Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the cars for sale on the suprastore.com site and noticed this white original TRD Widebody with 3037s turbos. I remembered that I saw one on ebay about 3-4 months ago that looked just like it with the TRD Widebody and the 3037 turbos. I actually saved the ebay add and I am 99.9% sure this is the same car.
The only difference is the ebay buy it now price is $52,000 and Suprastore is asking $93,000 for it. I think that car could be built from scratch for less than that anyway.
When I first got into Supras I thought they were a good place to deal with but now that I have dealt with a few others I see that they are way overpriced.
Let me know what you guys think, here are the pictures
Suprastore.com

·
I CAN HAS WELFARE
3,413 Posts
Hmm

·
Registered
857 Posts
It's nice that you're looking out, but I don't think anyone here really cares much since they have no intention of buying any of those cars listed on Suprastore.com.

Besides, a car is worth only what another person will pay for it - if someone buys it for their asking price, that's great. I doubt that would happen though, so again ... who cares?

-Brian.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I guess you are right.
I just love that car.
I would still like to know how to put those pictures up, I have tried every way possible that I know of.
Brian, what part of Jersey are yo from?

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
Direct linking from Supraforums has been disabled. Too many people were attaching pictures, then copy/pasting the attachments addy, then linking in and/or using it as a link for a sig picture.

Simply make an account with a picture hosting site, save the picture, upload it, then link it. :)

Craig

·
Registered
182 Posts
I bought the QuickSilver they had on Suprastore. Problem after problem. Now it looks like my first turbo fried. This car has issues. In hindsight, I wouldnt have bought this car knowing what I know now.

·
Video Hoster
162 Posts
Yes and the guy u bought it from helped u out with great detail. I seem to remember on ever issue ud create a bigger issue on those forums. SurfNut? Like the AC issue, real simple, yet u made such a big fuss, instead of taking it to a garage like everyone esle would. its called INITIATIVE.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Supras_0wn_J00

Yes the guy i bought it from was extremely helpful. I never said he wasnt. However the simple fact remains that alot of work has had to be done on this car.

Example:
Car made a weird groaning noise when RPM's hit around 2200. Guy said it was something, forget exactly what. Well, turns out the stock BOV was stuck wide open. Easy fix yes. But, why did someone with his knowledge of supras miss something so glaringly wrong?
I have no beef with the guy I purchased the car from. I simply stated the car was fuked and I wasnt happy about the transaction in the long run.

I love the car I just wish it would get it's fuking act together. Fixing something new every other week.

One last thing for Supras_0wn_J00, when it's 115 outside and you have no Air Conditioning, IT"S A BIG FUKING DEAL.

·
Video Hoster
162 Posts
U cant so effectivly judge whats wrong with a car untill its before ur eyes. And its Guilly, not GUY. Im sure he wouldnt have sold the car to you without checking things, the owner of his old red tt one has no such alarms. TBH, if u arent so proficient to look after a Supra, then you shouldnt own one...

No offense(s) meant.

J

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
so what you mean is you get what you pay for?

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Carl, a BPU Supra with a "stuck open" BOV won't hold 17+ PSI of boost to redline. It also won't "groan" it would just blow air out the BOV and would sound more like a swoosh or "whistling" sound than a groan. Some Supras do make a "groaning sound" that is usually associated with the charcoal cannister. I think whoever you are having taking a look at the car is not very knowledgeable about Supras, find another good shop. Also first turbos hardly EVER die, it's usually the 2nd one that does.

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having. Good luck with it. I didn't have a single problem with that car while I owned it.

Michael, that TRD widebody car has over 120K (including the car) invested in it. Here's a short list of the items (there's a lot more in it than this list!) Most prices I'm quoting are towards the low end of the going rate)

1997 Supra ($40,000)
HKS 3037 kit ($12,000, they don't come as a whole kit and you must fab downpipes, etc.)
Full Fuel system ($3000)
Fropnt mount IC ($1500)
Upgraded clutch, not sure which ($700)
TRD Widebody kit ($8000)
Veilside Intake ($2800)
19" HRE's with Pilot Sports ($7000, amazingly expensive wheels!)
Recaros ($3,000 these leather eleltric seats are amazing and pricey)
Cams ($1,000)
TRD LSD ($1,000 not 100% sure on this price)
Top of the line HKS Coilovers ($1500)
2 sets of HID headlights, headlights and fog lights ($700)
European Glass Headlights ($500, not sure on this price)
Strut tower brace ($150)
GPS system, stereo ($2,000)
Proffesional instal and paint for body kit ($10,000+) local top of the line shop quoted me $15K to do the same kit, not including the kit)
Built engine and install ($13K+, Titan built motors with no install are about that much not installed)
3M paint protector ($500)
HKS Titanium exhaust ($1000)
Blitz Boost controller ($400)
BOV ($300)
Gauges ($500, the only things that are not top of the line on the car)
TRD Airbag equppied Steering wheel ($650)
Custom widened C-West Wing ($2,000, this is the standard price not including shipping from Japan)
15" Brembos ($3,000+)
TRD 8,000 RPM tach ($300)
There's much more that I'm forgetting but you get the picture.

I'm not sure what this all adds up to (didn't add it up myself), but I'm sure it's over 100K and I don't have everything listed in there such as install prices on everything other than the body kit and engine itself).

Surf said:
Supras_0wn_J00

Yes the guy i bought it from was extremely helpful. I never said he wasnt. However the simple fact remains that alot of work has had to be done on this car.

Example:
Car made a weird groaning noise when RPM's hit around 2200. Guy said it was something, forget exactly what. Well, turns out the stock BOV was stuck wide open. Easy fix yes. But, why did someone with his knowledge of supras miss something so glaringly wrong?
I have no beef with the guy I purchased the car from. I simply stated the car was fuked and I wasnt happy about the transaction in the long run.

I love the car I just wish it would get it's fuking act together. Fixing something new every other week.

One last thing for Supras_0wn_J00, when it's 115 outside and you have no Air Conditioning, IT"S A BIG FUKING DEAL.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I get your point,that car must have been very expensive to build. I figured in my head (very quickly) that it was probably around $80,000 to build it, guess I was wrong.
My point was that I think the Suprastore bought it for $52,000 and is now trying to sell it for $93,000.
I realize it will probably cost over $110,000 to build it but how much is the car really worth? Would anyone really pay $93,000 for a 97 supra?
I could see paying $65,000 or even $70,000 but $93,000 I don't see how it could actually sell for that much. You will never get every penny you invest into the car.
But then again there are people out there that have that kind of money to throw around.
I guess I just wish I was one of those people.
That car is done mostly the way I would want to build mine, it is pretty much my dream car.
Does anyone else see the similarities in the 2 cars????

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Ryan Woon has been offered $80K for his Quicksilver Supra. Ryan's 9 second Supra is a BADASS car and to the right people WELL worth $80K and it has far less $$$$ into it than that TRD car. In my opinion it won't be long till someone offers to buy the car for $85K to $90K basically due to the fact that if you really wanted to build a car like that you would have to spend much more than that and it would take a long time to do a project like that.

As far as how much they bought the car, remember that evryone wants to buy low and sell high. Several people on this forum have done that including myself.

BTW I was telling him (Mark "KING" Tozer) that he should have put the car in the website for more than that.

michaelrc51 said:
Yeah, I get your point,that car must have been very expensive to build. I figured in my head (very quickly) that it was probably around $80,000 to build it, guess I was wrong.
My point was that I think the Suprastore bought it for $52,000 and is now trying to sell it for $93,000.
I realize it will probably cost over $110,000 to build it but how much is the car really worth? Would anyone really pay $93,000 for a 97 supra?
I could see paying $65,000 or even $70,000 but $93,000 I don't see how it could actually sell for that much. You will never get every penny you invest into the car.
But then again there are people out there that have that kind of money to throw around.
I guess I just wish I was one of those people.
That car is done mostly the way I would want to build mine, it is pretty much my dream car.
Does anyone else see the similarities in the 2 cars????

·
Registered
182 Posts
I refered to Guilly as the guy so as not to add a name to this complaint. I'm new to this whole turbo thing. I know it and Guilly knows it. I can only diagnose what I know and what I know is slowly but surely increasing in scale. And J, no offense taken but if I were to put your statement into context with other everyday items such as cars it comes out sounding rather silly. Your saying that if you dont know how to care for an item and maintain it you dont deserve to own or operate said item. Try plugging this into a sentence about other everyday items and I think you'll find very few people in your eyes deserve the toys and everyday tools of modern life.

Guilly, I removed the stock BOV myself. I used a length of large fuel line to completely ommit the stock BOV. I placed a large round headed nut into the hose to block off air flow. It works quite well. With the removal of the BOV that annoying groan went away completely. In regards to the first turbo dying it seems as tho we've tracked the problem to the tranny. Car goes in tomorrow for a chemical flush and refill of the tranny and rear differential. hoping this helps.

I truly believe Guilly was unaware of the bulk of the items I have had problems with. I stated before that I dont have a problem with Guilly, I have problems with the car. J next time ya post a reply try to be a little less antagonizing.

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Carl, did you try adjusting the BOV? I am surprised the "groaning" sound was related to the BOV. I tested the BOV to see if it was leaking once when the car stalled on me when decelarating (usually a good indication that the BOV is leaking or set too "lose" in a MAF equipped car) and there was no leaking. Check the adjustment bolt on top of the BOV, it may need to be tightened. Glad you found the BOV issue.

What were the symptoms of the trans? How many miles does the car have now. I think I remember it having 69K when I sold it to you right? Just wondering why the trans may be having problems as it seems odd. Word of caution, replacing old tranny fluid with new tranny fluid in "older" cars can be risky if the fluid was not replaced regularly as the new fluid's chemicals (cleaning agents) can attack the "older" tranny components. I learned this the hard way.

Surf said:
I refered to Guilly as the guy so as not to add a name to this complaint. I'm new to this whole turbo thing. I know it and Guilly knows it. I can only diagnose what I know and what I know is slowly but surely increasing in scale. And J, no offense taken but if I were to put your statement into context with other everyday items such as cars it comes out sounding rather silly. Your saying that if you dont know how to care for an item and maintain it you dont deserve to own or operate said item. Try plugging this into a sentence about other everyday items and I think you'll find very few people in your eyes deserve the toys and everyday tools of modern life.

Guilly, I removed the stock BOV myself. I used a length of large fuel line to completely ommit the stock BOV. I placed a large round headed nut into the hose to block off air flow. It works quite well. With the removal of the BOV that annoying groan went away completely. In regards to the first turbo dying it seems as tho we've tracked the problem to the tranny. Car goes in tomorrow for a chemical flush and refill of the tranny and rear differential. hoping this helps.

I truly believe Guilly was unaware of the bulk of the items I have had problems with. I stated before that I dont have a problem with Guilly, I have problems with the car. J next time ya post a reply try to be a little less antagonizing.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts