1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Damn... looks like an Axel ssnapped.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Kinda sounded like he might have shifted from 3rd to 2nd the way it revved up like that. I could be wrong though. Regardless of what happened it sucks that it happened.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Id like to know the cause. Maybe the owner will chime in. Sorry to hear though I wonder if he can claim it on insurance?

·
Boost Junkie
12,486 Posts
Guys, it says on the thread that he got out of the groove and got back on the throttle, lost traction and that is that. It also does look like he is running a bias ply slick out back and a regular radial up front, which is a no-no.

Steve K.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Maybe could have recovered had he been driving on appropriate tires. Unfortunate.

My biggest fear bringing my car to the track is having a mechanical failure which would send my car into a wall. I heard if an axle or the diff breaks, this exact thing happens.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
Kinda sounded like he might have shifted from 3rd to 2nd the way it revved up like that. I could be wrong though. Regardless of what happened it sucks that it happened.
I had to rewatch it, but it does sound like it.. who knows either way glad the drive was fine after the wreck.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I had to rewatch it, but it does sound like it.. who knows either way glad the drive was fine after the wreck.
Haven't yet seen the video since I'm at work, but breaking traction is going to make it rev really fast too, I thought my clutch was slipping in my sc300 until I put some decent drag radials underneath it, before it broke traction so hard and clean you would've thought I pressed the clutch in.

·
Sleeper King
2,235 Posts
Mike, maybe he had his foot on the gas still and pushed the clutch in the second it started getting sideways. Agreed though, glad he is ok.

·
Boost Junkie
12,486 Posts
Maybe could have recovered had he been driving on appropriate tires. Unfortunate.

My biggest fear bringing my car to the track is having a mechanical failure which would send my car into a wall. I heard if an axle or the diff breaks, this exact thing happens.
That only happens with the Torsen Diff. A broken axle won't send you into the wall unless you are using a spool. If you break the TRD it also won't send you into the wall.

Steve

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Guys, it says on the thread that he got out of the groove and got back on the throttle, lost traction and that is that. It also does look like he is running a bias ply slick out back and a regular radial up front, which is a no-no.

Steve K.
Why is that a NO NO?

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
He was running a 325/50/15 Hoosier drag radial. Talked to the driver and he is doing well with a severe whip lash. It was a bit fuzzy and happened very fast. He hinted that he may have Been Out of the "groove" bit could not confirm with 100% certainty. Glad he is ok and look forward to him getting back out there soon.

Lawrence

·
Boost Junkie
12,486 Posts
Isnt the factory TT diff a torsen?
Yes, that is why it is a good idea to replace it with the TRD unit that is a clutch design.

Steve

1 - 20 of 41 Posts