Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im moving to an apartment without a garage. im used to putting the supra in a garage, but im going to have to settle for a carport at best, just wondering what protection people use against theft/nature. i have an alpine alarm system, im thinking a car cover would be a good idea...where would be a nice place to get one of those? -thanks in advance

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
do you have a daily driver? You can probably store it in one of those U-Store-It type places where you rent out a garage unit, if you're really afraid of something happening to it. Where is your apartment? Is it in a bad neighborhood?

·
Registered
110 Posts
^ what he said.

No offense, but your car will be easy target for anything... :(

·
Registered
659 Posts
find out a 24h surveilled (sp?) parking and rent a place there, here they cost about $130/month, but you have 100% warranty you'r car won't be stolen/damaged. if you plan to stay there for a long time you may think investing some $ in a garage of your own (making a small loan if necessary). Don't leave the supra on the road, even with a carcover. It will probably be stolen within some weeks or months.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i specifically wanted to find an apartment with a garage just for my supra...the $25 a month i pay is worth the peace of mind that nobody else has access to it besides me.....

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
I try to tell as many ppl as I can but having physical locks should probably be fine.
On my Supra TT I had a steering wheel lock, brake lock, and transmission lock and unless where you're living is worse than brooklyn, you'll be fine. I've personally had the car parked overnight for a week or 2 in NYC with no problems thank God.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
I'd be more scared to have my car vandalized or broken into than actually stolen.

About car covers, they tend to scratch the paint if you have the car outside. Dust and sand gets in between the paint and the cover and with the wind blowing it does a nice job of sanding your paint down. It's really noticeable on darker colors and causes swirl marks. If you're going to use a car cover, wash the car and put it in a garage - then cover it to keep the dust off the car.

Car covers do nothing to protect the car from vandalism or theft either, if anything it might be easier for someone to punch or kick your fender and have it go unnoticed unless you take the cover off which might not be daily

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If your car is important to you I would get garage space somewhere. If it were me I could not sleep unless it was completely protected. If it has to be outside get a car cover in a well lit area at the very least.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the replies i think im going to delay signing any lease until i find a place with a garage. i know id have trouble sleeping.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any tips on protecting a Supra in an condo underground parking? It's a single floor large underground parking, and my current car is parked close to the elevators. I've already had my plates jacked once. There isn't really any problems though, it's a good neighbourhood, but I am mostly worried about people tampering with it (paint, etc).

Anything I can do to protect it?

G

·
0 Posts
If you can find a garage that has surveillence, you can park it close to a guard/camera. But other than that, there isn't much that you can do against vandals etc. You might look into private lots that don't offer public parking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Adam S said:
Any tips on protecting a Supra in an condo underground parking? It's a single floor large underground parking, and my current car is parked close to the elevators. I've already had my plates jacked once. There isn't really any problems though, it's a good neighbourhood, but I am mostly worried about people tampering with it (paint, etc).

Anything I can do to protect it?
I think what you are doing is pretty good already.

One thing I would suggest is to park were the survellence cameras are is present. But be aware that breakins do still occur in underground parkings.

Make sure that you watch the gate close as you enter as well.

·
Centralia Zombie Patrol
1,371 Posts
You might also want to look into the reputation of the apartment complex you're living in. When I lived in Governer's Gate, it was a gated complex, but somehow people managed to snatch at least 10 sport bikes over the course of a year. The kicker, though, was when they stole an 03 Cobra that was easily a 10 second car. :mad: The place may have looked secure, but my cars are better off in the driveway of my house as opposed to that illusion of security that place presented.

·
-insert creative remark-
478 Posts
Yea, I definately agree ^^

Even though my apt complex is pretty laid back...I was worried for the first couple weeks when I did park outside and I would come out to people gawking, looking into my car, or it covered with handprints on the windows and doors. I'm real particular about handprints, especially on my windows...and every day there were a bunch or new ones. I then saw someone looking shady by my car when I walked out for work one morning. That night, she got her very own garage.

I would never park my car @ an apt complex unattended again after all that bs!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts