Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, guys I am looking to buy either an 93+ Supra tt or an 03' Cobra

I really want a 93+ Supra tt more than a Ford Cobra, duh. Thing is I am young (22) and I have enough $$ to buy either car, but stock isn't where I want my car to be. There are many factors I am looking at, including insurance.

I am having a hard time justifying (well kinda) If should pay $20k-$25k for a 10 year old Supra w/ 75k+ miles, when for $25k I can get a 03' Cobra w/ 5k miles.

Power vs. Money is the other issue. I know for a fact that for $6k (KB blowzilla, #55 injectors, pumps, install, tune) I can have a tuned 650+rwhp Cobra ready to roll. How much would it take to get a tt Supra converted to single and at 650+rwhp?

I can find good deals on Supras and I think they look killer and I love the fact they are so far and few in-between, but well its just hard deciding. I know Supras are good cars, but wouldn't you think that a Cobra w/ say 70k less miles would last longer? I want a reliable fast car and thats it. It seems clear to get the Cobra, just because $$ and mileage and age is an issue. But a Supra is a Supra not some everyday do dah car, even if the Cobra has 700 rwhp, I realize its still a Ford mustang.

Any help? Anyone been in this situation?

·
FUCK JDM
3,933 Posts
Supra = unique, excellent reliability, killer looks, Insane top end, and tons of bitchiz...

Mustang = although a cobra, its still another stang i see almost 10,000 times a day....

toyota vs ford reliability must you ask :rolleyes: :D

go with the Cobra, there'll be one less supra on the road;)

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,462 Posts
My advice to you is to get the Cobra. If the question actually crosses your mind "which one?" then the choice is not the Supra.

Hope to help

R

·
0 Posts
I am 19 and have owned 3 TT Supras with milage between 28-35k. Never had any problems with them. I have been in love with these cars since 1994 when my uncle bought his and I will never forget the day I first laid eyes on that car I always knew I was getting one. Anywas back to your question.

I was thinking the same as you and I just could not get myself to buy a Ford or a car that has the same gauge cluster, climate control knobs ect.... as there pick up trucks. Not to mention the car it self did not attract me at all.

The local dealer had 8 03 Cobras in march when I was interested and they are all still there today. Now if you can pick up a 03 Cobra for the same price as a 10 year old Supra with 75k miles imagine what the 03 Cobra will be worth in 10 years with 75k miles on it.

Now if you were talking bout a Z06 thats a whole different ball game :)

Dude I wouldnt even consider the FORD Cobra over the supra even if you can make huge power cheap its just not the same thing.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
MDSuPeRStAr said:
My advice to you is to get the Cobra. If the question actually crosses your mind "which one?" then the choice is not the Supra.

Hope to help
Not looking for this, its hard enough. I've never even owned a car, hell I've never owned a 2wd anything lol! Please no more "Better than you BS" A Supra is still just a car.

Its basiaclly like this I want a killer fast car thats reliable and looks great. The Cobra is cool, but when I see a Supra I almost wreck everythime I see one, you just don't get that out of a Cobra.

I love the Supra in everyway over the Cobra, but when it comes down to $$ the Supra isn't the right choice because for the same price it has tons more miles and is way older, but then you remeber you like the Supra more than the Ford in every way.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Now if you were talking bout a Z06 thats a whole different ball game :)

[/B]

lol!

I'm a Chevy man and yes a Vette is always in the pecture, but they will cost too much to get to 600+rwhp. Plus there body style is changing just like the Mustangs.

Yet again another reason I want a Supra, they haven't been replaced and look great today just like they did 10 yrs. ago.

R

·
0 Posts
nos2Supra said:
lol!

I'm a Chevy man and yes a Vette is always in the pecture, but they will cost too much to get to 600+rwhp. Plus there body style is changing just like the Mustangs.

Yet again another reason I want a Supra, they haven't been replaced and look great today just like they did 10 yrs. ago.
Thats my problem I can get a Z06 BUT the body is gonna change, they still dont have that "thing" that a Supra has when you see them. If I did get a Z06 and I see a Supra on the road I am gonna want it back REALLLLLY BAD. I have gone through that feelling before.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
redmkivtt said:
Thats my problem I can get a Z06 BUT the body is gonna change, they still dont have that "thing" that a Supra has when you see them. If I did get a Z06 and I see a Supra on the road I am gonna want it back REALLLLLY BAD. I have gone through that feelling before.
Only real reason I worry about a Supra is it will be my DD and whatever car I do get I am sure it will have atleast 60k miles + if its a Supra compared to 5k miles on a Cobra. I still will have my 00' Cherokee 4x4, but I want to sell it for mods. Only thing is I'm not sure how much it will cost to go single turbo.

Whats the most miles anyone has heard of on a tt?

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,462 Posts
nos2Supra said:
Not looking for this, its hard enough. I've never even owned a car, hell I've never owned a 2wd anything lol! Please no more "Better than you BS" A Supra is still just a car.

Its basiaclly like this I want a killer fast car thats reliable and looks great. The Cobra is cool, but when I see a Supra I almost wreck everythime I see one, you just don't get that out of a Cobra.

I love the Supra in everyway over the Cobra, but when it comes down to $$ the Supra isn't the right choice because for the same price it has tons more miles and is way older, but then you remeber you like the Supra more than the Ford in every way.
Wasn't anything more than how I felt, it wasn't Supras are superior stuff. I made a statement to help. It was much more constructive then the frist statement that came to mind, "Do a search." Sounds to me like you answered your question in that last paragraph, so good luck with a Cobra. They are nice cars and nothing to be looked down on.

Mike

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks,

Like how some of you guys don't want others to own a car like the one you own, thats real :rolleyes:

So you are saying because I am unsure I should just get the Cobra instead of a Supra? Have you had trouble w/ your car or what?

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,462 Posts
I'm tired of this. I was simply saying that if your unsure dont buy the Supra. THATS ALL. Do a fucking search as no one likes to address this issue as it is brought up every few weeks.

And my first Supra saved my life in a roll over accident.

Good day.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
MDSuPeRStAr said:
And my first Supra saved my life in a roll over accident.
When some idiot ran a red light and T-boned me at a few years back, I was damn thankful for every bit of that 3400lb, built-like-a-tank car :) Otherwise my friend would be dead and I would have been seriously injured.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Sounds to me like you have already made up your mind. Get the Cobra. You will have to spend more than $6K on the Supra to get to that power level( turbo kit,fuel system,engine management,clutch/ built auto,FMIC,Exhaust,etc.,etc. Besides, the fewer who own Supras, the better. I like being different! :D

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
if there is any question in your mind or doubt about paying so much for a supra, dont get the supra. leave them for the true enthusiasts who wouldnt think twice about paying 25k+ for a 10 year old car with relatively high mileage.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I say that you keep the jeep as a daily driver, and wait until you save up more money to mod which ever car you go with. When you mod either of these cars you will have down time while modding and will most likely have down time when things break, no matter how old the car is. A 650rwhp car will break and wear parts no matter if it has 5K miles or 100K miles.

I also have a 00' cherokee 4x4, and I'm sure happy that I do because it allows me to mod and work on the supra without rushing so I can do it right.

Tony

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know exactly where you're coming from. And I think the best advice I've seen is to get the Cobra. You'll be happier you did. It's true. If you're not a die-hard Supra fan, it's hard to justify spending the money on a 10 year old car with high mileage as compared to a new car with low miles and a warranty that has similar potential. A true Supra fan will spend the money just to have a rare, almost exotic car like the Supra and not even think twice about the miles or year. The Mustang is simply that, a Mustang. You'll see 100 every day. (They all look the same to the untrained eye) I've seen three Supras in the past 5 years around my area. Is that worth it? To me, yes. You know a Supra when you see one!

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
HUH.....

nos2Supra said:

Hate flame here BUT, you have NEVER owned a car and already want 650 HP? WTF....
Supra 650 hp = statistic
Cobra 650hp = statistic
Take some time before you decide ! My advice, buy a more suitable car. Insurance+inexperience=$$$$$$ inexperience+650hp = accident waiting to happen.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
177 Posts
if you get a mustang dont get a new one. i like classic cars go with like an 67. as the supra, production stoped in 98 already a classic, enough said. just think about it like this when your on the streets in your new 03 cobra along with 13 other old wankers, and you see a supra, pure originality. when ur wise enough you'll no which to choose ;)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts