Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are all the things you can do to make the supra lighter without removing the a/c, heater core, or door panels.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
lets go RICE!!! shave the door hande yo! i'll give you MAD PROPZ if ya do, shaved handles are so Sweet yo!

NOT

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
the most easy one the rear tire ..and change what ever bolts and nuts to titanium!

also get lighter seats and chuck the rear ones!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. Titanium exhuast and stainless steel down pipe should save a lot of weight over stockers.

2. Everything behind the front seats can go. Which include rear seats & seat belts, trim pieces, carpet, spare tire, tools, and etc.

3. Front and rear wind shield wipers and motor if you live in a sunny area or you can rely on rain x. Windshield washer tank.

4. Air bags and sensors.

5. Valve cover

6. Cruise control

7. racing seat

8. ditch passenger seat (don't need a passenger slowing you down)

9. Stereo

10. smaller battery.

11. Lexan windows.

12. Get a horse jockey to drive your car.

List goes on and on. Most items that you remove will some how affect comfort, legality, or screw up the weight distribution of the car. Unless you are using the Supra as a race car and you are at the point where mere tenths of a second makes a difference, it's not worth it.

-Rudy
VR RX-7 TT
Blk/blk Supra TT

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Valve cover??

How does aluminized exhaust compare to titanium in weight and sound? It has to be cheaper.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My vote for weight reduction is to go single turbo! People say usually a 75lb savings some claim 100lbs. Get rid of that heavy stock manifold for a header. More power, less weight not even "Fitness guru John Basedow" can top that one.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well all sounds good but i need more. so far i have done this......
single turbo
TE-37's
no cats
no rear seats
no trunk carpet
no rear panels
sparco torinos
fiberglass hood
no headliner on targa
no factory seat belts for front and rear
antenna
rear windwhield wiper and motor
front wind whield wipers
windshield washer tank and hoses
hood squirters and hoses
rear window squirter and hose
speakers and wires
sound deadning
cruise control and wiring
spark plug cover
front and rear bumpers
air bags and sensors
smaller battery
spare tire and jack

i think thats about it. anyone know about removing the ABS system? at least the abs sensor on the rotors. can they be removed since the trac and abs fuse is gone?

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
replace stock with electric fans. save 10lb of rotational weight at the expense of possible overheating. Thats like 100lb stationary?
My factory spoiler weighs 7lb

Torinos are heavy. And if you are going to remove all creatrue comforts might as well go with the non adjustable racing shells like 5lb-10lb each.

I think the factory alumnim hood is pretty light already so theres minimum gains from going to fiberglass.

Coilovers are lighter than factory springs and shocks. Save 20 pounds at least.

no headliner on targa
antenna
rear windwhield wiper and motor
front wind whield wipers
windshield washer tank and hoses
hood squirters and hoses
rear window squirter and hose
speakers and wires
sound deadning
cruise control and wiring
spark plug cover
front and rear bumpers
air bags and sensors
smaller battery

You're willing to ditch all that but you still want to keep the AC and heater which weigh 80??? These things IMO are not worth removing unless its a pure race car. You gain so little and lose so much. Lets face it the pig's been build bigboned.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i still wanted to look stock. so i cant remove everything. the torinos feel the best. i want comfort for my ass. i already have coil overs but i didnt know they had a big weight difference. the only reason im trying to get rid of weight was because of a new roll cage coming in. thanks for all your inputs.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Well the Torinos are heavy ass seats and don't save anything over stock for weight. I used the SPARCO Roadsters in mine. Unless you have a big ass they're more comfortable than the Torinos and weigh in at 15#s, so you save another 50#s under the Torinos right there with two seats. Plus they're $100 cheaper per seat. That alone would more than make up for the weight of a chromoly rollbar setup. In cromo a six point w/ swingouts should come in to around that or a little less... Anyone out there with exact figures on that?

Also there are the CF Recarros at about 5-7#s, little more pricey though...

So let me get this straight, you expect to have the stock look with what you've already removed?:rolleyes:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
theman said:
Well the Torinos are heavy ass seats and don't save anything over stock for weight. I used the SPARCO Roadsters in mine. Unless you have a big ass they're more comfortable than the Torinos and weigh in at 15#s, so you save another 50#s under the Torinos right there with two seats. Plus they're $100 cheaper per seat. That alone would more than make up for the weight of a chromoly rollbar setup. In cromo a six point w/ swingouts should come in to around that or a little less... Anyone out there with exact figures on that?

Also there are the CF Recarros at about 5-7#s, little more pricey though...

So let me get this straight, you expect to have the stock look with what you've already removed?:rolleyes:
yeah in the front at least. my back windows are tinted a little. stock meaning that you cant tell that i removed things like the speakers and wires and airbags. shit like that. how do your roadsters look? got a pic?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I love the Roadsters, but sorry I still need to take pics. The top sections of the seats look the same as the Torinos, but the actual curve of the wide section at the top where your shoulders rest is formed much better. The Torinos seemed to curl my shoulders forward where the roadsters kept them back in a more natural position.
The seats are non-adjustable for tilt, but with the sparco brackets I set the angle and it's been perfect for me ever since. When anyones else sits in them they're at just the right position with just sliding the seat forward or back.
The only down side is guys with a 36" waste or larger probably have trouble with the narrow bottom ends. I have a 34" waste and my ass fits just right in the seat, but I've seen guys larger than me aren't comfy...
So if you have a wide ass you may wanna keep the Torinos.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
theman said:
I love the Roadsters, but sorry I still need to take pics. The top sections of the seats look the same as the Torinos, but the actual curve of the wide section at the top where your shoulders rest is formed much better. The Torinos seemed to curl my shoulders forward where the roadsters kept them back in a more natural position.
The seats are non-adjustable for tilt, but with the sparco brackets I set the angle and it's been perfect for me ever since. When anyones else sits in them they're at just the right position with just sliding the seat forward or back.
The only down side is guys with a 36" waste or larger probably have trouble with the narrow bottom ends. I have a 34" waste and my ass fits just right in the seat, but I've seen guys larger than me aren't comfy...
So if you have a wide ass you may wanna keep the Torinos.
hey my ass dont look fat!! im only 135 lbs. haha. i just installed new brakes today and i had to cut off the old rotor guards. the metal things on the back side of the rotor. in the rear i found about a 20 lbs weight loss but am still skeptical about doing it. what do you think about removing one parking brake assemly and cable? i dont think you need two. thats a lost of weight not needed. what do you think?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts