Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone
im new to this board and was wondering if you guys can help me out. i have until thursday to decide on a 93 supra 6 spd twin turbo or a 97 eclipse spyder gst both with about 50-60k miles on them and i was wondering which i should pick. somethings i have to consider is insurance im 19 with ok driving record (driving for 3 years). another thing is that i know with a eclipse i could probably run 12s with say about $2k worth of stuff but im not so sure what i can run with a supra. please dont flame on me since this chance to get a supra just came up and i havent really had time to research much about them. i like to street race and was wondering what parts and how much it would take to make a supra run say mid-low 12's with street tires and pumped 91 gas.
thanks for reading this
any comments will be ppreciated :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry that was a type o around $3k
Blow Off Valve / Compressor By-Pass Valve ($85)
High-flow Catalytic Converter (Cat-Con) or Test Pipe ($35 / $100)
BOV Return / Dump Tube (free)
Cone Type Air Filter ($85)
Upper IC Pipe ($65)
Cat-Back Exhaust System ($490)
Downpipe ($220)
Turbo big 16g ($800)
Port Turbo ($125)
Port Oxygen Sensor Housing ($75)
Ported Exhaust manifold ($80)
Fuel Pump ($165 or $25 to rewire the stocker)
Fuel Tuning ($320)
Injectors ($290)

$2735
about $3k with a manual boost controller and gauges
1/4 mile
~12.7-12.9

·
Registered
255 Posts
Go to www.mkiv.com for the lowdown. "Generally" you can achieve 12s or sometimes 11s in a Supra for about $1200-$1300.

Greddy BCC ($100)
Exhaust ($600)
Downpipe ($250)
Boost controller (MBC) ($100 or less)
Boost gauge ($200ish for a nice peak hold one)

$1250

These are the mods on my 6 speed. 12.7 @ 115mph. That is an average time done on stock size rear tires, not drag radials. I have a Greddy airfilter too, but that probably does next to nothing.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WHEEL + TIRES = 1500+. So plus 1500 to whatever u came up w/. BTW, what kind of BOV cost only 85? Doesnt tranny need to upgrade too? I feel something is still missing but cant point it out. So good luck

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you can use a 1g eclipse bov thats why its so cheap. eclipse trannies arent that reliable so you would probably have to upgrade it but you can always do that later. the stock tranny should hold up for a while. o yea i was wondering how much nos a supra can handle with stock internals

·
We has your money!
576 Posts
sdf

what kind of car did you have before this...I wouldnt go from driving a beater to a supra..I would go to an eclipse..they are good cars, easy to mod, plenty of aftermarket parts..It will give you a good basis of modding a turbo car...what works and what doesnt...good luck

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm

Thats not a very touch choice. TT supra would be the way to go if you want to run with the big boys.

If this was a GSX AWD then I would say there is a chance of comparrison. But even then I would compare the to. I have owned a GSX, yea the luanch was good, the understeer sucked the interior was pretty weak. Car was to heavy to have a 4cyl in it.

My main concern would be that horrible FWD understeering GST.

But anyway its your choice. If you want to be quick buy the GST if you want to be FAST then get the supra.

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
Well when it comes to speed, looks, design, interior, comfort, rare-value, The supra wins in all departments.

How many supra's do you see on the road?
How many Eclipses do you see on the road? (One to 7 every freekan day).....

So wouldn't it be nice to be a little Different (meanwhile, its been agreed Eclipses are GIRLS cars cause girls love em, and drive em, and think their GS Models are "Fast and Furious")......
Also, the interior will be better (I've had an eclipse, it has that wraparound as well just not as good as the Supra)....

The Supra is FR. The Eclipse is FF.
The Supra handles much better (Someone commented about understeer, YES your right!) lol.

And about prices, they both can have expensive (well more expensive on supra) or cheaper upgrades. It's toyota, so its reliable (my Eclipse fell apart, damn mitsubishi), and many parts are available.

I had an eclipse, then an integra (Ugh the Integra is SO much better in every aspect, cept interior :( )....and soon....93.5-95 6-Speed TT Targa Supra! :D I can't wait.....

·
3,148 Posts
You will not get a GST Spyder in the 12's for that money. Remember Spyder = more weight and FWD. A GSX would get you there, but a GST Spyder will not do it on street tires.

You could probably do a MBC $100 and BCC $100 and downpipe $300 and get a Supra into the 12's for $500. On street tires.

Later, Steve

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are so many "here and there" costs when building a car. You might say, "hey! I have $2k to throw into my car!". Then you buy tires, wheels, a head unit, a tach, and shit to wash the car with and your $2k is gone and the car's not any faster. The best thing to do is shoot very, very high with your estimate. I don't mean to sound like an ass but if you could go 12s with a 2nd gen DSM with $3k in mods I think a lot more people would be doing it. That's like 2 full seconds shaved with just $3k. People would be buying 1st gens and running 12s for $7k, car included. That just doesn't seem right. Just lowering the damn car would cost 25% of that number. Don't DSM trannies have to be beefed up to take any kind of power at all? Also, you have to factor in labor that adds up to almost if not more than the cost of the parts. Anyone who could build a 12 sec DSM in their garage wouldn't be asking questions on a message board, so I'm guessing labor applies in this situation. Good luck with whatever you do...and to answer the initial question: Supra! :p Good luck and happy car shopping man... :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
People do run 12's for that much money in a 2G GSX. It will take ALOT more money for a 2G FWD Spyder to run that though.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Re: sdf

sonik said:
what kind of car did you have before this...I wouldnt go from driving a beater to a supra..I would go to an eclipse..they are good cars, easy to mod, plenty of aftermarket parts..It will give you a good basis of modding a turbo car...what works and what doesnt...good luck
nonsense!

why wouldnt you go from a 120hp FWD 4 door beater to a supra? that's what i had, a 4 door fwd beater, heh. then i bought the supra with 327rwhp and 318 torq with an intake, exhaust and hardpipes with upgraded twin disc clutch. first time in a stick too, go figure. it's not that hard to drive, car feels slow though, anyhow 2222 is the best place to go 60-65mph on over here in austin tx. ;)

·
UNLIMITED !
1,411 Posts
Well....

Well, i decided to throw my 0.02, For FWD i wouldnt get, i rather drive a Supra, i have both worlds, and i love both...but between a FWD or RWD i would choose the Supra for everything pretty much, now on a side note, you do can run 12's and i believe it has been done running high 11's on stock 14B turbo, as a matter of fact a good buddy of mine ran 12.5 on his stock turbo, stock downpipe, just AFC and 550's injectors....and exhaust , clutch. Nothing else. And no cold weather here, it was in the hot humid weather of FL.

Now as far you said GSx's are girls car ?? well i will like to see a girl in a GSX giving you the hit in your Supra, that should be hilarious dont you think ? :beer: I mean everyone has their different opinions but, that GSX girls car thing...hmm dont match...
just my thought...
PhoeniXDownVII said:
Well when it comes to speed, looks, design, interior, comfort, rare-value, The supra wins in all departments.

How many supra's do you see on the road?
How many Eclipses do you see on the road? (One to 7 every freekan day).....

So wouldn't it be nice to be a little Different (meanwhile, its been agreed Eclipses are GIRLS cars cause girls love em, and drive em, and think their GS Models are "Fast and Furious")......
Also, the interior will be better (I've had an eclipse, it has that wraparound as well just not as good as the Supra)....

The Supra is FR. The Eclipse is FF.
The Supra handles much better (Someone commented about understeer, YES your right!) lol.

And about prices, they both can have expensive (well more expensive on supra) or cheaper upgrades. It's toyota, so its reliable (my Eclipse fell apart, damn mitsubishi), and many parts are available.

I had an eclipse, then an integra (Ugh the Integra is SO much better in every aspect, cept interior :( )....and soon....93.5-95 6-Speed TT Targa Supra! :D I can't wait.....

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you think you can get away with 91 octane pump gas in either car, you shouldn't be considering them.

Supra will be faster for less modification money, it will also cost more to own and maintain, most likely. And you sure as hell will blow it up in no time if you run 91 octane in it with the boost upped.

-Pete

·
MKIII owner
87 Posts
I guess I'll throw in my opinion. First off, if you can afford the Supra in the first place, why would you go with the Eclipse?

Supra vs. Eclipse is a bad comparison. Eclipses cost around $24K new and Supra TTs cost around $40K new. That is, when they were both being sold (and don't tell me the Eclipse is still being sold because I would never buy a 3G). So, the Supra is in a class above the Eclipse. They can both be made really fast but with different costs. Supra OVERALL will be more expensive (buying the car plus mods) than the Eclipse. But, the Eclipse is more likely to give problems (good old Mitsubishi) and is tougher to get below 11s.

Of course, the Eclipse still is a fast car. And AWD is A LOT of fun. It all depends on what you want and can afford. For me, it was what I wanted and what I could afford (college student).

By the way, Eclipses are chick cars, Talons are guy cars. :D Kidding of course, since I would love to see girls driving around in DSMs...a hot girl in a DSM is an awesome sight.

Jon

·
Lost in Dawg-land
550 Posts
1st: It seems silly to me, a DSM guy, that you are
having a hard time making a decision between the two
cars. Hands down, the Supra will take to mods
quicker and run 12's for a fraction of the cost to
make a 2g Spyder run 12's.

2nd: Insurance is the thing that would make the
decision for me as a Supra will be a bit more to
insure than the DSM.

BTW, DSM trannies can take 12's without the need to be
strenghtened, for a while atleast. And 12's is cake
on a AWD DSM for 3k. You just have to know where to
spend your money. :) The above price list for mods
is even a bit high.

MustangGt: The reason you don't see more 12 sec DSMs
isn't because it can't be done for 3k in mods it is
because they are all being bought up by riceboys that
throw there money out the window on the pretty stuff
and not the stuff that works.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im a DSM guy myself, (92 Talon AWD), but there is no way id take a 97 GST spyder...a heavy FWD poser car, over a MVIV Supra in decent condition.

Im not sure about the money situation, but i know you cant run anywhere near 12 sec. in a 2G eclipse without a bigger turbo. with the Garrett T-25, most guys are stuck in the low 14's or maybe high 13's. the Mitsubishi TD05-14B that comes stock with the 1st gens is capable of low 13 to high 12 times with the right mods...but hes not buying a 1st gen so thats immaterial. BPU supras can go mid to low 12's easliy.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts