Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
"DANNY TANNER!!!"
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since the search isn't working for me i have to create another post that has probably been answered 3458972345 times.

My buddy followed behind my car and noticed i blow blue smoke on WOT and on decel. Idle i'm fine, normal driving it's fine, only until i really boost it is when blue smoke appears. I know that i'm burning oil because every oil change less oil comes out then what i previously put in.

Anyways, how do i check for blown turbo seals?? oil in the intercooler pipes?? infamous waterfall sound?? also is it ok to drive with blown turbo seals? and if not, is it ok if i don't boost at all?

Derek

·
Registered
934 Posts
derK said:
since the search isn't working for me i have to create another post that has probably been answered 3458972345 times.

My buddy followed behind my car and noticed i blow blue smoke on WOT and on decel. Idle i'm fine, normal driving it's fine, only until i really boost it is when blue smoke appears. I know that i'm burning oil because every oil change less oil comes out then what i previously put in.

Anyways, how do i check for blown turbo seals?? oil in the intercooler pipes?? infamous waterfall sound?? also is it ok to drive with blown turbo seals? and if not, is it ok if i don't boost at all?

Derek

Eactly what you said. Smoke on Decel and Accel. Oil in Pipes etc. Oil burning smell. Remove the exhaust elbow to see if its leaking oil there (then its really blown). Oil in the mouth/intake side of the turbo.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
If turbo seals are shot, they shoudl do the exact OPPOSITE. Anytime I blew a turbo, it would smoke like CRAZY at idle, but not at all when accelerating.

One sure fire way to find out though....and this has never failed me....

Let the car completely cool off and take the intake off the turbo. Grab the wheel and try to push it forwards and backwards, not side to side. In other words try to push it towards the firewall and then pull towards the radiator. If there is ANY movement there, you need a rebuild. There should never be any movement there.

Side to side is hard to tell. Since the turbo is on a floating bearing, it will get tighter as it fills with oil so after you let it cool, the side to side movement will be at its worst. You shouldn't be able to make the wheel touch the sides of the turbo though.

·
Verrrry nice!
302 Posts
Trent said:
If turbo seals are shot, they shoudl do the exact OPPOSITE. Anytime I blew a turbo, it would smoke like CRAZY at idle, but not at all when accelerating.

Let the car completely cool off and take the intake off the turbo. Grab the wheel and try to push it forwards and backwards, not side to side. In other words try to push it towards the firewall and then pull towards the radiator. If there is ANY movement there, you need a rebuild. There should never be any movement there.

Side to side is hard to tell. Since the turbo is on a floating bearing, it will get tighter as it fills with oil so after you let it cool, the side to side movement will be at its worst. You shouldn't be able to make the wheel touch the sides of the turbo though.
I agree with trent, replacing mine now, smokes like hell at idle, yours sounds more like rings/guides.

·
Search
3,305 Posts
This thread has good answers, it should be put in the faq cuz I just tried to look for this information and could not find it.

·
Stormcock approves
1,859 Posts
You'll know it's blown when you can only make 2psi, hear a strange whirrrrring noise and then SHOOT smoke out your exhaust. That and the light scraping of the wheel touching the housing. You should have seen my downpipe lol. It took me 3 days of driving to burn all that off.

·
Project:: Reaper
1,401 Posts
my CT is blown right now. car has been down for 2 1/2 months cause of it. It doesn't smoke at idle, but smokes on decel. like when i come up to a light a big cloud of blue smoke blows past my car. i checked the side to side it was a little worse than normal no in and out though. so i drove it one day heard a LOUD noise like a supercharger. (1st blown CT did the same thing but didn't smoke) then i got home checked shaft play same thing.

then i went to start it and it sounded like someone poured a cup of sand into my turbo. the loudest grinding noise i've ever heard. my friend and i were like GOOD GOD!!! Soi took off the intake again to check the shaft play and the compressor housing is all scuffed to hell and the fins are bent and chipped. one fin is bent to the point where it was a bout to break. so the other turbo isn't no where near as bad and im saving for a 1J now so i'm gonna just send in the better turbo to PT and have a 57 trim done.

·
Registered
375 Posts
wat about if mine smokes after like 30 secs on idle....and on acceleration and deceleration. no oil in elbow...but oil in the accordian (pvc). idk just rebuilt too by pt about 6months ago. not even boosting 9psi

·
Supras are never 'done'
1989 Toyota Supra
601 Posts
808mkiiisupra said:
wat about if mine smokes after like 30 secs on idle....and on acceleration and deceleration. no oil in elbow...but oil in the accordian (pvc). idk just rebuilt too by pt about 6months ago. not even boosting 9psi
Sounds like blowby (piston rings)

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
Trent said:

Sticky! Faq! I dont know, but something!

We should make a giant thread/faq on how to tell if ____ is blown, out, broken, faulty... Ive been contemplating that for awile. It could be the faq to end them all and prove to be a great resource.

·
Registered
375 Posts
mobes said:
Sounds like blowby (piston rings)

ok i hope your right because you made me build a new motor...haha nah jk i wanted to anyway if it was blowby

·
Registered
205 Posts
what happens if you have tons of oil in the IC pipes...especially on the hot end just after the turbo it pours out...and a friend said they see blue smoke at WOT...see it sometimes at idle...cant tell from rear view mirror

edit: also when i boost, my oil pressure drops a lil bit and raises up a tad when i let go of the throtte

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
supragino said:
what happens if you have tons of oil in the IC pipes...especially on the hot end just after the turbo it pours out...and a friend said they see blue smoke at WOT...see it sometimes at idle...cant tell from rear view mirror

edit: also when i boost, my oil pressure drops a lil bit and raises up a tad when i let go of the throtte
Oil in the pipes is the stupid factory PCV problem. If you don't want to permanently solve the problem, take off your pipes and IC and soak them in gasoline. Yes gas. Rinse them out good and put them back on.

Search for Catch can or PCV and you can find a bunch of threads on bypassing that system so it doesn't fill your IC pipes up with crap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts