Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I just kick myself for not just breaking down and getting a Supra instead of my 93 RX7 TT. I would not trade now but I see how you guys put $1500-$2000 of mods in your car and are running 12's immediately. With my car our engines are more finicky so we have to put a lot of money into the "engine" itself before we modify it or it goes "kaboom" I had to spend $10,000 (includes new street-ported engine) to get 11's and you guys spend 1/2 of that!!! You suck!!! The Supra TT has to be the easiest and most stable car to modifyand I just wanted to vent and commend you guys on owning such an awesome car.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If your first mod was a stand alone management system you wouldn't be blowing motors like i do farts after chili. Rx7 stock turbos with good tuning and standalone management will get u into the low 11's. Unfortunately everyone treats them like piston engines and starts modding things without taking care of the most important thing the ECU.
Originally posted by kwikrx7:
<STRONG>Sometimes I just kick myself for not just breaking down and getting a Supra instead of my 93 RX7 TT. I would not trade now but I see how you guys put $1500-$2000 of mods in your car and are running 12's immediately. With my car our engines are more finicky so we have to put a lot of money into the "engine" itself before we modify it or it goes "kaboom" I had to spend $10,000 (includes new street-ported engine) to get 11's and you guys spend 1/2 of that!!! You suck!!! The Supra TT has to be the easiest and most stable car to modifyand I just wanted to vent and commend you guys on owning such an awesome car.</STRONG>

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I do have a stand-alone computer and had to put in a new engine because of a coolant seal that cracked and let coolant into the combustion chamber - not good. But it seems that with a Supra you can put a dp, exhaust, and intake which is BPU?? (I think) and have like 380 - 400 rwhp. To get this out of an FD you have to "carefully" mod everything and keep tuning your ECU for every mod - PITA! But I love it and it keeps me busy. Wish it was as easy and stable as a MKIV though.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<STRONG>Actually I do have a stand-alone computer.... But I love it and it keeps me busy. Wish it was as easy and stable as a MKIV though.</STRONG>
kwikrx7: Do you ever go to South Mountain? It's right over the mountain from where I live.

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Hey - I'm in Harrisburg every once in awhile - that's close too.....

jay

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Philly Single:
<STRONG>Hey - I'm in Harrisburg every once in awhile - that's close too.....

jay</STRONG>
Jay: let me know when you are in Harrisburg some weekend if you are interested in checking out the local scene. I got the feeling that things will be heating up once the Fast & Furious is released, at least by what some of the v8 crowd is saying on the other forums... could be interesting.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Since some of you are in the area I just wanted to make sure you know about the meet at Cecil County, MD on July 7th. It's specifically for Supra's, RX-7's, 300Z's, and 3000 VR4's.

Jay, are you gonna be able to make it?

kwikrx7, do you go by a different name on the rx7club.com forum? If so maybe you are already signed up.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
sky, if you are close to Lancaster maybe we could meet up sometime too, let me know. I'm a friend of Jays.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Rviscosi:
<STRONG>sky, if you are close to Lancaster maybe we could meet up sometime too, let me know. I'm a friend of Jays.</STRONG>
Sounds good, and maybe the three of us can hook up at the same time.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think that I can make that meet on the 7th. I would love to get together with some of you MKIV guys sometime though. I live around Harrisburg so it would be cool to hook up. I do go by kwikrx7 on the rx7 forum also. Maybe we can run our cars from a roll so you can toast me ;) If any of you guys are in the Harrisburg area let me know here or over on the rx7 forum. Later

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wanted an RX7 before I drove the supra then everyone told me that they were not reliable and a big bitch to fix, so I got the MKIII instead. And now in search of another MKIII, I would get an MKIV but school bills are kicking my ass. :(

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
<STRONG>I don't think that I can make that meet on the 7th. I would love to get together with some of you MKIV guys sometime though. I live around Harrisburg so it would be cool to hook up. I do go by kwikrx7 on the rx7 forum also. Maybe we can run our cars from a roll so you can toast me ;) If any of you guys are in the Harrisburg area let me know here or over on the rx7 forum. Later</STRONG>
Maybe I could toast you from a stop too.
:p

But seriously I am always trying to meet other guys with cool cars, its too bad you can't make it on the 7th, a guy named Ed with a silver FD from Harrisburg is caravaning to Lancaster with a 300Z and a couple MKIV Supras and possibly up to 4 MK3 Supras. Then we are all heading down to Cecil County for the meet and maybe a barbecue before the drag racing starts. If you want to meet though another time it sounds like sky would be up for it too. Call me at (717)581-1000 ext. 287 between 8:00am and 5:00pm or email me at [email protected]

[ June 11, 2001: Message edited by: Rviscosi ]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally posted by [3L]:
<STRONG>If your first mod was a stand alone management system you wouldn't be blowing motors like i do farts after chili. Rx7 stock turbos with good tuning and standalone management will get u into the low 11's. Unfortunately everyone treats them like piston engines and starts modding things without taking care of the most important thing the ECU.
</STRONG>
The problem is how the ECU is programmed by the factory. Despite a lot of the opinions out there, the stock RX7 has plenty of injector(2x550cc's and 2x850cc's) and a fuel pump that can keep up with what the stock twins can put out under higher boost. The bad thing is that the stock ECU limits the injector duty cycle to 62%. This limits the hp of the stock system to just above what it comes with from the factory. It also means that many RX7s with just intake and exhaust mods go over that and run lean. The other problem is the 70+ vacuum lines under the intake where if one comes off, you blow the turbos.

With just an ECU reprogram the stock system will support about 300 rwhp. With an intake, ECU, downpipe, exhaust, BCC and intercooler you can get 300 rwhp out of an RX7. This combo reliably runs high 12's on street tires, but I have never heard of a stock twin car running 11's. This is something only Supras(BPU++) seem to do. Since it is about 25% lighter than than a Supra-TT, a Supra would need to have 370 rwhp to be equal to a 300 rwhp RX7(loaded weights).

If you really want to be happy with your RX7, bite the bullet and go single. This gets rid of all those pesky vacuum lines and will drop the weight another 50 lbs. A Supra costs a lot more than a RX7 to start with. For the price difference, you can justify a rebuild with 3mm Apex seals and a good street port. Once you look at single, definitely get a big radiator. Heat is the other thing that kills rotaries. They do OK with basic bolt-ons, but once the boost goes up a lot they will overheat. Both the XS Engineering T4S and Apexi IHI single turbo kits($3K-4K) have excellent response with about the same lag as the stock twins, but do 400+ rwhp at 15 psi. I recently saw a dyno of an XS kit car with an aggressive street port put out 460 rwhp at 16 psi. For the computer, you will need to go either Haltech or Power FC, but the cost is about the same as the VPC for the Supra. Plus you don't need a separate fuel or boost controller. Finally, the rest of the fuel is easy. You just get a big pump for the tank and a pair of 1200 cc injectors for the secondaries. The 850's move to the primaries and you have 500 hp capability worth of fuel.

The Supras big advantage is that it has enough fuel to support 500 hp from the factory. But, once you want to go above that to a single or big twins, it gets real expensive real quick.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<STRONG>Sometimes I just kick myself for not just breaking down and getting a Supra instead of my 93 RX7 TT. I would not trade now but I see how you guys put $1500-$2000 of mods in your car and are running 12's immediately. With my car our engines are more finicky so we have to put a lot of money into the "engine" itself before we modify it or it goes "kaboom" I had to spend $10,000 (includes new street-ported engine) to get 11's and you guys spend 1/2 of that!!! You suck!!! The Supra TT has to be the easiest and most stable car to modifyand I just wanted to vent and commend you guys on owning such an awesome car.</STRONG>
Thats exactly why I like them. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts