Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, heres the deal, I'm trying to find out what you all think....I am looking for either a 1995 Mazda RX7, manual, twin turbo(of course) or a 1995 Toyota Supra twin turbo...consider price, reliability, fun, mods, looks, and even insurance... Please let me know what you all think of my choices...my price range is between 15,000 and 22,000. PLEASE HELP

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Supra of course!

well first of all there both very nice cars! i think Rx-7's look very nice but there not really that dependable, i have a couple of friends with the 3rd generation and 2nd and they brake down to easily! once it hits like 80,000 miles then you have to start worrying! now me i have a Supra myself , don;t get me wrong i like RX-7's but i bought mine with 67k and i haven't had any trouble with it yet, and my car is now at 84k. Supras are very dependable , but are also pricey. bottem line is get a Supra if you can Afford it, you won't regret it! peace!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Supra definately! Rx-7's will break down on you every 4 days. or every day you really wanna take it out. go with a supra. the engine will go over 300k mi. and you will never be sorry. except when the damn headlights fog over. but you can fix that in a matter of minutes.

SupraWeapon

wherever you go, there you are!
but you get there a hell of a lot faster in a Supra!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Why people come on a board and ask these type of questions is BEYOND me...Of course you ask the Supra guys most will say Supra and when you ask the RX-7 guys most will say RX-7..what the heck is the point...read both boards and ask questions about the supra on the Supra board and ask questions about the RX-7 on the RX-7 board..this way there will be no flame wars about which car is the best...taking up valuable space...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
supraweapon i guess you got a point, but just wanted to see what the goods on each side are... for ex. the RX7's say the supra is heavy like a tank and doesn't handle well on turns etc. Do any of you all agree? You think i can find a reliable supra for 18,000(tiwn turbo)? Most 7's also say if the engine has been treated well then the rotary engine will last for a long time...

·
Highway Demon
2,869 Posts
here's how i see it the 7 has a good power to weight ratio and the engine can be made powerful very easily but the down side is that the engine is not reliable for shit compared to a supra.. yes the supra is heavy but it makes up for it in power and good suspension.. you have to weight out the disadvantages.. i know that every 7 eventually has to have the engine replaced and majority of them after 50k miles because the rotory seals burn out easily due to abusive driving.. so they have to be rebuilt or just plainly swaped for another 13b.. and if you have the cash to burn maybe even a 20b.. but think about it.. the reliability of that car isn't good.. and the up keep is a pain in the ass as well.. i hear the 7's go through oil like it's water.. personaly if you could afford it i'd get the supra in terms of the long term reliability if it wasn't for that i'd be driving a mazda right now..

Brian

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorry, but yall are making the rotary out to be a short-life motor. The truth is that the stock setup is crappy. There are things you can do to change that. You can make these engines bullitproof and handle high amounts of hp. You just have to have them TUNED right. Dont get me wrong, I'm not hating on supras. I believe you can get more power out of the rotary than you can the straight 6 with the same mod's. Just my .02.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so rotary can be good if it was treated correctly??So if i have 18,000-22,000 i should go with the 7 because 1. a good TT supra will be hard to find for thta price and 2. because the 7 is just as fun to drive??

·
Highway Demon
2,869 Posts
but think of all the hasel you have to go trhough.. i mean having to build it just to handle the same amount of power w/o running into problems that the supra wouldn't usually have.. and the other thing is that you'll need a engine management if you do enough tunning... i hear just bpu requires a ecu upgrade just so you wouldn't damage the engine and to make sure it runs right..

Brian

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when i had my 7 it was a blast to drive, i put over 200 miles on it on one sunny after noon around out town, it was alot, but hell i'd do again, just to bad i dont have my 7 anymore :sad:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i forgot to mention, have you tried LA motorcars in Dallas, he'll sell you a FD with a 3yr/36,000 mi. warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think th reason he asked on a supra forum would be to get the good points of a supra, and the bad points of an Rx-7. He would ask the same question and get the good points of rx-7and bad points or supra (if their is any..) on a RX-7 board!

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I own both so...

I have owned my 1993 RX7 for over a year. Drove it as hard as any sports car and it's been modified with intake, intercooler, DP, midpipe w/cat, exhaust, gauges etc. - stock boost. It'll hang with a C5 Corvette on the highway and is lighter\better handling than the Supra. NO ENGINE PROBLEMS. The motor had supposedly been replaced twice on it before I bought it because the first owner was a fool who kept turning the boost WAY up. RX7 do NOT like detonation and that's exactly what happened to the motor with that much boost. I on the other hand didn't screw with the boost and it run s GREAT. Unfortunatly the clutch was less happy about it and needs replacing.

Having said that - the car is for sale and a Supra is replacing it. The RX7 handles better IMO and it gets boost MUCH quicker (2K it has usable boost!). It also loves high RPM more than the Supra. But I wanted MORE power. There are NOT many people I would trust hopping up an RX7, certainly not some grease monkey. The Supra has an engine that is more forgiving. The car weighs more, costs more, but in the end I'm confident I can get the power I want out of it with less chance of blowing it up. I simply didn't wish to risk the RX7 - it's an awesome car that looks great, I didn't want to trash it.

If you take care of it, change the oil regularly, don't overheat it, and don't get stupid the RX7 is a fine car. The folks who say they blow up every 4days haven't owned one or are just parroting B.S. they heard from a friend of a friend. Sorry guys, it has to be taken care of like any other car :rolleyes: It'll cost less to buy, mine is selling for $17K OBO and it's far from stock. The Supra cost me a good $10K more (shrug). Insurance is less on the RX7 too for some reason but it sure "looks" like a faster car ;) The Supra would STOMP it though. Driving an RX7 is a different feeling, lot's of revs and when the second turbo comes on you really start moving on a modified car. It's almost an apples\oranges comparison - the Supra is bigger and more comfortable etc..

RX7

Supra

Weird, pics aren't showing up?! Used to work...

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
FRISBEE said:
if your taller than 5'8" the RX7 is not for you.
Really? I'm 6ft2 and while it's not as comfortable as some cars I've got room to move the seat further back if I want.Headroom isn't the issue here. Several of the folks who have test driven the car were also 6ft or better and were fine. What the RX7 doesn't have is a tilt wheel. On long trips I cannot move my knees under the steering wheel. You can put the cruise on and get some relief by moving your feet around. I have this same problem with a few cars including the Miata I used to have. THAT car could handle well too but it's power wasn't quite there. I wish they had put the rotary in that car with a turbo - talk about a marriage made in heaven! There are a few converted Miatas around like that but it was never off the showroom floor like that :( The Miata and RX7 are pretty much "pure" sports cars, the Supra seems to be a more muscle\touring kind of car. (shrug)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the help guys, i'm still debating on which one to get. I'm 6'3" and not sure which one i will be able to fit in more comforatbly. I read a review that said that the RX7 is very uncomfortable for those long trips. How's is the supra? Anyone tall that owns a supra?

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
LOL

Yeah, I own a Supra too :D For a long trip the RX7 isn't terribly comfortable - my woman hated it when we drove to Florida and back from VA. To be honest the Supra might not be super comfortable either but I think it'll be more comfortable than the RX7. In fact, I'm pretty sure of it. The Supra will also hold more luggage I think - it's "back seat" is bigger than the package tray the RX7 has. As I said before - the Supra is more the tourer than the RX7 which is more a pure sports car. The woman bitches about the Supra too but I think it's more comfortable of the two...

FWIW - when I bought the RX7 I had been looking for a Supra but they were too expensive for me at the time. I enjoyed my RX7 a great deal but the mechanic I had lined up to do work got out of the biz and I'm now able to afford a Supra. Heh, now I've got both until the RX7 sells. Kind of weird trading off between the two of them since the personalities are so different... Hope that helps - best thing to do would be to test drive one of each. I swear I've given joy\test rides to a dozen people and my neighbors must be hating me for it :rolleyes:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FRISBEE said:
if your taller than 5'8" the RX7 is not for you.
I'm 6'3" and fit in my FD with a sunroof just fine. The base or R models will even have another half inch of headroom.

Why do you have your selection limited to a 95?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts