Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard a crazy yarn over hear about a gto actually doing quite well over in the US, drag wise

for a stock car does anyone know how it compares to stock supra's down the line

i know the monaro over here doesn't have a hope in hell compared to a supra

i pump out 315rwhp ( standard is 220rwhp ) from an unopened monaro ( pontiac gto ) and still get my hole done by my bro's 97rz

·
Abu Dhabi Speed
146 Posts
dont worry

this car is out in our market since 2000, no way it can beat a supra unless there was something under the hood....... i drive a BPU auto supra and i only race tuned GTO"S ( they came under lumina SS name to our market) and they still dont have any chance and i never been kicked by one of them until now

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
The new 2004 Pontiac GTO isn't even at dealers yet. Nobody is racing any. You have either heard hearsay, or are making reference to the original 1964-1974 GTOs.

Considering the new GTO runs the LS1 engine, they are VERY formidable foes to the Supra. Only a few bolt-ons will get LS1 cars flying...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if the new GTO is as light or any lighter than the last f-bodys it would be safe to say they should be able to put up a damn good fight with a supra and most likely beat most of the stock 6 speeds..

again im not exactly sure right now with what packages GM is putting on the ls1/trans thats going in the GTO

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
Fyrarms,

They are in Austraila. Those cars are called the "Manaro" or
"Lumina SS" over there. They have been the market since mid 90's in the "down under territory."

Its the same car as the new US GTO, however it has been under the manufacturer of Holden( GM's Austraila division).

My company builds the synchro's(T-56) for those corvette powered, 6spd sedans and coupes.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
I am very familiar with the Monaro/GTO. I posted a thread early this year in reference to it. Cheap-ass Pontiac only changed the emblems and nose externally-wise. The damned Monaro front nose will bolt right on! :lol:

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
Oh, my bad.

I did see a Lumina SS in Daytona last May. You could tell it had V8 in it and it didn't appear to be anything that is sold here in the US.

Plus, the license plates weren't even from any state in the US or Canada.

That obviously secured the deal of being a Holden product.

DP

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the new series monaro has only been around since late 2001.

they go alright with a few bolt on's

i think the dude that was saying it to me was talking outa his ass

i've got shitloads more power than the current GTO out and i still can't whoop a supra.

Suprafied - its m-O-n-a-r-o, not manaro

the lumina ss is a 4 door version without the luxury over here and its called a commodore ss

·
Registered
117 Posts
There is no way the new GTO will beat a TT Supra. Not even a stock TT. 0-60 in 5.3? That's only 1/10 ahead of the S2000 & the WRX. 1/4 in 13.62 driven by the somewhat seasoned Motor Trend drivers. There is a 16 year old that just went 13.4 his first time to the track, with a mind numbing 2.2 60' time in another post.

For some reason, other then the Vette, GM can not make a light car. The GTO weighs a little over 3700lbs. Same as the SSR roadster, it had the potential to be pretty cool but with a curb weight over two tons, it will be some old man's boulevard cruiser & not the "roadster" that it was touted as.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hehe i've raced plenty of the ls1's here in australia.. and so far i'm unbeaten.... they're called commodores/hsv's etc here..

I'm not talking stock cars either i'm talking heavily modified/tuned cars and me in my lil 1/2 bpu car :p

ahh i'm a cocky bastard

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what is bpu ???

i seen it thrown around but am like ni^@a what?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Basic Performance Upgrades.
www.mkiv.com nicely explains what is BPU & what is APU (Advanced Performance Upgrades)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts