Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there..

Looking to buy this car.. it´s been in the "woods" for the past 3 years. Oil inside the engine, a lot of ants, very bad shape.

Just looking, how much do you guys think this is worth it and how much to fix everything?

Would you fully rebuilt the engine?

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
40K you think its cheap?
That person is smoking some shit. It is not worth anywhere near that. Don’t get me wrong, guys pay $10k for a 69 Camaro bare shell with rust.

This is not worth $40k but it is more than $10k.

Ask them what their number is, 20-30 would be a fair price range if the chassis has no rust. That interior can clean up but you will have a six speed car for cheap with some work.

I say take a buddy with you, bring 20k cash and see what happens. Current economic conditions, seeing 20k cash is hard to turn away plus the state of the car, that person is most likely never going to try to fix it up.

·
Kappa Check 1 2
726 Posts
^agreed with guy above.

That car won't be fetching any premium, and if the owner thinks so he/she is smoking some good stuff. It needs work, and not just a wash and detail. If those vac lines have rust, most likely the chassis does in spots as well. It would definitely be fun to save, but not for $40k that's for damn sure.

I'd feel crazy paying anything north of $20k for that car, maybe $25k tops but I actually feel crazy saying that, I just know how the market is these days.

-Rich

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you could settle on a good price, as the replies above suggest that would be a nice car to spend a bit on to get fixed up. You could get it to a mechanic for a service of all things before actually starting it, but turn it over on a battery just to make sure it's not seized... don't actually start without brand new oil, etc. If it turns over chances are it will be ok once serviced with all new fluids. Look over the wiring and check for obvious damage visually.

Most parts interior wise I see damage on can be replaced with used items. Where are you shipping to? If you get a nice local source of used parts that would be ideal. Shipping large items like a roof liner for example would cost a lot internationally posted.

Good luck! (y)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The guy do not want to negotiate, this is it if I want the car. That’s the problem in Brazil, we might have 7 or 8 Supra’s and there’s no option to buy another one. I’ve been looking on the market for over 3 years, nothing comes up.

I’m thinking 10k in parts +10kin labor (painting, rebuilding the engine, etc).

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Even at 10k IMO that’s a stretch. There looks to be a lot of rust everywhere. What does the exterior look like? I’m in agreement with the others that have responded that you should take a battery with you to make sure that the motor will crank over. It would be a great long project car to restore but hell no to 40k. It’ll be sitting in the forest until the end of time if the seller is firm on that.

·
Registered
839 Posts
no negotiable is bs. get in front of them with cash, attitudes change sometimes.

that car still worth 40k to you when you fire it up and it has rod knock and the super expensive and rare 6 speed is howling / making noises ?

you mention these are rare. I doubt 10k could even get a replacement trans shipped to you (thats not knowing currency exchange rate)

how did these cars get into your market---can you import one from somewhere and possibly leverage currency exchange rate / other market value.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I guess my follow up would be do you already own the car lol, I see your selling an ecu for the 2jzgtte

me thinks there is way more rust to be found. I don't know your climate but I assume woods car in SA = very high humidity ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The cars where imported new, we cannot ship used cars to Brazil.

I believe the trans is ok, I’m most worried about the engine. To fix all rust and a quality paint job would be around 10k plus all inside parts, engine bay, trunk, etc etc. I guess 20-25k.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I guess my follow up would be do you already own the car lol, I see your selling an ecu for the 2jzgtte

me thinks there is way more rust to be found. I don't know your climate but I assume woods car in SA = very high humidity ?
I already bought a lot of itens from a friend that lost his car here to fix it, the ECU will not work on this once it’s a manual. Otherwise I would keep it.

I stil didn’t buy it but this is a car I’ve been looking for a long time... I cannot find another one..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Yes, Rio is very humid, you must keep everything inside all the time. I believe I’ll find more rust for sure.

·
Administrator
8,647 Posts
where can you find a targa biturbo and manual for 40k running?
The USA. If you think a neglected rusted out likely moldy and animal infested car is worth more then that then I cannot help you. These cars dont sell for what they are advertised for, if you think asking price is sell price then godspeed.

40k will buy you a high mileage average condition car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awesome I dis
The USA. If you think a neglected rusted out likely moldy and animal infested car is worth more then that then I cannot help you. These cars dont sell for what they are advertised for, if you think asking price is sell price then godspeed.

40k will buy you a high mileage average condition car.
Awesome I’ll take that in mind, will try to negotiate harder with the guy.

thanks everyone for the help!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts