Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Buy Wholesale
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

if you read my thread beforehand, i thought i had blown my front main crank seal - no biggie i thought

well today i go to the dealership, and it turns out that its not actually my front main seal thats spewing oil, its a pressure release valve on the oil pump assembly!!!

the previous owner of my car told me that the motor was in good working order and nothing needed replacing, so you can imagine my surprise when after driving the car for a mere 5000 miles of ownership, my oilpump takes a crap

they basically told me that they could either replace the valve itself, or do the whole oil pump assembly - to me, replacing the valve would only be a half assed job, as the rest of the oil pump might be in bad shape, so i told them to replace the whole oil pump assembly - a 310 dollar part

also, upon teardown of the front of the motor, they informed me that the main crank pulley took little to no effort to remove from the vehicle, and could have easily come off in a short period of time - another surprise i certainly didn't expect

not to mention a series of welds that had been done on the block of the motor itself

either way - the total repair cost of this mishap will be 1100 dollars before taxes which is about 1265 after tax

because as some of you may know, i need to replace my work car, and am currently saving diligently to do so, all of my money was going towards that thus limiting the amount of money i have to spend - i had budgeted enough money for car insurance until the end of september, and this more than empties out that account - so i thought to myself atleast i can enjoy the car for the remainder of july

unfortunately for me again, this oil pump assembly is a special order part, and will take 10 business days to arrive from either the states or japan

today being the 12th, the soonest i will have my car back is the 26th of july at the very earliest, leaving me a total of 5 days to enjoy the supra for the rest of the summer

the moral of the story is that no matter how much you trust the quality of work someone can do, always always ALWAYS be careful when buying a used supra, not matter how much you believe it is the supra of your dreams - live and learn i guess

althought 1300 dollars later, my car will be up and running again, this is neither something that i expected to happen, nor is it something that should have been allowed to happen, and its just another thing to sour my experience with supras - as some of you know my previous MKIV was stolen only a few months after i bought it

anyways guys - thats my rant - hope you guys have a better luck with your cars than i seem to have with mine :sadwavey: :sadwavey:

·
Crazy Member
281 Posts
That really sucks dude!!!

Try to get someone else to do the work or do it yourself... might save yourself some money compared to the stealership.

Welds to the block? what the hell welding is done to your block?

Ciao,

·
Buy Wholesale
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SupraLizard said:
That really sucks dude!!!

Try to get someone else to do the work or do it yourself... might save yourself some money compared to the stealership.

Welds to the block? what the hell welding is done to your block?

Ciao,

honestly - you'll have to see it to know what i mean - it looks like the parts where the pumps and stuff attach to the block or something - you can only see if from under the car

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
its a lot of labour because the pan has to come out. Its a tough job to do in the garage, but not impossible.

Either way thats what happens when you get an old sports car that you cant fix yourself. 1300 is pocket change compared to what some people spend at the dealer. New parts + top pay for labour, what do you expect.

HAHA are you saying they welded the pan so that it wouldnt leak?

·
Buy Wholesale
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SuprAng said:
its a lot of labour because the pan has to come out. Its a tough job to do in the garage, but not impossible.

Either way thats what happens when you get an old sports car that you cant fix yourself. 1300 is pocket change compared to what some people spend at the dealer. New parts + top pay for labour, what do you expect.

HAHA are you saying they welded the pan so that it wouldnt leak?
the car wont be fixed for a while - its being worked on by a real nice guy that has a supra in the TSC - hes doing it right

the welds are from the previous owner that owned the car before me

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've spent a shit load of money on a complete rebuild because I wanted it done the right way.
I spent about $800 on two power steering pumps and a rack and pinion and the damn p/s still doesn't work. Am I rich? Hell no, I'm broke ass, but I got my supra :)

Since you aren't planning on driving it after July, then I wouldn't bother fixing it

·
Registered
112 Posts
Man that sucks - However, Suprafanatic should have those parts in stock on the shelf, and can do the work - most likely better than the dealership. You should call Phil @ Adrenaline - I'm sure he'll have the parts you need - was just up there as he's installing a new water pump for me, and he has a ton of Supra parts...

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Didn't you get that car from Phil?

I am pretty sure I remember him driving a jade green MK4 to a few of the monthly meets a year or so ago...

·
Buy Wholesale
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kevin Hoare said:
Have you spoken to Phil about this?
unfortunately, i dont want to have to drag my car back and forth from markham to waterloo anymore, as it puts unnecessary mileage on my car, and in the current condition, i would have no ride home anyways

i dont want any more used parts going into my car to replace worn out parts that shouldn't have worn out in the first place

·
Registered
481 Posts
Taris,
You should have contacted me about this issue and it would have been taken care of. There is seldom a warranty on a used car, but I said that I would take care of any issues within reason for much longer than a warranty would cover, and more comprehensively as well. I'm sorry that you've run in to this problem, but when it comes to used cars, you have to remember - it's not a new car. Parts only get replaced when they are broken or showing signs of deterioration - until then, one can only assume that it is working correctly, until it doesn't. After a year of use, one cannot predict the functionality of any component in a car.
There have been issues with the 2JZ oil pumps for years, even the new ones, with debate over the pressure relief valve not being large enough to be effective, and seals blowing out of them regularly. There are ways to correct these problems, but only when they manifest themselves.
The welds on the block were to repair the casting tabs that mount the alternator, and commonly get broken in event of a collision. The trick is knowing the correct way to weld cast, and it must be done by preheating the cast and using nickel rod to make the repair, and then controlling the cool down period with insulation to ensure a strong repair without cracking - it is as strong as new, so don't get excited about that. There are no holes in the block or the block would have been tossed out. We can't replace every part of a Supra with new parts or the price would be close to what is was when new. :1poke:
I'm sure Orville will take care of things there - he is quite a competent mechanic and has worked with the 7M extensively. In future, let me know if you have issues and you won't have to deal with exhorbitant repair bills. :rolleyes:
We'll be watching here for updates.

·
Eleventeen
297 Posts
Elmhurst isn't stocking the part? Did you check with Curt? Good luck on the fix..the car looked good at Kennedy Commons the other day!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Her Taris me junior here with the fd. Hope your car gets out I forgot to mention that my uncle is a fourman at Toyota in Ottawa and i could have gotten the part for you. Next time, but I gotta make an appointment with you to get my car detailed it's looking dirty.

Also tomorrow were heading down to shannonville let me know if your interested in joining.

·
Buy Wholesale
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
suprafanatic said:
Taris,
You should have contacted me about this issue and it would have been taken care of. There is seldom a warranty on a used car, but I said that I would take care of any issues within reason for much longer than a warranty would cover, and more comprehensively as well. I'm sorry that you've run in to this problem, but when it comes to used cars, you have to remember - it's not a new car. Parts only get replaced when they are broken or showing signs of deterioration - until then, one can only assume that it is working correctly, until it doesn't. After a year of use, one cannot predict the functionality of any component in a car.
There have been issues with the 2JZ oil pumps for years, even the new ones, with debate over the pressure relief valve not being large enough to be effective, and seals blowing out of them regularly. There are ways to correct these problems, but only when they manifest themselves.
The welds on the block were to repair the casting tabs that mount the alternator, and commonly get broken in event of a collision. The trick is knowing the correct way to weld cast, and it must be done by preheating the cast and using nickel rod to make the repair, and then controlling the cool down period with insulation to ensure a strong repair without cracking - it is as strong as new, so don't get excited about that. There are no holes in the block or the block would have been tossed out. We can't replace every part of a Supra with new parts or the price would be close to what is was when new. :1poke:
I'm sure Orville will take care of things there - he is quite a competent mechanic and has worked with the 7M extensively. In future, let me know if you have issues and you won't have to deal with exhorbitant repair bills. :rolleyes:
We'll be watching here for updates.

like i said - A) i couldn't have brought the car to you as it was spewing oil all over the place and wouldn't have made it B) i would have no ride home and C) waterloo is too far out of the way for me and i dont want to put 150 kms on my car each time i need a repair

either way - this is a part that probably should be a brand new part if it breaks

·
Buy Wholesale
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
REXPWR said:
Her Taris me junior here with the fd. Hope your car gets out I forgot to mention that my uncle is a fourman at Toyota in Ottawa and i could have gotten the part for you. Next time, but I gotta make an appointment with you to get my car detailed it's looking dirty.

Also tomorrow were heading down to shannonville let me know if your interested in joining.
hey junior!!! i have to drop my mom and sister off at the airport tomorrow so unforunately i wont be able to make it - but we will cruise again next week!! :)

·
Buy Wholesale
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
finally - the part apparently was in stock somewhere close, and they got to work on it today, but unfortunately they weren't able to prevent removal of the oil pan to put the thing back together - needing to do so added 400 to the bill bringing the total repair bill to 1725 after taxes

atleast the car will be fixed soon, and i will be able to enjoy it for the remainder of july until i put it away for the summer

1 - 20 of 45 Posts