Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if the answer is known but why was the last generation Supra discontinued? Is there a parallel to the last generation (92-00)SC's?

Being in my 40's I am aware of the models progression and the last entry was a masterpiece which still today rivals most cars on the road with mature and modest mods.. Ironically being a CL guy and owning numerous SC's, it seems that both succesfull designs were years ahead of the times.

Thoughts?

· Boost Withdraws
366 Posts
it continued until 02 in japan as you would prob known that already..
i think it was the same reason why '95 or '96 only came in auto.. emissions..
i guess toyota didnt want to build their supra around our emissions laws anymore?
is that the question you were asking?
BUT rumor has it, mark5 coming, has HTP (hybrid turbo power) 375hp yay!
the the concept is ugly imo.. looks like a crossfire bleh.

· serbian by blood!!!
3,545 Posts
price had alot to do with that from 93-98 some dealers overpriced it kinda what they were doing to gtr..as well as all the stated reasons ubove.

toyota is not a loyal company they will stop making it if its not in their best interest. they way economy is now i doubt there will be mk5 anytime soon, besides toyota is experiencing some loss over the past few quarters, and they are freaking out, losing money is something the arent familliar with..

2,223 Posts
These dudes opinions are pretty much spot on... "Nothing Personal" It is just business.

Supras didn't sell.... SO!, if you are in business and a product isn't making you money, you are a dumbass to continue producing a procuct that isn't making you money..

I love the Supra just as much as everyone here but, the reason the stopped making it is because it was losing them so much money..

Economics my friend.... at least at the time they were selling them.

· King of Snark
2,126 Posts
When they stopped making it here in 1998 the sticker price was around 55 if I remember correctly and not many people were throwing that money on a japanese sports car then.

· Working OT
9,049 Posts
When they stopped making it here in 1998 the sticker price was around 55 if I remember correctly and not many people were throwing that money on a japanese sports car then.
It's basically the same thing that happend with the 300zx's they outpriced themselves. Back then people that could afford 55,000 were old white guys and at that price most of those people lean more towards vette's. I'm suprised the gtr is selling as well as they are more and more people on here keep posting up pics of "the new toy". I might actually be able to afford a gtr in 3 or 4 years hopefully they keep making them and there are a ton of them around to chose from.

· King of Snark
2,126 Posts
well that's why you see so many autos.. old guys don't want to deal with the shifting. I like the gtr, but my next car will be a tt 911.

· Registered
139 Posts
Well its not completley that they didn't sell well.

The model for the Supra wasn't going to make it through the SUV era. Plus Toyota's business model didn't have a place for the supra. Cars like the Supra are not there for high volume high margin sales. They are a niche that Toyota didn't have the stomach for.

Cars like the corvette are around for the same reason the supra was around it is just other companies are ok with a low volume high brand excitment car.. toyota shifted to being just an average car company that your mother may want a car from.

At least that is the way i see it.

· King of Snark
2,126 Posts
yea once they dropped " i love what you do for me toyota" they went downhill.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.