Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how the Mkiv Targa tops withstand rollovers? Obviously, every rollover is different, but I wanted to see in general if the tops tend to flatten easily.

Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
that is one thing I personally hope I never have to find out. If you are going to test this do it on one of the common black supras:D not on one of the good looking red ones.

Jeff

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're worried, get a roll bar. 'nuff said.

·
Registered
121 Posts
From personal experience, I would have to say that it holds together pretty well. I flipped my first Supra after spinning into a curb, finishing upside-down. I can still picture the view from the inside of the car . . . hanging by my seat belt . . . looking at dirt and grass through the front windshield . . . glass cracking around me.

Fortunately, I climbed out of the back hatch without a scratch on me. It held together like a tank. I was very impressed, but something I never plan on repeating.

·
Registered
763 Posts
463supra said:
that is one thing I personally hope I never have to find out. If you are going to test this do it on one of the common black supras:D not on one of the good looking red ones.

Jeff
Two weekends ago a bunch of my friends showed up to hang out at my house and we had a mini Supra meet. There was at least 5 red supras to my one black supra. :D Black supras are not so common around here.

-pete

·
man whore
318 Posts
I know personal experience my car was hit in the frount we wint of the road at 80 car flipped end over end 3 times and landed on the targa top. The drivers side was flat to the door but we were abale to get out the pasinger side. we both walked away the MD coud not beleve what the cops said the car looked like. he said we should be dead or at least have some broken bones not just cuts and stuff.

Look at the size of the B biller on the supra (its big) That car saved my life if I was in a lesser car I would be dead now.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know they hold well if you smack a pole asleep at 60 mph. Mine did not even come loose just ended up having the drivers side crushed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
holy...

JEBUS CHRIST DUDES!!! I'm truly sorry to hear about your accidents but no wonder it's harder to find these cars without a salvage title/wrecked! What other car do you know of (besides muscle cars that undergo complete frame off restorations) that can be brought back to life after accidents like these, and worse and still hold it's value. I think i have the only non wrecked supra out of the 15 around my area (approx. 20 sq. miles)

·
Registered
391 Posts
This is my car after it rolled over. Even though it's a hard top it's pretty sturdy, as I've come to learn about most MKIV's. BUT, the idea is to keep it on its wheels;)

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
I flipped my T88/6spd in January 2001 - rolled it three times...granted I had a roll bar, the car was totaled, but I walked away with only a small bump on the head.

Jay

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad to hear you're OK - I've ordered an Autopower roll bar - I can't see doing high speeds on the track without one. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts