Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
A lot of recommendations, but a lot depends on the availability in the local market and comparison to other vehicles in said market. Especially with very limited supply and not being able to ship used cars to Brazil. USA prices are not Brazil, UK, Australia, Japan, etc. I would see what other examples in your regions sold for then deduct based on condition, mileage, features, etc.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Unfortunately, if used cars can't be brought in to the country and you have only 8 of them in the whole country then he can pretty much call his own price. The visible rust is in some bad spots. Bodywork will be expensive. I would avoid it myself but if your hearts set on one sounds like you may have no choice.

·
Registered
832 Posts
what would it cost to import a new mk5 supra. I can't believe what Im about to type next, but in your situation....maybe that is a better solution? I mean if its the only mk5 bmw supra in the country it may always be worth what you paid and 40k is not to far off msrp 60k of the new, non-rodent infested car ;) but yeah its not a mk4 for sure

·
Old School
4,022 Posts
If that's all I had to work with I think I'd fall in love with something else.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If the seller gave you a great deal then everyone would encourage you to buy it but the seller is at 40k. It’s clearly got a ton of rust and it’s going to cost you between 10-20k just to revive the body. And we’re not even factoring in the motor, transmission and diff. MKIV parts are no longer as easily accessible as they once were and they’re just going up in price. Save yourself the headache and move on if you and the seller are so far apart on what you think is fair vs. what the seller wants for it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Did they even say why it's been sitting for 3 years? I would imagine because it wasn't running right.
He said there was a misfire in 2 cilinders because of the coils.. And by the time he didn´t have the money to fix and just stopped driving. The engine for sure must be rebuilt, removing the oil cap, the head interior is all full of sticky oil on the walls, imagine the rest of it.

I will need to buy everything new, from engine to interior to outside of the car. It has now 60k miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
what would it cost to import a new mk5 supra. I can't believe what Im about to type next, but in your situation....maybe that is a better solution? I mean if its the only mk5 bmw supra in the country it may always be worth what you paid and 40k is not to far off msrp 60k of the new, non-rodent infested car ;) but yeah its not a mk4 for sure
To import a US$60k car, in taxes here i would have to pay another US$70K to get legally the car, too much money.

To fix the outside here with the best team would cost me US$12-15K, labor for engine US$2,5, parts around US$10-12K

Total US$40K + 13K+ 2,5K + 12K = USD 67,5K

·
Registered
832 Posts
man thats a bummer --cost to import

do toyota sell the gr trim in Brazil (yaris/corolla)--again its not a supra but they have some impressive hp / specs and its half that budget for a new car

but I can see the flip side (specific to your market)....if all the "ifs" / unknowns work out ok. super rare running 6 speed in brazil would prob bring some $$ some day

in the USA a paint job, like a re-coat with no body work / color change is easily 10k if you want oem quality or better end result. your not disassembling the car, media blasting it, running it through metal replacement and prep, painting and reassembling it for anywhere near that (here)

cost of unavailable trim / interior parts--stuff that has to be found used -- will nickle and dime you to death as well

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
360 Posts
Was it even covered up or protected from the elements at all? I get that it may be the only car around, but I'm a bit miffed someone would think they could charge that if they didn't even take steps to protect it. That looks like more than 3 years in the woods. More like 5-6.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
242 Posts
I'd stay away from it.
If it's really worth that much $ down there it would have been kept or at least stored somewhere.

There is either a history behind it they are not telling you or something else is up.
Or just plain old price gouging after seeing the recent sale price history in the states.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The owner has it rotting away for 3 years, treating it like a beater with high mileage? But then trys to price gouge at 40k?

Perhaps its the limited market as you say, but if the guy knows what he has its odd he didnt take more measures to at the least preserve it.

Personally like everyone else 40k for this is steep. Though from your responses seems you're dead set on justifying the price.Given how much you want it, go to him with a cash offer and point out the flaws and the costs of what it'll take you on top of it to restore.The longer he has that rotting away he's essentially losing money, until its worth close to nothing. And if he doesnt agree, drop your number with him and have him give you a call if he changes his mind.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I’m thinking 10k in parts +10kin labor (painting, rebuilding the engine, etc).
More like 10k in parts, 15k for painting, 10k for engine, 2k for miscellaneous.

I would steer clear of it. Too many issues (rust), and too many parts not available any more.

Al

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,479 Posts

Salve. Was the door like this (not fully closed) when you got there? Rain may have gotten inside in this area for the past three years. Did you check for wet carpets on this side or check under the carpet for rust, or check underneath the car? I was hoping you meant 40k Rs, but looks like 40k USD, as I read some more and figured it was USD. I don't really believe the coils went bad and they couldn't afford to fix two coils if they could've afforded to buy the car initially. Did you operate the clutch and transmission, it engaged all the gears? I have a slight beliefel the problem is worse than two bad coils. Not trying to scare you, just trying to get you some leverage to negotiate. Bring cash and show it, people's minds change when they see money.
Boa sorte.

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,292 Posts
Wow, I guess prices are even more ridiculous there. The car looks to me to be a way too much headache. The car has been exposed to the elements. In addition to all this rust, I would not be surprised if entity electrical harness is shot to shit. I would imagine in years its been outside, bunch of critters made it their home. Some like to chew on wiring, and interior parts. You are looking at full ground up restoration, with bunch of parts that have been discontinued.

Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Salve. Was the door like this (not fully closed) when you got there? Rain may have gotten inside in this area for the past three years. Did you check for wet carpets on this side or check under the carpet for rust, or check underneath the car? I was hoping you meant 40k Rs, but looks like 40k USD, as I read some more and figured it was USD. I don't really believe the coils went bad and they couldn't afford to fix two coils if they could've afforded to buy the car initially. Did you operate the clutch and transmission, it engaged all the gears? I have a slight beliefel the problem is worse than two bad coils. Not trying to scare you, just trying to get you some leverage to negotiate. Bring cash and show it, people's minds change when they see money.
Boa sorte.
The door its not closing all the way, the car seems that is free from accidents, theres no rain or mold inside.

Couldn´t look underneath the car, the clutch is all the way down, transmissions seems ok, all gears were fine. I believe the problem is much bigger than the coils, this thing will need a full engine rebuilt.

I brought cash, he just didnt care lol.

I gave up on it...

Thanks for everyone here to helping me out with this.

·
Boost Junkie
12,523 Posts
Looks more like $20-25K of work needed. I wouldn't pay more than $15K.

Steve

·
Registered
352 Posts
How's the labor price for body work in Brasil? 15K for body work in the US would be reasonable but in Brasil, it might be way less.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts