Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idea: I need your input on this guys, after seeing numerous rally’s and gumballs to spice things up for the Supra guys. I what to know what people would think of a Supra Sprint in Florida to keep the idea small for constructive criticism a basic rally of only Supra’s in Florida with a thousand dollar buy in to participate you start off for example in Miami up to Orlando up I-95 then spend the night at a designated hotel and in the morning all head back down I-75 back to Miami. See now this is when it gets good the 1000 dollar entry fee depending on the number of cars would have a cash pay out at designated check points to and from the resting spot. For example lets say 50 cars join there will be a $50,000 pot first to hit Orlando would get $10,000 and first to hit Miami would get $10,000 in between there would be two check points heading to Orlando with a pay out of $2,500 each and on the way back to Miami the same two more check points paying $2,500 each for first place, there could also be a smaller pay out for 2nd and 3rd runner ups.

This is a basic concept and would like to know if people would be interested in such an event, this is just an idea and a basic draft of the concept further details would be worked out.

·
Factory RSP Hardtopper
1,961 Posts
Sounds cool but I don't think you'll get many takers at $1,000. Maybe $500. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Unless you have a passenger in the car that is no where near related to the driver in any form, you're going to have people speeding recklessly to try and get there first. That to me is something I wouldn't even bother doing because at that point its whoever gets there first gets the most money which will equal speeding out the ass. Not only that but if you look at it from a legal standpoint, because you or whoever organized it and set the rules could be ultimately responsible for any accident leading to injuries and or death which is possible at those speeds.

Aside from my criticism, I agree with him on this one and that $1000 is too steep. Especially with this economy. $500 sounds a little high too, but its more reasonable for most supra owners. As far as checkpoints and so on, what I personally would do is start it at either Miami, or Jacksonville and have 2-3 or even 4 checkpoints between starting point Miami/Jacksonville and finishing point of Miami/Jacksonville possible leading over I4 to Tampa or from Miami up 75 to tampa and then over with a stop in Orlando. Problem coming into making these highway based stops is that it takes out everything challenging for the exception of speed and would have to require a map and some challenge to it. You see where I'm going with this though and it boils down to making a long run thats going to take 12 hours possibly and atleast 2 days. But for the entry and the possibility of payoff it makes it worth it for the drivers. The part that will make it a challenge is stopping in the major cities and having to navigate around. The other thing to make it competitive but not rediculous is that all drivers must start at the same time from each stop. Say someone gets lost, ticket, etc you could be waiting up to an hour for someone further making this entire thing a long run.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, Miami to Orlando was just an example extending it where in the plans but at the same time keeping it in Florida. Intercity check points would be the best there for throwing in other factors such as traffic and the unwanted law enforcement. Given the nature of the run I am sure law enforcement would be aware of the event in some locations there for slowing down the members of the run. The one thousand dollar buy might be too high and can be lowered to accommodate the current economic situations, I figured the bigger the buy in the bigger the pay outs but I did want to have money involved to making things more interesting and not just your standard rally.

Another issue would be navigation given almost every cell phone has a step by step on getting to the designated location something would have to be done to even the playing field and some what blind the drivers not promoting wreckless driving, at the same time getting pulled over in which no body wants and waiting 30 minutes to 1 hour for a ticket could cost you that leg of the run.

Much more planning needs to be done such as locations and rules, but was more concerned on the reaction of people that would be interested in participating. Ideas, thoughts, concerns and input are welcomed.

·
Factory RSP Hardtopper
1,961 Posts
Plus trying to find 50 Supra's in Florida that run at the same time,:)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not really in it for the profit those are rough numbers hiring of staff and a hotel package would he include, to early on the drawing board to produce solid numbers.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Supra specific, will never work, especially with a $1K buy-in. This may work with the higher end crowd, but most wouldn't be able to justify the risk even with such a high reward. Gumball and One Lap are coming to town in the next few months as well.

We run 1-2 challenge rallies a year for Charity, it's amazing how much illegal activity occurs, how many cops are notified, and overall how wrecklace things can get. It's somewhat fun, but can be hair-raising at times, and all this being for charity, add 5-10k to the mix and you'll have some real chaos on your hands. I'd really hate to be the one behind such a run, can't imagine what the liability would be should something happen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts