Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
165.5hp/427lbs
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a "Ram Air" kit sold for the Lexus IS300 made by
Weapon-R, and since we have the same engine just about, would this work on our Supras?

Y

·
0 Posts
$7.98 Closed System

I have a similar home-made setup, but it is not "closed". I have an HKS filter, and stopping just short of it is a standard square accordion air hose that just fits through the original air intake cut out where the factory air filter drew its air. (Maybe for a '78 Ford? I found it browsing AutoZone.)

I ran the hose under the headlight, through a bolt on panel I removed from the light housing (on the wall on right if you are in front of the car). From here the hose runs down through a hole I cut in the bottom stone-guard plastic, and is tied to the bottom grill with four zips. I stretched the air hose tight to eliminate as much vibration as possible. I was going to use aluminum, but it's hard to get it through the labyrinth without permanent creases.

You could probably tie this sort of setup to the front of a FIPK or Hyper filter the same way the Lexus diagram shows using some duct tape and a little ingenuity to create a "closed" system. Either way, you can get some cold air to the AFM.

·
Always Furious. Now Fast.
447 Posts
I made a similar setup on my last supra that was actually pretty trick.

Cut a hole in the fender floor under the stock air box and mounted a 3" pvc flange.

Under that I attached a 3"-4" closet 90 degree so that the 4 " opening was almost flush with the passenger side opening in the air dam.

Cut a matching hole in the bottom of the stock air box and sealed up the original inlets.

Remounted the stock air box over the hole with a gasket, creating a pressurized air chamber. Worked pretty well and that was only with the stock drop in.

--------------------------------------

I have a new setup in mind that will actually hang a cone filter down into the wheel well with a barrel shaped guard to keep water and stuff off of it....

Y

·
0 Posts
Ain't it wonderful

Great Idea. Wish I had tried that before I went HKS. Aint't it wonderful what you can accomplish if your budget is less than $20.

E

·
0 Posts
The ultimate Ram-Air mod for the Supra

You want ram-air? You want inexpensive? Well, here's a deal you can't pass up!

A supra owner here in the PacNW is offering his own exclusive Ram-Air mod, the ULTIMATE mod for your supra, called the "RAC" for short. Here's a pic and description:

The Ram Air Chicken hood-ornament not only provides your supra with better under-hood cooling, but also distinguishes you as a "highly-modified supra.

Specially prepared by a local vendor, the RAC ornament has a low-drag flouropolymer FEP/PTFE type coating that enables it to add only .005 drag CD to the cars total drag (mk3 application). An upcoming electronic RAC version will allow beak and wing articulation to provide "active-aero" and provides greater downforce on the front wheels of the car as speed increases.

Kit includes installation gaskets, hood-cut-out stencils, and mounting hardware. The RAC is available in factory colors, or "Ferrari-yellow" for the ultimate in nighttime visibility.
You know you want one!!!! ;)

E

·
0 Posts
more RAC info

Oh, here's a side view showing how it's low profile and aerodynamic shape help keep a low drag coefficient.

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
lol dude that is too funny man. How much are they and how much of a gain in hosepower can i expect AT THE WHEELS? Any information on this new mod would be great. Havent i seen those on the Older Camaros running 7s?
Thanks
Later

E

·
0 Posts
ThomsonCharm said:
lol dude that is too funny man. How much are they and how much of a gain in hosepower can i expect AT THE WHEELS?
Well, of course to gain maximum HP from this mod, it must be accompanied by proper engine tuning. But with the proper tuning (bigger turbos and a FMIC help too) the power gains should be phenomenal! Sitting in the car with the RAC on the hood you'll immediately notice how much faster the car feels!

... and chicks really dig it! :D

E

·
0 Posts
ThomsonCharm said:
Havent i seen those on the Older Camaros running 7s?
Yes, there's a Camaro version... but the mounting is different. For the camaro, the chicken is inside the car, instead of on the hood.

:p

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
lol dude thats awesome sign me up for one i wanna beat those camaros but i dont need a mullet to do so. I just need a RAC have are you guys advertising in Super Street or anywhere like that i thought i saw your add next to the APC add on page 57. Well anyway do you accept Discover? Because i heard you can pick up ALL SORTS of Chicks with that mod i hear they flock right to you.
Later

1 - 10 of 10 Posts