Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why is it when im on the free way and drive normal and everything is normal but then i gas it boost it for like 10 the temp gauge goes up. and if i dont let go of the gas it will over heat!!/????:spank: :spank: :anger:

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Slight BHG symptoms. Will get worse. It overheats when you boost and gas it because you're putting a great deal more stress on the engine. Does it overheat going up long hills? If you take the rad cap off while it's cool and start the car does coolant shoot out?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just replaced the head gasket with a felpro metal gasket and arp studs torqued to 72lb . could it be that i have a clogged cat?? the one from the turbo?? no coolant is always full.

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
T-Stat, BHG, faulty rad. cap, clogged cat, poor compression, cracked block, any number of things...first thing I would do is hydrocarbon test.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just put this jspec motor in a 40,000 mile one then blow the head gasket of that stock one then replaced it. could of the coolant and oil running down my cat have clogged it?? it boosts fine too but then it gets hot!! and at night the turbo glows bright

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no i replaced everything this motor is fast and strong stock!! i have a intake and a 3 inch exhaust from the end of the down pipe back!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it doesnt feel as strong in 2nd and 3rd gear though

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
just having fixed something doesn't rule it out as a problem. When installing the MHG did you have the block/head machined? Coolant and oil from your BHG could *coughcoughnotlikelycough be your prob. It's something you can check...I suppose...but I would want to get a grasp on the typical MKIII problems before I start hunting for needles.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have no fan shroud . would that be it???? remember it only changes temp when i floor it on the free way only not the streets

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
no...I have no fan shroud and no problems. Thinking of it, if your cat was clogged then you'd be experiencing massive amounts of lag. I stand by my suggestion that you do a hydrocarbon test.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok this might sound stupid whats lag how does lagg feel turbo lagg we mean right.

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
yeah...turbo lag. Lag is the time spent waiting for the turbo to spool up and build boost. It's hard to describe...maybe someone else here can do it better...but if the cat was clogged then it would take forever for the turbo to spool up. You'd be much higher in the RPM band before full boost caught on.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok make since it does do that sometimes ill be at 4 to 5 an the boost would sometimes be at 5 !!

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
If you're not hitting full boost until 5k I would assume something's wrong with:

Turbo
Cat
BOV

But I'm not a turbo person yet....

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My car's cooling system is a little overwhelmed too. It overheats on 95+ degree days when I'm stopped in traffic with the A/C running. It also overheats on long grades when I'm running 3+ psi for more than 45 seconds or so. I have found that (1) my fan clutch is shot as it should roar similar to my Toyota truck's fan, (2) I have an '89+ fan shroud on my '88 and there's a hole for a second electric fan I don't have--need to fill in that hole, (3) I don't have the "belly cover" that goes under the car that helps direct air flow through the radiator. I am convinced that addressing these issues will take care of my overheating problems. Don't automatically assume overheating is due to a BHG.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Yea i gotta get that lower engine cover, someone said it will also help on the gas milage......

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i put in a good motor replace the t stat with 180 i have a new head gasket with arp bolts . i have no fan shroud . but my car does the same thing as paddlenbike . if i have on the boost for like 45 seconds on three or 4 psi the temp will go up just a little above the middle then as i let go of the gas it will cool down slowly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts