Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ex-MKIV TT OWNER
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All:

I sold the Supra years ago due to continuing crank walk issues and I've been out of the performance vehicle seen for quite a while. After some real hard soul searching I decided to "live it up" and purchase what I conisder to be almost as equally rare as the supra TT... a 2001 Ford Lightning. She is bone stock with 29K miles on the clock.
It's tough to imagine a heavy ass truck being performance oriented (especially from the factory) but these damn things really GET UP AND GO!!! The top end is nothing special (for now) but out of the hole it boooks.
I've allready ordered some of the basic bolt on's that get these things to 400RWHP & 500 RWT :eek4dance

·
Registered
594 Posts
nice looking truck. i've always wanted a ford lightning. i only wish they had awd for 4wd drive for it. i couldn't see myself buying a truck that wouldn't be functional during shitty wheather. good luck with the truck

·
Acolyte of Dienekes
2,458 Posts
Very nice, I have owned 2 Lightnings, a '99 and an '01. So cheap and easy to mod. My '01 had a 4lb lower JL supercharger pulley (6lb lowers have shown to cause alot more heat for not much more hp over the 4lb), JDM chip custom burned for the pulley and our crappy CA 91 octane, k&n air filter and cut out the bottom of the airbox (dyno tests have shown no need to waste money on the expensive CAI kits), and ngk tr6 spark plugs (should run colder spark plugs than stock if you increase the boost, which you probably already know). People whith this done are usually right around 400rwhp 500rwtq.

Also added a tonneau cover whcih helped a little with mpg, definitely got worse mpg with the '01 than the '99 with the 3.73s. Very fun vehicles, enjoy it!

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
thanks for the to-scale pics - jesus.

·
Ex-MKIV TT OWNER
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hellspawn said:
Very nice, I have owned 2 Lightnings, a '99 and an '01. So cheap and easy to mod. My '01 had a 4lb lower JL supercharger pulley (6lb lowers have shown to cause alot more heat for not much more hp over the 4lb), JDM chip custom burned for the pulley and our crappy CA 91 octane, k&n air filter and cut out the bottom of the airbox (dyno tests have shown no need to waste money on the expensive CAI kits), and ngk tr6 spark plugs (should run colder spark plugs than stock if you increase the boost, which you probably already know). People whith this done are usually right around 400rwhp 500rwtq.

Also added a tonneau cover whcih helped a little with mpg, definitely got worse mpg with the '01 than the '99 with the 3.73s. Very fun vehicles, enjoy it!
Ya man, just add the FTVB (quicker shifts), JLP Traction Bars, and the Predator tunner to the above mods you listed and that is what I plan on running for a while. I'am only 25 minutes from JLP. I've heard those guys are amoung the best, if not the best in the country at tunning Lightnings. Can't wait to get the L properly tunned!

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
supra6spd said:
Ya man, just add the FTVB (quicker shifts), JLP Traction Bars, and the Predator tunner to the above mods you listed and that is what I plan on running for a while. I'am only 25 minutes from JLP. I've heard those guys are amoung the best, if not the best in the country at tunning Lightnings. Can't wait to get the L properly tunned!
Factory Tech.. awesome :bigthumb:

·
King of the Jungle
1,265 Posts
Beautiful, I love those trucks. The one in my sig was tons of fun, 375rwhp/475rwtq on Neeper 22's. Sounded like heaven!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts