Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right spot to post this but... i have been looking to purchase a 93 supra, but i have a great opportunity to go check out some imported from japan. I have found these are alot cheaper because of the RHD. But i have been reading about the difference, and i guess the japan and US supras have diff specs. Us rated the twin turbo at 320hp 315ft/lb tq, and jap rated it at 280hp 323ft/lb tq. US 540cc injectors, Jap 430cc. And i was wondering if these specs are true and what the adv. and dis adv. of each are, anyone know? Or advice on which to purchase?

Thanks Josh

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,349 Posts
Not a huge difference, and once you start modifying the cars, there's basically none. Once you upgrade fuel, cams, and brakes, the cars are basically identical performance wise.

Jeff

·
Registered
861 Posts
Yup, what Jeff said. JDM cars dont have EGR either. There are no real advantages/disadvantages between one another apart from LHD/RHD preference. If you're planning on building the car anyways the only extra thing you would want to do on a JDM is upgrade to at least TT brakes. LHDs have come way down in price now so if you can get a nice LHD for a good price go for it.

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
The JDM turbos are different than the USDM twins....US has steel wheels while JDM has ceramic...steel seem to be more durable but if you'll eventually build up with a turbo upgrade it doesn't matter; JDM uses a MAP system for a/f control while USDM uses MAF; fuel system is somewhat different as mentioned.

The magic 280 hp figure for the JDM Supras is a fantasy number. If you look at Skylines and Supras, etc. you'll notice the JDM ratings were all 280hp since the Japanese government pressured the manufacturers to limit power to 280 or less, so they rated these cars at 280 no matter what they really did.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I've got a J-spec and have answered a lot of posts here on them. PM me if you have specific questions, and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well for upgrading performance wise if i was to buy a JDM, would it be better to buy a N/a supra and then drop in a single turbo with the rest of the upgrades, or buy a twin turbo and upgrade that. Im just wondering because i have a pair of brand new borgwarner t04b turbos lying around, and was wondering if these would work for it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
A couple of days ago, I read that the differential was oilcooled in the US- and EU-version, but not one the jap-spec one - Is this true?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as i know they are oil cooled.... maybe a later model? not sure i couldn't find anything on what you asked.
But can anyone answer my question above?

·
Registered
773 Posts
A couple of days ago, I read that the differential was oilcooled in the US- and EU-version, but not one the jap-spec one - Is this true?
Heard that too, so there is something about it. Don't know if you got the LSD back end though...

·
Registered
232 Posts
When it's all said and done it's still a Supra. And if you look at mark88's posts you will see all the parts he has ordered, and he is still in the same ballpark of a stock usdm/cdn supra. nd IF you decide to do serious mods ( single with supporting mods ) USDM/CDN and JDM are the same car.

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well for upgrading performance wise if i was to buy a JDM, would it be better to buy a N/a supra and then drop in a single turbo with the rest of the upgrades, or buy a twin turbo and upgrade that. Im just wondering because i have a pair of brand new borgwarner t04b turbos lying around, and was wondering if these would work for it?

Can anyone answer this please?

·
Registered
199 Posts
n/a thats to much work. ppl did na-t and satisfied and some want more power so really your power goals has alot to do with it. i were you i just get a supra twinturbo version and drop it in. like stated above jap has low injecters, smaller turbos (what i heard) and made out of ceramic, cams also smaller, they use map instead of maf.

i just recently finish my swap i bought a jdm motor and convert it to usdm since my last motor blew. i swap sumps turbos injectors and left cams alone since i search and they say it wouldnt be a different in power. sorry for the novel bro but just get a twinturbo version.

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Everyone's captured most everything.

There's another feature that you might be interested though... JDM supras went on to gain an updated version of the GTE motor - 2JZ-GTE vvti. The vvti can be hugely advantageous for spool if u can get past the complexity of working with the updated engine management/sensor configuration.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I'm pretty damn happy with my set up: JDM motor swap to my NA, 550cc injectors, hydraulic fan set up (better then clutch according to the MKIII guys), USDM TT fuel pump with 12v mod, JDM turbos, JDM cams, BPU++, TTC mode. I heard ppl say TTC mode sucks, maybe because USDM turbos are laggier because with my car it's instant boost. Spiking 19lbs and running good so far... :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i have a pair of brand new borgwarner t04b turbos lying around, and was wondering if these would work for upgrading the twin turbo? Anyone ever heard of anyone using t04b, and well they worked

If you want more info on the turbos just let me know

1 - 20 of 23 Posts