Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Jason and I just recently got a supra mk3 non turbo with a 7m engine 205k miles on it. I want to rebuild the engine and put a turbo in it. I don’t really know what I really need to first rebuild the engine. I want to do that first and then buy the turbo. Or buy everything all at once. I wanted to know what parts I need to rebuild the entire engine. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Do you want it to be like a stock 7MGTE? How much are you willing to put down?

Look online for a 7mge rebuild kit. It might be pricey, but it'll have everything you need, new gaskets, seals, etc. If you're wanting to turbo your GE you can find a lot of used OEM parts on ebay, junkyards, offerup, forum members. Or you can go all out and buy a nice turbo kit, it all depends on what you want.

My advice would be to get the rebuild kit and get it running before talking about more power, it's easy to get ahead of yourself in the car world lol. Everything takes longer than it's "supposed" to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I talked to a buddy of mines that is always working on his Toyota 86 about possible engine swap to a 2jz. He suggested I just keep my 7m rebuild it and turbo it, or keep the motor as is and just run it on low boost. But I wanted more power. Around maybe 500hp or more no more that 700 tbh. Yes I would like to keep my 7m and turbo it. He also told me than same thing that it’ll take longer than what it’s supposed to be. He was suggesting I save up at least 4K I was thinking around 5k just to be safe. What do you think @Supra_Spooler

·
Registered
105 Posts
I talked to a buddy of mines that is always working on his Toyota 86 about possible engine swap to a 2jz. He suggested I just keep my 7m rebuild it and turbo it, or keep the motor as is and just run it on low boost. But I wanted more power. Around maybe 500hp or more no more that 700 tbh. Yes I would like to keep my 7m and turbo it. He also told me than same thing that it’ll take longer than what it’s supposed to be. He was suggesting I save up at least 4K I was thinking around 5k just to be safe. What do you think @Supra_Spooler
Is your car running well? Not sure if you need to rebuild the whole thing if it runs.

I'll let some of the 7M guys jump in here and give their opinion. It takes a lot of time and money to make power like that. You're looking at a full standalone, bigger injectors, bigger turbo, etc.

If you're really focused on getting some power then get your turbo parts, look into compression ratios, and get a 7MGTE ECU to safely run 8PSI, which is stock boost. Then over time upgrade parts here and there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It runs smooth it has a little tick but not bad. No check engine. I am going to do the oil change. It’s well taken care of. I just don’t want to blow something when I put in a turbo. I think my car makes about 200hp not really sure but a cool 500 would be nice. If I can do a little more then great. It’s not like ima gana drag or anything like that maybe just for fun weekend cruising race a little down the street nothing too crazy. I’d appreciate if you let them know I need some help. I appreciate your help as well. If you find out anything keep me posted or for any ideas

·
Registered
668 Posts
welcome to club never ending money pit

what trans is in that car ? auto/manual

I would do a compression test and see how much oil it uses on 1000 miles and then pontificate on rebuilding the engine

400whp is the edge of sanity for a 7m as far as reliability goes for the oem rotating assembly. some have pushed stock block over 500whp but Im not sure how long things hold up at that power level (oem cast pistons/rods).

you could performance build a 7m, forged pistons and rods. but whats the point. a 1z / 2j anything is stronger and you can just get a good to go imported engine and build up the parts you need while you dive the old driveline to the ground

not sure on your skill level or what you can/cant (or shouldn't haha) be doing. but 5k may get you setup with a turbo on your existing (hopefully healthy ) engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay so I just found out that I have a 7mge not gte I didn’t really know the difference but now I do.

·
7M Fanatic
3,103 Posts
GE = None turbo
GTE = Turbo.
You can't do much boost with non-turbo pistons, so forget that right away.

As madisonMK3 said, welcome to the money pit.

Have you ever completely rebuilt an engine, and are aware of the costs involved to completely go through even one? If not, don't even consider biting into this, unless you have a decent income, and a daily driver to use while you do this project.
Then READ some high performance engine building BOOKS.
Surfing the web on a cell phone won't get you anywhere, but into an unfinished project, with unrecoverable investments, or an early engine failure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts