Supra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While nobody would be surprised to hear that I beat it, I have to say that things are pretty dang fast and quick off the line. We were leaving the Driving Range (he's a friend of mine) and he just bought the Jeep. I didn't think we were going to run, but he stayed up with me getting on the highway from the stop light. So I turned up the boost to 18 psi and waited till he got on the side of me. I took OD off and then let him drop his gear. We took off around 60/65 and he gained about a half a car, then I sped past and got about a bus length till I shut it down - only took it to about 105/110 - didn't even get into OD. I'm not sure if he really thought I'd pull on him that much, but I did. It was fun, just a few runs - but man do I want one of those for a Daily - I just don't know if I can live with 12 mpg.

I just hope he doesn't decide to SC it or Turbo that thing, then I'd be in for a fight.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Was just gonna say, the Henessey turbo package looks like its going to let its owners give out alot of hurting to unaware sportscars....if the customers ever get their Jeeps back :1poke:

Nice kill. I don't care if the things a land tank, even stock...those things are fast.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
eh still an suv I hate suv's. The smaller the better.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
eh still an suv I hate suv's. The smaller the better.
Yeah, who needs a roomy all-weather vehicle, right? :faint:

Even with a super/turbocharger added, a T71 Supra should have NO problem beaten an SRT-8 anything. The fastest forced induction SRT-8s are only running mid-11's...

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, who needs a roomy all-weather vehicle, right? :faint:

Even with a super/turbocharger added, a T71 Supra should have NO problem beaten an SRT-8 anything. The fastest forced induction SRT-8s are only running mid-11's...
Not if your on Stock Fuel and only running 18 psi - which is what I'm running.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
sorry, not many SUV's on the road that could do ANYTHING offroad

there is zero reason to own one, the reason they're "safe" is because they kill the honda and driver they hit.

I HATE SUV's, they get dismal gas milage, are usually driven by one person not hauling ANYTHING, and it's usually some idiot woman on a cell phone not paying attention.

Sure, it maybe fast, but it's guzzling gas, topheavy, and heavy as hell. Probably can't stop too well either. If I wanted something capable, I'd buy an old 4Runner, not one of these new SUV's that's more car than truck and huge because they're some idiot status symbol...

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry, not many SUV's on the road that could do ANYTHING offroad

there is zero reason to own one, the reason they're "safe" is because they kill the honda and driver they hit.

I HATE SUV's, they get dismal gas milage, are usually driven by one person not hauling ANYTHING, and it's usually some idiot woman on a cell phone not paying attention.

Sure, it maybe fast, but it's guzzling gas, topheavy, and heavy as hell. Probably can't stop too well either. If I wanted something capable, I'd buy an old 4Runner, not one of these new SUV's that's more car than truck and huge because they're some idiot status symbol...
Maybe that's because you live in Texas. There are many places in the US that SUV's are very necessary and are good alternatives to Trucks. They haul as much and many people as minivans, they can go off road, they can drive in less than desirable conditions safely, they can do what no Sedan/Sports Car/Minivan/Truck can do.

As far as the SRT8 goes, I agree it's not a typical SUV - but it's still bad ass. Also, the fact that it's AWD make is pretty sweet driving in any conditions even in Texas. Oh, and it looks sweet as hell.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Owning a GC srt8 its the biggest beast off the line to 60. We have guys that have a catback and cai doing 0-60 in 4.1. Of course after that its a turd with aerodynamics - but as a stoplight warrior its hella' fun. Oh and there is no tune out for it because DCX (chrysler) made it practically impossible to crack, so that 11 sec. fi Jeep is untuned...ps gas sucks at 12mpg

·
Registered
71 Posts
Eh, it is fast, but Car & Driver did a comparo with the Trailblazer SS and if I remember correctly the Jeep only seats 5 and can't tow anything. True most SUVs can go further "offroad" than most cars, but how many actually do? I doubt 95% of SUV owners do anything that an S4 Avant or Volvo V70R or XC70 couldn't do.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Really? I am on my second 4X4 SUV. I will ALWAYS own one...

a) It snows heavily in IL. I take pleasure in being able to drive through deep snow while everyone else is stuck in their driveway or buried in a ditch.

b) I despise hydroplaning when hitting rain puddles. Now I enjoy blasting through them without fear.

c) My MKIV Supra doesn't carry much lumber from Home Depot.

Sure, it maybe fast, but it's guzzling gas, topheavy, and heavy as hell. Probably can't stop too well either.
You need to do some research. That Jeep outperforms your MKIII Supra in all areas, except blown head gaskets. They handle extremely well, and one recently completed the One Lap of America...

"Heavy as hell". :lol: If a vehicle handles well, accelerates quickly, and brakes nicely, weight means nothing besides a few MPG loss.

·
Registered
5 Posts
its nice to if u need it were u live

i have a 2007 trailblazer SS and ive run the srt8GC and yea that thing is fast but my SS got beat by it by only a 1 and a half and im bone stock and it had the mopar short ram yea 10.5 mpg defitly sucks but tha thing had no problem going in the snow with the stock 20s on and i live in NY and i top it out at 135 kiled like a quater tank but it was funny and scary at the same time lol

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.