Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ex-MKIV TT OWNER
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I accelerate in 2nd and 4th gear there is no problem. When I slow down in 2nd and 4th gear the car will "pop" into neutral on its own. 1st, 3rd, and 5th gear "lock" into gear fine. Please tell me this is an easy (cheap) fix.
By the way I have the B&M short-shift kit.
It's a problem with the B&M kit and NOT MY TRANNY...right:(
???????????
???????????

·
Registered
283 Posts
Man, how I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings....
:(
The symptoms you describe indicate complete failure of the 2nd and 4th gear synchros.

For some reason, Toyota specifies that the Getrag 6 speed tranny is a replacement item only (they don't repair the synchros, you have to buy a new tranny). A new tranny can cost you anywhere from $1800 (used) to close to $5000 (new).

Jeff Watson (Toyota parts guy in Houston) has contacted someone to build replacement parts for the Supra tranny, but I don't know if anyone has had any luck with it.

I do know that Adam Gambuzza on this list has had his transmission rebuilt using parts from Jeff Watson. You might want to check with him and get his thoughts on it.

Hope everything works out for you.
Kelly

·
Registered
284 Posts
I always get the name wrong but Jeff or Falah on this board know a guy named Erik I believe who is in West Palm FL who can re-work the tranny. Also I believe the guys at toyotmoto near or in miami do the work to.

·
Yes, brothers own Supras
1,910 Posts
supra6spd said:
When I accelerate in 2nd and 4th gear there is no problem. When I slow down in 2nd and 4th gear the car will "pop" into neutral on its own. 1st, 3rd, and 5th gear "lock" into gear fine. Please tell me this is an easy (cheap) fix.
By the way I have the B&M short-shift kit.
It's a problem with the B&M kit and NOT MY TRANNY...right:(
???????????
???????????
Before u doing anything drastic check one thing. Where the shifter bolts onto the tranny there is a bearing installed. When my BD shifter broke and I replaced it with the stock one I didnt remove the bearing from the old one. My car would do the exact seem thing, pop out of 2nd and 4th only on deceleration. I replaced bearing and it was fine. Check that out first. The beraring could be worn or warped.

·
Ex-MKIV TT OWNER
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
?DAMN IT !!!!

Almost every day at work I watch the video of SW's 9 second pass in his 6spd.
How is it my little BPU supra needs a new Getrag??

I swear this car is cursed...
THE DAY I got my new clutch put in...the motor blew
THE DAY I got the new motor put in....the turbos blew
THE DAY I got the turbos installed...electrical problems
THE DAY I got the electrical problems fixed(yesterday)...tranny problems????

:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Ex-MKIV TT OWNER
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Re: Re: Supra "pops" out of 2nd and 4th gear????

Silver Orchid SP60 said:

Before u doing anything drastic check one thing. Where the shifter bolts onto the tranny there is a bearing installed. When my BD shifter broke and I replaced it with the stock one I didnt remove the bearing from the old one. My car would do the exact seem thing, pop out of 2nd and 4th only on deceleration. I replaced bearing and it was fine. Check that out first. The beraring could be worn or warped.
:cool: Cool...now this sounds more like it. Thanks for the new found hope, Silver Orchid SP60.
Bye the way, is this bearing something that should have been included with the B&M kit? Just wondering if I'll need to contact B&M or Toyota for this bearing replacement???
Thanks

·
Yes, brothers own Supras
1,910 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Supra "pops" out of 2nd and 4th gear????

supra6spd said:

:cool: Cool...now this sounds more like it. Thanks for the new found hope, Silver Orchid SP60.
Bye the way, is this bearing something that should have been included with the B&M kit? Just wondering if I'll need to contact B&M or Toyota for this bearing replacement???
Thanks
More than likely it wasnt included. You just take it out of your stock shifter when it is replaced.

W

·
0 Posts
Almost every day at work I watch the video of SW's 9 second pass in his 6spd.
How is it my little BPU supra needs a new Getrag??
Because SW doesn't bother with synchros!

I would follow Orchid's advice, and check all the bearings and bushings in the shifter mechanism. It could also lead to the symptoms you described.

·
...For Me to SUP On!!
211 Posts
did you check out the $1410 rebuild service offered by suprastore.com?

http://suprastore.com/sup6speedget.html

buying a new tranny for a synchro seems completely absurd... like throwing away a motor to get a new oil filter... i'm looking to buy a supra right now, but this issue has me concerned... has no one been able to find rebuild parts for these things?

·
Registered
74 Posts
JeffB said:
did you check out the $1410 rebuild service offered by suprastore.com?

http://suprastore.com/sup6speedget.html

buying a new tranny for a synchro seems completely absurd... like throwing away a motor to get a new oil filter... i'm looking to buy a supra right now, but this issue has me concerned... has no one been able to find rebuild parts for these things?
Depending on what goes wrong w/ the tranny it may be rebuilt. Toyota does say that it's a replacement only part, so any repair would have to be done elsewhere. Jeff Watson is the source for parts.

In general, Supra's tranny is very strong. Make sure to use that $50/qt fluid in it. And when you're looking for a car a bit of rattle is normal - so don't freak out. Even my old car w/ hardly any miles did that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts