably accommodate extra passengers.
Interior room is not really the ISF's strong suit and as some have mentioned, they are starting to age a bit.

We all know that reliability is going to be a question with most of the german marques. That being said, of the options you have listed I would have to look REALLY, REALLY hard at the S7.
Overall, the car pretty much has it all.....great looks (subjective, obviously), great interior styling, AWD, and V8TT.
Pretty damn impressive.

On the CTS-V.....personally I am a fan of the performance but can't get past the styling (interior and exterior) of the Gen-2 models.
That and the cheapness of the interior materials basically kill any interest I would have in the car.
The wagons are badass, though. LOL

Haven't checked the pricing on the current C63 AMG sedans, but pretty sure they are a bit beyond the price point you are looking at.

While we are discussing german options.....E92/93 M3, maybe?
Pretty much all of the same criticisms that were leveled against the ISF would apply here, though.
But hey...manual is on the table. :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'll throw a curve ball to this. How about a Chevy SS sedan with the 6 speed manual. I have one and absolutely love this thing. Stock they do look a bit mild but it is probably the best car you never heard of. Only negative I can think of is gas mileage is only about 16 combined and always having to explain what kind of car it is and who made it. Just YouTube SS sedan 6speed and hear what all the reviewers have to say.

All I did was lower, tint, black the trim out and put rims on her and this is what you get.

2016 Chevy SS (2).JPG

1 - 20 of 57 Posts