Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all!

due to career move, my baby has been sitting in my garage on jackstands for the past 8 month. I left all fluids in and disconnected the battery only. it will be another few month before I could start her up again....
I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions or experience at long term storage of cars, I do want her to be drivable when I go back.
so far I have heard from technicians to change fresh oil, drain and put fresh gas in the tank, new coolant, recharge battery. are there more things I should pay special attention to?

thanx!

Jonas

·
Inline for the win
4,770 Posts
You should of left trickle charger on the battery this entire time. You will end up replacing the battery. I didn't put one on last year and killed my redtop optima. I would just change all the fluids to be safe. It won't hurt but just help.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Best thing to do is to start it up every once in a while and get it up to operating temperatures.

I always add Stabil to my fuel...it helps it maintain its chemical properties over time. I think that regular fuel has about a 3 month shelf life before it starts to change properties.

Also, I think if you trickle charge the battery you have to make sure it has a voltage regulator or something along those lines so you don't damage the battery by over charging.

·
1 ur Mom warned U about
657 Posts
Also remove the EFI fuse and crank her up for a few mins so that the Oil gets going for lubrication and you don't have a dry start. You will most probably have to change the battery after it being sitting for so long.

·
1,522 Posts
H_a_D_e_S said:
Also remove the EFI fuse and crank her up for a few mins so that the Oil gets going for lubrication and you don't have a dry start. You will most probably have to change the battery after it being sitting for so long.
Yea, that is VERY good advice. Otherwise your pistin rings might be dried out and if you start the car it's going to rub them really fast against a dry cylinder wall. That can't be good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts