Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of changing my suspension components.I have ordered advanced design coilovers 950/700 springs.I am also considering removeing the rear sway bar after seeing data produced by Jeff Brauch on the track and skid pad.
Has anybody run their supra with no rear bar, apparently this is done on front engine rear wheel drive cars to get the power to the ground better.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Not that it would apply to anything you or us in here would be interested in, but I'd bet some of the drag racers have removed the rear bar. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning it relative to road racing though. Interesting experiment ...I read your info on Jeff's results so maybe not so experimental. Please let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quick said:
Where is this information located? I'd like to read as well...
With motons no rear sway bar adjustable upper arms and the following alignment
numbers per side
front
camber-2.5
caster 7degrees
toe 0
rear
camber-2.5
toe in 2mm
Jeff brauch achieved 1.4 g in a 3300 pound supra

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quick said:
Thanks, Terry. 1.4g is... crazy. Do you know what spring rates Jeff was running?
950 front
700 rear

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've never tried it, but it might work. Sway bars work by lifting on the inside wheel, so they decrease traction at that wheel (although the LSD may transfer enough power to offset that). I think I remember Kent Rafferty saying it didn't help for autoxing, but the dynamics of autox are different enough from track driving that the same may not apply, so it 's worth trying.

I just wish I had enough power that it was a big problem.....

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eric said:
I've never tried it, but it might work. Sway bars work by lifting on the inside wheel, so they decrease traction at that wheel (although the LSD may transfer enough power to offset that). I think I remember Kent Rafferty saying it didn't help for autoxing, but the dynamics of autox are different enough from track driving that the same may not apply, so it 's worth trying.

I just wish I had enough power that it was a big problem.....
I had someone driving behind me at the streets of willow last weekend and said that I was lifting a wheel on certain corners, my car is very stiff with the six point cage. I'll let you know how it works but it will be june before I have the new setup.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
I ran without the rear bar for a couple events until I got larger diameter sways. This was on Tein Flex coilovers with thier stock rates. I don't recall my alignment settings. It worked ok, but my spring rates weren't high enough to compensate for the lack of the rear bar...

·
Registered
265 Posts
bart97 said:
950 front
700 rear
Are you going to be using the same rates? If so I'd imagine it would work. I believe Jeff was using stock front bar as well? I wish someone made adjustable rodends for us.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I am going with the same rates, I agree adjustable rod ends would be great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts