Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
Totally depends on how wide of a wheel you want

...and then also make sure the wheel clears the front brakes since if it doesn't you'll need a different offset to allow for the spacer.

One example that requires no mods of any kind on my car lowered 1-1/2": my 18" wheels are 9-1/2"F and 10-1/2"R both +45mm offset and no clearance problems ever with 255F/285R tires

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
Did you ever look at Steve Jarvis' wheel fitment guide spreadsheet here? It's a sticky in the tech section http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12049 ...and you'll see posts in there asking about fitment that will give you some good examples. Also, in the "exterior, interior, detailing" section there is a sticky called "official rims/wheels post" that has many more examples with pics.

You said no mods so to me that means no rolling or cutting fenders. With a "normal" alignment (e.g. Lance alignment) that does not have excessive camber just to clear wheels and on a car that is lowered somewhat but not slammed (lowered say 1" to 1.5") Steve's fitment guide gives a pretty good number. Some call the spreadsheet fitment overly conservative but if you go with a more aggressive offset the wheel lip sticks out past the fender lip which IMO looks like crap...but if you like that look then you can go "more aggressive", or if you want a more aggressive offset you can stretch a smaller tire on the wheel which also buys you a little more space.

According to Steve's fitment guide, a 18" X 8.5" front wheel with 245 tire needs a +37mm offset; an 18" X 9.5" rear wheel with a 275 tire needs a +40mm offset.

If the wheels you choose need a spacer to clear brakes, the offset numbers change (go up) by the spacer thickness in mm.

Another way to gauge this is to keep in mind that stock wheels are +50mm offset. Since the stock rear wheels are 9.5" wide, a different 9.5" wheel at +40mm will push the fender/wheel outward by 10mm more than stock...which is good since most people think the stock wheels are a bit too sunken into the fender well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts