Supra Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Unless 2 door cars are completely out, 997TT.

If you must have a 'larger' car, consider a Porsche Macan GTS or Turbo (used). They are absolutely sensational to drive. I drove a late model Cayenne GTS earlier this year and it was a game changer in what SUVs are capable of.

You'll notice a theme in my recommendations...you need a Porsche now. :bigthumb:
A 997TT would be out of my budget but if I do end up getting another toy car, I have been considering the 997 Carerra. I like the concept of the Cayenne and mid to high 30s Cad will get you into a 2012ish Turbo, which is a lot of car for the money, but I'm a bit skeptical of these without an extended warranty. Being the residence Porsche expert, any idea on reliability?

Consider a used S3.

4 doors, fast, fun, 4wd. A tune (from what I understand) changes the drivability/throttle response from "great" to "shockingly good"
I think an S3 is a bit too on the small side, if I got something that small, I think I'd go all out and get a proper 2 door sports car.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Or you know..buy another supra that's stockish with working air conditioning.
Lol, you drive a hard bargain and I wouldn't mind getting another BUT I can't really go backwards and my car had 34k miles on it and was super clean and stuff. It was an NA but basically in my head, I'd need a lower mileage, oem tt 6 speed car and I simply don't have 100,000 to spend this time around.

I go back and fourth, but the last few days I seem to be settling on a GTR, F80 M3 or M4. Yeah none of these are great family cars to be my only car, I'd still have to keep my DD but I'd at least be able to put car seats in the back which is critical. Even if I did cram car seats in the back of a Supra, my driver's seat is so far back that I'm not sure my kids would be able to extend there legs. Modern coupes seem to be a bit larger. I think i'd jump on an F80 M3 if I could find one in my budget that was a 6 speed car but at the moment all of them are DCT.

·
Champagne Papi
5,678 Posts
I guess I'm more of a sedan guy personally. Cayenne is as close to a sports car as an SUV could be, but from the drivers seats, the Panamera felt much better. You forget about rear 3/4 view quickly...you actually forget there is even a back seat.

Keep a look out for the GSF and see if you find a deal. Its the ideal cross between the reliability of the ISF and the larger luxury of the Panamera. Springs, wheels, exhaust/headers and its a fun daily you can enjoy for years. Won't be as fast as M5 or CTSV obviously, but a good all around car. A couple pics of mine to help sway you.

View attachment 237013
View attachment 237015

Good luck.
God damnit. Your taste is up there with SW for me. To this day, your supra is the nicest ive ever seen.

OP, sorry I don't have much to add. I'm not a fan of german cars, have owned a Panamera (last gen) not a fan.

·
500hp+
475 Posts
Or you know..buy another supra that's stockish with working air conditioning.
Yep time to start searching for another Supra in stock form, you won’t regret it over buying another car.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Regarding the S3 being too small....

Go to 17:30 and Doug goes into the backseats. Remember he is almost 6 foot 5. It is a usable backseat, especially if it's women/children.

Worth watching the whole video if you haven't seen it yet, really impressive car.

·
Z06 convert
1,378 Posts
Had a Cayenne. Fun for a big SUV. Have a Macan now. Blows it away for fun factor. It’s incredible how well it handles and the PDK is a blast. Might be above your budget, though.

If you go Cayenne, just don’t get a 2011. They had some bugs to work out. They are pretty reliable, but because repairs are so expensive when they do happen, I got a CPO Macan.

Focus RS or Audi S4 would be high on my list.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I have a Focus ST3 as a daily, bought it before the RS was announced and I just cant seem to want to get rid of it (ive modded mine a little to my style) and Its been a fantastic car despite its FWD and smaller engine than the RS. I always joke if someone hits it ill upgrade to the RS.

The cons though - The interiors are identical in my ST3 (besides the logos on stuff and color). The RS interior should and could of been better. Lots of rattles now since its a ford and based off an economy car, but the recaros and trim have held up visually nicely over 60k miles and 5 years. Its really the rattles that are the worst part of the interior, and of course a little dated now because that interior design was out in the ST before the RS existed. A lot of new cars have much nicer interiors IN my opinion.

However, if you want AWD Turbo performance at 350/350, thats track ready, its a fucking badass car (the 2018 year got a real front LSD too). If you can deal with a lower budget interior, you get a really good drivetrain and driving experience.The aftermarket world is very abundant as well for this car and has produced some amazing results.

Im also on the fence myself because I want a new car to daily a bit (working from home mostly and budget is up to $90k if I want, could save money by going less), dont need one but my list is

- Focus RS (if America got the orange final edition like Europe I would of already bought this)
- Stinger GT2
- MKV Supra
- 19' Raptor
- Trackhawk

None of them really compete with each other, and Im just looking for a fun car which could be any above, each car is unique in its own and each one was amazing to test drive providing their own experience. Its a hard choice

·
Registered
711 Posts
S3! S3! Go drive one at least....what do you have to lose besides an hour ? I know your time is valuable....but c'mon

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I'll also vote V2 CTS-V, but say go sedan since they can be had at a huge discount to the wagons. I never even modified the one I owned and had a blast in it. The torque was addicting, I'm contrarian and loved the looks, and it never even gave me a hiccup. Throw $5,000 at the car and it will be running low 10's. I'd probably buy another if I weren't dealing with dusty roads and winter weather now.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Has the OP made any progress on a decision? :)
Sorry! I don't check this site as much now that I'm Supra-less. Even though it was originally pretty much off the table, I'm starting to lean towards the ISF. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with my X5 which is currently hate and making me double think owning another German car, especially one that I'll likely drive a bit harder than one tends to drive an X5. Not having AWD was originally a bit of a deal breaker for me, but I'm starting to double think it. I've read about ISFs in snow and they seem to be pretty good with decent tires. I think I'd really prefer not to have an SUV and I've now pretty much settled on having one decent all year car instead of one toy and one sports car. So I need a Sedan and Japanese cars are definitely my comfort zone. I had an STI before and I'm just not really interested in them, this leaves pretty much one option which is the ISF. The more I look into them the more excited I am, I find they are starting to look a bit dated but there is some updated headlights and taillights you can get that help a lot. I'll likely hold off till Spring so I don't have to buy winter tires this year but I've started the hunt. I'd really like to find at least a 2009+ but 2011+ would be ideal, the newer years get a lot rarer in Canada though. I think there is 7 ISFs for sale Nationwide right now and all of them are 2008s.

S3! S3! Go drive one at least....what do you have to lose besides an hour ? I know your time is valuable....but c'mon
Closest Audi dealer is about 1.5 hours away and I'd be surprised if they have any S3s in stock, probably all A3s.

I'll also vote V2 CTS-V, but say go sedan since they can be had at a huge discount to the wagons. I never even modified the one I owned and had a blast in it. The torque was addicting, I'm contrarian and loved the looks, and it never even gave me a hiccup. Throw $5,000 at the car and it will be running low 10's. I'd probably buy another if I weren't dealing with dusty roads and winter weather now.
I keep looking at them but I just find the first gen is too dated and I'd struggle to spend enough to buy a 2015+ as they just loose value too fast.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
Here's a car no one really is thinks about:

The 2016+ Q50 Twin Turbo. Tune and downpipe only they're making 450+whp/500+tq. It uses the a 3.0 variant of the GTR engine, is available in AWD, almost all still under warranty and you can get them for 20k ish or so. Rather unassuming but very efficient.

I picked up a Q60 to replace my C6 Corvette which replaced my IS-F. So far I've added intakes and a tune. It would walk all over my previous two cars, AWD burnouts to 40 or so from a dig and I beat a F80 M3 yesterday from a dig and a roll. Poor guy. They run 13's stock 11's with just a tune.

Oh and you can fit in the back seat.

DVdXacwVQAATr7B.jpg

93 Octane tune
57303394_2337454869645784_6802381860673421312_o.jpg

·
JetFire
5,276 Posts
^^^^Yup they are sleepers IMO that no one pays attention to. I've seen nice numbers like you posted with tunes.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Finally time to update the thread with a decision. I was super close to pulling the Trigger on an ISF and likely would have but the after finally finding one Spec'd like I wanted, the mileage was just a little too high. I was also quite close on a couple of M5's BUT after more research, I decided that I didn't want to deal with BMW reliability and expense.

Somewhere out of left field, a few months back I started researching something entirely different and I'm excited to say that I have placed an order for...........

Drum roll..................................

A 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance.

The more I read about them, the more excited I got. It literally checks every box on my wish list (except maybe a manual would have been nice). After getting to experience what I feel is the ultimate internal combustion engine (the 2j), it was a bit hard to get excited about literally any other car but these are so different that's really not a concern. They're making just under 500 hp and tq to the tires, mid 11 second 1/4s, 0-60 in 3.1 seconds, 500kms of range, have next to zero maintenance costs, are loaded with tech and are beasts in the snow. On top of all of that, more than anything; I love the idea of packing up the kids and going on a road trip a few hours away for something to do and not feeling bad about burning through a tank of gas at $80 or $90 bucks and bringing myself that much closer to needing an oil change. You literally wear out the tires, with the regenerative breaking you don't even wear down the brake pads. It should be here sometime in the next week or so. Will try to remember to update this in the coming weeks and months with some ownership reviews.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts