Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

We, Antigravity Batteries, have been a Vendor on the forum for a few weeks and wanted to see if anybody had any questions about Lightweight Lithium-Ion Batteries for their Supras, or for any other Car.

If you are not familiar with Lightweight Lithium-Ion Auto Batteries, they offer some significant benefits over Lead/Acid batteries. Still, the fact is there is a lot of misinformation about them and Lithium batteries in general. So we are here to answer any questions and clear up any misinformation about this type of product.

Some of the Benefits of Lithium are:

1- It weighs only 15.5 lbs compared to the 50 lbs batteries in later model Supras. So, you're dropping about 35 lbs off your car just by swapping the battery.

2- Our Antigravity Battery has a much more advanced feature than anything on the market. For example, our Battery has a full on-board Battery Management System (BMS) for the safest and most extended life. 8-10 year lifespan.

3- Our battery is the first battery to have WIRELESS Built-In Jump-Starting inside the battery itself. So, if you ever come back to a dead battery, you simply press the Wireless Key Fob (2 pcs provided with the battery), start the car, and drive away without needing a jump-start or any assistance. No more getting stranded due to dead batteries!

If you have any questions about our products or about Lithium, please feel free to ask. Below is what our Battery does.

·
Super Moderator
10,407 Posts
I'd be interested in hearing an assessment of your batteries compared to the Odyssey PC 1200 and the Braille B3121. I have multiple vehicles, four of which are in nearby storage. The storage facility prohibits the use of battery tenders, which means I have to rotate cars to the house and place them on a tender to ensure the batteries remain powered up. This can be problematic when I am traveling for weeks and forgot to rotate one of these cars for the reason stated. The 8-10 year life-cycle claim is intriguing.

TIA,

Ken.

·
Administrator
17,241 Posts
I've owned an Antigravity battery in my Porsche 911 GT2 for about 6 months now, and want to say the product is very impressive and the company was truly great to work with...their customer service is on point. I've had no problems at all with the battery on a car that isn't driven too often, and I have a CTEK lithium charger that keeps it ready to go at all times. It's amazing how much more quickly the car cranks with this battery relative to lead-acid, and also how incredibly light it is too.

·
Super Moderator
10,407 Posts
I've owned an Antigravity battery in my Porsche 911 GT2 for about 6 months now, and want to say the product is very impressive and the company was truly great to work with...their customer service is on point. I've had no problems at all with the battery on a car that isn't driven too often, and I have a CTEK lithium charger that keeps it ready to go at all times. It's amazing how much more quickly the car cranks with this battery relative to lead-acid, and also how incredibly light it is too.
Steve,

I was under the possibly mistaken impression these batteries did not require a tender. Can you clarify?

Ken.

·
Administrator
17,241 Posts
Steve,

I was under the possibly mistaken impression these batteries did not require a tender. Can you clarify?

Ken.
Ken,

Although I believe the battery will live fine without a charger/tender, since the car is not driven often in winter and I have the means to tend it, I just leave it plugged in. If the good folks at Antigravity have told you that the batter will prove to be fine to sit for X amount of time, I would trust their recommendation of course. The emergency restart feature and remote are a very cool addition!

455 Posts
I purchased the tender since I leave it sitting in the car for weeks. If your car has any kinda drain then it would be required, but if you disconnect from the car then should be fine without a tender.

28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Brian,

In all honesty, we've never tested an ATX20-HD in any Supras (it is a motorcycle battery), so we were not too sure if it would work. We knew the cranking power would be more than enough, but were not sure if the limited capacity would be a problem. So thank you for posting this! We're happy to hear that you're using it problem free. :)

Just a quick question, if I may... Are you running all the original accessories, or have you removed or added any?

Thank you!

28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd be interested in hearing an assessment of your batteries compared to the Odyssey PC 1200 and the Braille B3121. I have multiple vehicles, four of which are in nearby storage. The storage facility prohibits the use of battery tenders, which means I have to rotate cars to the house and place them on a tender to ensure the batteries remain powered up. This can be problematic when I am traveling for weeks and forgot to rotate one of these cars for the reason stated. The 8-10 year life-cycle claim is intriguing.

TIA,

Ken.
Hello Ken,

Our full sized automotive batteries offer more cranking power, and are MUCH lighter as well. If I remember correctly, the capacity of that PC1200 is about 40 Ah, so we can match that as well. Actually, a lot of our car batteries are available in different capacity options, so you can pick the one that best suits your needs. For example, people with track cars usually go for the 24 Ah version for additional weight savings, while some others opt for the highest capacity available to match the original capacity rating as close as possible.

A really cool thing about our automotive batteries is the "Restart" feature they all come with. If you leave the car parked for too long, if you accidentally leave some accessories on, or you have parasitic draw issues, the battery will not go dead. Instead, it will put itself into "sleep mode" preventing the car from drawing any more power, while saving enough reserve energy for a couple more starts. So in this scenario, you would simply press the Restart button on the battery or on the Key Fob ( 2 pcs. provided with the battery) and start the car as if nothing happened. No need for jump-starting or push-starting, and no more getting stranded due to a dead battery.

Also, they come with full BMS (Battery Management System), along with a host of built in protections, such as over-charge, over-discharge, thermal protections, etc.
Warranty is 5 years on all our automotive batteries. If you opt for the smaller ATX30-HD (7.8 lbs.), the warranty is 3 years as that is actually a motorcycle battery. Even if your warranty is expired and you intentionally destroy your battery for fun, we will still work with you on getting you a nicely discounted new one. :)

P.S. Given your current situation, you might find our Bluetooth Battery Tracker interesting. It's a very simple install (one positive and one negative wire connected directly to the battery), very light, and draws a very small amount of current. It will monitor the battery for you, store a month's worth of data that you can view later (good for detecting parasitic draw or just to figure out how fast the capacity is dropping), and it will automatically send notifications and warnings to an app on your phone via bluetooth. We have them available for both Lithium-Ion and Lead-Acid batteries, and you can monitor up to 5 batteries in 5 different cars with one phone/tablet. More info on those: LITHIUM BATTERY TRACKER – Antigravity Batteries

We also make compact jump-starters: XP-1 MICRO-START Jump-Starter – Antigravity Batteries

Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions.

28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve,

Ken.
Hi Ken,

A battery tender is not needed unless you let the car sit for longer periods of time, or if you have parasitic draw issues. If you don't have any extra accessories that draw a lot of power, and you drive the car regularly, you'll be fine without a charger/tender. Even if you don't drive regularly, you'll be fine because of the Restart feature. The battery will simply go into sleep mode instead of dying. You just press the Restart button and start the car as usual. In this case, I recommend taking the car for a nice ride right after starting it, to allow the alternator to recharge the battery. That way you can avoid using a standalone charger/tender. The only "problem" (if we can call it that) with allowing the battery to go into sleep mode and then using the Restart feature, would be setting your clock again and/or unlocking the stereo if it's one of those anti-theft ones.

·
Super Moderator
10,407 Posts
Thank you for your responses. They will prove to be quite helpful once I get a chance to determine which model (s) best suit my needs.

Ken.

455 Posts
Hi Brian,

In all honesty, we've never tested an ATX20-HD in any Supras (it is a motorcycle battery), so we were not too sure if it would work. We knew the cranking power would be more than enough, but were not sure if the limited capacity would be a problem. So thank you for posting this! We're happy to hear that you're using it problem free. :)

Just a quick question, if I may... Are you running all the original accessories, or have you removed or added any?

Thank you!
I haven’t run with stereo and lights all on at once. I removed the radio factory amp. I purchased the battery for track days and since it only weighs 4.5 lbs. I have been driving it around without any issues so far!

·
Registered
96 Posts
If batteries naturally drain on their own, how does being in sleep mode keep it alive indefinitely? I imagine this cuts a circuit inside the battery to not allow the parasitic drain to continue drawing off the battery. How long will the battery be ok in sleep mode before it won't work without a jump?

28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If batteries naturally drain on their own, how does being in sleep mode keep it alive indefinitely? I imagine this cuts a circuit inside the battery to not allow the parasitic drain to continue drawing off the battery. How long will the battery be ok in sleep mode before it won't work without a jump?
That's exactly it. When it goes into sleep mode, the vehicle will not be able to draw any more power whatsoever. Now, the reserve energy will not be kept indefinitely, but it will be available for about 6 months (probably closer to a year, but we like to keep all numbers on the conservative side). Lithium-Ion batteries hold charge much longer than Lead-Acid when there is no draw.
But there is more to that than just being able to start the car later. The most important part is protecting the battery from over-discharge, the #1 killer of lithium batteries. Reserve energy/Restart feature is just a bonus.

28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven’t run with stereo and lights all on at once. I removed the radio factory amp. I purchased the battery for track days and since it only weighs 4.5 lbs. I have been driving it around without any issues so far!
Thank you so much for the feedback, Brian. If there is anything else that made a difference, please let me know. For example, if you've removed some accessories that would normally draw some power, such as a clock. And please PM us your shipping address, so we can send you a free gift as a token of appreciation.

BTW, if your alternator is healthy, you should be able to run with stereo and lights on at the same time without any issues. It could be a problem at idle since some alternators put out significantly lower voltage at low RPM. From our experience, however, most alternators in older Japanese cars don't go below 13.6-13.7 V at idle, so even that should be ok (unless it's a demanding aftermarket stereo system with power thirsty amps and powerful speakers/woofers).

·
Boost Junkie
12,480 Posts
Pretty neat information. I wish I had seen this before I bought a new PC925 last month.

Steve

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I remember drooling over lithium batteries back when Porsche was about the only one offering them in their GT3 cars... and they were around $3800, if memory serves correctly. Glad to see economics of scale have worked to spread the love. Another ten years and I bet we start seeing more of these as OEM batteries and replacement costs more in line with current lead and agm types. :)

So, question then. Say you're running one of the motorcycle batteries, because your car isn't needing the capacity that a larger model offers. It would seem that the aforementioned HTX-20-HD doesn't have the restart option. What, if any, special precautions need to be taken to get the car going again? I've heard some stories over the years, but didn't really commit much memory space to them because they were well out of my budget at the time.

I road trip my car, sometimes to go to autocross events in another state. Really wouldn't wanna be stuck somewhere waiting on a charger in a hotel room or at the event with a dead car because I goofed something up and can't jump the car like a normal battery... are my concerns misplaced?

455 Posts
Thank you so much for the feedback, Brian. If there is anything else that made a difference, please let me know. For example, if you've removed some accessories that would normally draw some power, such as a clock. And please PM us your shipping address, so we can send you a free gift as a token of appreciation.

BTW, if your alternator is healthy, you should be able to run with stereo and lights on at the same time without any issues. It could be a problem at idle since some alternators put out significantly lower voltage at low RPM. From our experience, however, most alternators in older Japanese cars don't go below 13.6-13.7 V at idle, so even that should be ok (unless it's a demanding aftermarket stereo system with power thirsty amps and powerful speakers/woofers).
Yes I forgot, that I did remove the clock and put a BTI can gauge in its factory location. So I went 2 weeks without starting the car, and it still tested good, and the test button was still indicating green. If I go longer than than 2 weeks I will trickle it for safe measure. Will pm you! Thanks

28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I remember drooling over lithium batteries back when Porsche was about the only one offering them in their GT3 cars... and they were around $3800, if memory serves correctly. Glad to see economics of scale have worked to spread the love. Another ten years and I bet we start seeing more of these as OEM batteries and replacement costs more in line with current lead and agm types. :)

So, question then. Say you're running one of the motorcycle batteries, because your car isn't needing the capacity that a larger model offers. It would seem that the aforementioned HTX-20-HD doesn't have the restart option. What, if any, special precautions need to be taken to get the car going again? I've heard some stories over the years, but didn't really commit much memory space to them because they were well out of my budget at the time.

I road trip my car, sometimes to go to autocross events in another state. Really wouldn't wanna be stuck somewhere waiting on a charger in a hotel room or at the event with a dead car because I goofed something up and can't jump the car like a normal battery... are my concerns misplaced?
Hi Brad,

That is correct. The ATX20-HD does not have the Restart feature, but it still has full BMS and all the protections in place. Over-discharge protection is very important, as it prevents from cell damage by putting the battery into sleep mode when the voltage drops too low. Generally, over-discharged Lithium-Ion batteries would have to be put on a charger, but because our battery is protected from over-discharge, you would be able to jump-start it. So basically, if the Voltage is over 10.5 V, you can jump it. If it dips below that, then it must be put on a recommended charger. But with that protection in place, it should never go below 10.5 V.

I recommend installing our Bluetooth Battery Tracker: LITHIUM BATTERY TRACKER – Antigravity Batteries
It monitors the battery for you, and sends data to your phone via Bluetooth. That way you'll know exactly what kind of voltage the battery is at, but more importantly, you would be able recognize a problem ahead of time. So if your alternator gives out during a ride, and the voltage starts dropping, you would get a warning on your phone right away. Plus, you can use it to perform cranking tests and alternators tests at any time.

For a quick jump-start, you can use one of our Micro-Start jump-starters, such as this XP-1:
It is also a power bank, so it can be used to charge/power phones, cameras, tablets, laptops, and other devices.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts