Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
I have noticed that alot of people on this forum own a supra and also an m3 (e46), and I was wondering how you find the 2 of them. I know the supra can have alot more power but Im just debating on which car would be better for me. I would mainly use it more on the weekends and not as a daily driver. I want to road race the car at the track and just have a fun fun toy with a back seat. I'm am leaning more towards the supra but after checking out the m3 forums it seems like an amazing car as well. I just wanted some feedback from people that have driven and/or owned both.

Thanks for any input.

·
Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
4,584 Posts
E46
Pro:
much more creature comforts than the Supra
much more comfortable ride
Strong N/A engine
Gets bitches! some nice wheels and few other exterior mods and you will have to get out the pimp stick.

Cons:
$$ vs power is wack. the car is not very mod friendly compared to the Supra
Normal OEM parts are expensive
Vanos and SMG problems after 100k are common

MKIV:
Pro:
Power, power, poooowwweeerrrrrrr
Styling that still looks great to this day

Con:
useless back seat
Friendly to mods, which means you will spend lots of $$$ on it
you become paranoid parking it somewhere you can't see it.
Normal girls hates the car, they dont care about power, just that it is a Toyota.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The supra is more a car for somebody looking to modify/customize their car after purchase (eg dump money into the car after they buy it)

From the sound of it that isn't what you are looking for. There are many BMW clubs that organize track events and driver training. Besides the E46 M3, I would also recommend the E90 330i coupe (with the turbocharged N54 or N55 engines) a friend of mine just bought one and took it to a BMW track event and had a blast.

·
serbian by blood!!!
1,675 Posts
E46
Pro:
Strong N/A engine
Gets bitches! some nice wheels and few other exterior mods and you will have to get out the pimp stick.

Cons:

MKIV:
Pro:

Con:
useless back seat
Normal girls hates the car, they dont care about power, just that it is a Toyota.
Thats my biggest issue.. Also M3s are everywhere, drive 5min I bet you'll see 2-3 probably same silver color.. Parts and maintenance much more expensive on the BMW

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm well probaly going to spend 25-30 ish. I currently own a 69 mustang that I built so I do like tinkering. I want a car that holds it value ( advantage supra) I already have a wife so the getting girls thing she won't like. She defiantly likes the BMW better but my mustang already has 400 horse so I defiantly don't want to go down in power. One of the reasons I like my 69 is that you don't see them! I hate having a car that everyone else has. (advantage supra). I'm defiantly into dumping money into it to customize it ( well not for a little while).

So I guess I'm already answering my own questions lol advantage... Supra

·
Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
4,584 Posts
there you go

·
Registered
532 Posts
E46
Pro:
Strong N/A engine

Cons:

MKIV:
Pro:

Con:
useless back seat
Well put. I currently own both cars and this pretty much sums it up.

·
The Great Kruso
3,875 Posts
I hate to say it but...
Supra = Dick magnet.
BMW = More of a chick magnet then a Supra.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The e46 is newer, costs less, will get more positive attention, and women will like it more.
Really depends on where you live.

Honestly, where I live, I see about 3-4 e46 m3's a day and a multitude of other e46 3 series BMW's. They don't get much attention around here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm from a smaller town in Canada and we actually don't have a BMW dealership but a few bimmers. Only 2 m3 s I've seen and maybe 2 Supras. So anyone of them is good for attention. My 69 already gets too much!

·
Registered
839 Posts
toyota parts are pretty expensive too not to mention picking up a 14+yr old car will require alot of cleaning/fixing up regardless of "mint condition" claimed by the seller not to mention getting financed. The m3 is german which you should never really own a german car with out an extended warranty as the dumbest of parts are 1k$ and will fail. The supra will definately be more reliable in the end, but the m3 is probably more of what your looking for and up for track duty right out of the box.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Really depends on where you live.

Honestly, where I live, I see about 3-4 e46 m3's a day and a multitude of other e46 3 series BMW's. They don't get much attention around here.
Think of it like this:

Pick up a girl on a date, and she'll be happier to climb into an M3 than a Supra
Pick up a guy on a date, and he'll be happier to climb into a Supra than an M3

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Subframe issues, VANOS issues, rod bearing issues, SMG issues+ plus normal european aging/electronics=whaaaaaaaa
I found this on a M3 forum

"new motor (BMW was giving a better price of $7000 for a brand new motor at first before completely covering) $9000 including install

coils $800 including install

subframe (average repair is $5000) so $5000.

vanos replacement avg... $3000

$18000 to fix a car that costs $60,000 and comes with these defects.
And what do they say to people that have these problems... you drove the car too hard."

Thats enough to scare me away.

Besides....Ive owned 4 Toyota's already and they have been absolutely amazing!!!

My Tundra has 315 000 on it and it is still great!!

Supra it is!

I want to thank everyone who posted...Most Forums flame other cars but you were all pretty honest and just didn't hype up the Supra!!! Thanks for that.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Think of it like this:

Pick up a girl on a date, and she'll be happier to climb into an M3 than a Supra
Pick up a guy on a date, and he'll be happier to climb into a Supra than an M3
Too true.. Whenever my girlfriends wants me to take her somewhere she insists I bring the BMW (and not a M3.. just an 04 330XI fully loaded with nav) she doesn't really like the supra.. She is honestly scared by it..lol

And when any of my male friends invite me out when the weather is nice they insist that I bring the supra..

But to be perfectly honest in a city like Calgary I get a lot more attention from everyone in the Supra vs the bmw (both women and men)

1 - 20 of 89 Posts